Does Faith=Religion

• Dorotea©
    18 years ago

I took my walk, and now that I returned I feel like I'm stalking you...;)

I'll ponder the question does faith in uncertainty = religion. I'd say it doesn't. A religion isn't just for moments of uncertainty, it is what your entire beliefs are based on. If someone only believes in God, for example, when things are hard, then he doesn't TRULY believe. He only wants something higher to trust in (therefor making the 'trust' weak) so that he can have a little bit of hope....When hard times come, a human will automatically search for something higher to use as a crutch.

I hope that made sense.

Over all, what I'm pointing at is that faith in uncertainty = the belief that there is something higher up there, and using that as a crutch.

That was just my opinion =)

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

I have more faith in God than most people, but I am not that religious. A Christian school education but nothing more.

Having said that I didn't find my faith in God until I was 21.

"faith in uncertainty = the belief that there is something higher up there, and using that as a crutch."

I agree with that to an extent, but it's certainly much more than just a crutch for me. I think it comes down to individual cases and meriting them on their own deeds when you get a little more specific like that.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Religion has rules, guidelines and codes. Love is just love, it's wild, uncontrollable and unrestrained. The two have no similarity in that sense.

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

I was watching a movie ‘The Flight of the Phoenix’. In the movie people of different faiths were working together for a common goal. It would be difficult for anyone to ignore the power struggle even though all agreed that getting to a more favorable place was the goal. A man who made no claim to religion explained the story of a mythical bird in ancient Egyptian religion that rose from its ashes. Another man questioned why a man that claimed not to be religious would know that story. The man replied there is a difference between religion and spirituality. He said religion divides people while spirituality is suppose to unify them. The truth of the story is that they could only pretend to be self-reliant. The power that was needed was faith hope and love. But, no one was not humbled in this movie. It seems it is easy in our culture, to produce the illusion of being independent of a higher power I prefer to think of faith as an internal structure rather than an external crutch. As the songwriter ‘Vince Ambrosetti’ wrote ‘we can become what we believe’. It is my belief, that we are still in the stage of cultural development where we need unity in diversity

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Internal structure..

you hit my nail on the head, Michael. Thank you for finding the words I could not.