Intelligent Chat: Inventions.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

What is the one invention for you that has had the most impact on the world or yourself?

I thought about complicated feats of engineering, bridges, space shuttles, satellites, steam trains, commerical airliners, Pyramids and so on and then realised for me it is infinitely more simple.

None of these amazing feats of human accomplishment would ahve been possible without the humble lever.

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

Flavored condoms.

-----

the printing press. Before it scribes were forced to hand write everything in order for it to be distributed among a large number of people, and even then it would not have reached as many minds as the press. Without it we would not be able to expand different ideas in literature, and all we would have to open our minds to would be visual art rather than different intellect, knowledge, and poetry of diverse cultures (other than oral distribution which still wouldn't meet the numbers of the press)

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

Communication, or language.

It's not like it was "invented," and no one is credited with originating it, but it is definately the thing that has most influenced our lives. If we could not communicate, none of the other inventions would have ever been possible.

• Mel
    18 years ago

underpants.

• !*!Zoe!*!
    18 years ago

This reminds me of a blonde joke....but I can't remember the puchline. Shoot.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Intelligence demands lateral thinking as well. Women are a great invention. Lots of bugs that need ironing out still, but they're getting there.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

psh, I'm going to pretend like chauvinist pricks dont rule the boards ;)

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Something made the female species and someone decided to put cannabis in a pipe.

Ergo they are inventions.

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

invention: A new device, method, or process developed from study and experimentation

People are not inventions. They are not devices brought about by experimentation or study, there you have it. move on.

• Amanda Bee
    18 years ago

Hmm...indoor plumbling? I guess.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

God created man... and women. Argue away... intelligently.

• Amanda Bee
    18 years ago

You're absolutely right, Bret. No reason to argue there:)

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

I love how people freak out over sardonic commentary and semantic technicality.

• Amanda Bee
    18 years ago

I know. It's so amusing to watch...

• Ð맆îñ¥
    18 years ago

computers

Or we wouldn't be here, could tyupe stuff and stuff would be very boring and slow. how bout that?

Jemma

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

bret: I'm not religous, so I guess it's matter of whatever you think.

I still think in terms of religion that people are hardly classified as devices though.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Pink, from a religious stand point you could say thet humans are a method of praise for God.

I know you hate religious talk, but invention is not just a matter of device as you have already stated.

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

yes, devices, methods, or processes

you could say that people are devices I suppose from a religous standpoint, but I hardly think that we're classified as methods or processes.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

I'm thinking very much outside of the box (how very Lucas of me)

Would you consider a test tube baby an invention?

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

mmm well probably yes considering it was indeed invented, but then again going by definition it's not necessarily a device.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Could you consider it to be a process?

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

no, the steps taken to create the being would be the process of bringing it into existance, the being itself would be the result of the process

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

OK, so if the process is the only part of invention, not the product, what is the product?

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

I think when defined as 'process', 'invention' (I'm not an idiot, quotations reduce confusion.) is directed at the steps taken as a method or way to go about things. Like the formula FOIL (algebra II) is an invention, or voting, a game, any action that requires steps to accomplish something (that doesn't necessarily have to produce something)

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Nice answer. Next bunch of theories...

We're on a poems and quotes site.

Is a poem, or a quote an invention? if the answer is not always yes, what is required for one to qualify as an invention?

• Renee
    18 years ago

Going back quite a few posts ago Pink wrote the definition

"invention: A new device, method, or process developed from study and experimentation"

well, I have another one that may answer your poems and quotes question, Bret

Invention: the creation of something in the mind.

therefore, poems being something you've created in your mind, they can be an invention.

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

hmm I think this is where the difference of 'invention' and 'creation' come in.

creation:An original product of human invention or artistic imagination

So I guess we can all see they're connected. So...let's say we cloned orlando bloom. Cloning-the process- would be the invention of whoever brought it about in the first place, and my new boyfriend would be the creation.

I could be completely wrong

Considering there's an artistic difference in the definitions, a poem or quote would most likely be considered a creation. Inventions are more used in terms of something that is brought about to make use of/produce/bring about something else. Now you could use that in terms of a poem by saying that poetry produces emotion and thought, but generally creation is the better word.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Nice,

Considering the fact that (even though many will not want to admit it) most poems, especially teen poems about love and depression have been written in circumstances close enough to call them the same in the creation process,

What constitutes an invented poem?

Is there a check list of requirements?

Does a poem have to be entirely original to be an invention?

Can a quote, by way of it's nature, ever be an invention?

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

Looking at those questions, perhaps we shouldn't use invention so loosely.
    Invention, I think, is used when something completely new and orginial is brought into existance. This means like if I so happened to bring about a new transporting vehicle or food recipe.

"most poems, especially teen poems about love and depression have been written in circumstances close enough to call them the same"

haha, well of course. "you left me...I need you...I'm torn in two"

So, is a love poem an invention? not the fact that it's a love poem per say, considering only the first love poem ever written would be considered an invention. A love poem generally, ...hmm...this is thinkable. I wouldn't call a love poem an invention considering it really doesn't pertain to art. Invention is really only used when directing something towards technology. I guess at the bottom line, use this:
    you've just written a spectacular piece which you find to be an absolute work of art and completely brilliant and you simply must tell the world of your surperb job on this poem.
    Do you run out of the den screaming, "look at my invention!" or "look at my creation!"?

Let me think about quotes for five minutes...

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

Quotes I say same thing. There's really no significant difference between them and poems, and they really don't pertain to technology, and they produce the same desired effect and purpose as a poem (I'm almost sure).

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

I think that if you were to write a new form of poetry (for example I wrote an Iambic septemeter) that could be used as a template for others I would consider the possibility of it being an invention as it is a device or method for further poems to come.

But yes, regardless of whether the new poem you wrote had fifteen words you had just invented, it is art over invention.

Quotes on the other hand I would never consider an invention as they are not created, they are something someone has already thought and/or said and written down for posterity for people to contemplate.

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

Unless someone so happened to create a different form of a quote, such as your Iambic septemeter for poetry.

I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT OPRAH

gotta go