Serious writers much wanted

• EoB
    18 years ago

I'd very much like to come in contact with good, serious writers interested in getting their works reviewed by me. This is NOT the topic for those who are unable to give more than "wow, loved it, 5/5"...You stay out of this topic.

I'm hoping to form a group, or something, of serious writers willing to give serious and honest comments on the works of the other members...

Anyone in?

Hopefully, the members of this group will get their poems reviewed honestly not too long after they submit them....

I have not yet given much thought to whom I want in the group, but serious writers such as Chris Walker, JHarrison, Sunny, Meena etc are most welcome....

THose three were the first few I came up with and they have all impressed me with some of their works...But I know that there are plenty of other very talented writers out there...

So what do you say?

I'll make a list of the members as soon as people (hopefully) start to sign up...

Bob Shank too, by the way...

peace, as he would have said...

• EoB
    18 years ago

and by the way, spelling is important in here

• EoB
    18 years ago

great...

• Amanda Bee
    18 years ago

Count me in too. I would LOVE to be a part of that. Great idea Enslavement!

• EoB
    18 years ago

You are both most welcome

• EoB
    18 years ago

haha....

great...5/5 hun...

(sorry about forgetting you in the first post Mike:P)

• ASPHYXIATED
    18 years ago

sure I would love to be in, if im aloud that is.

• EoB
    18 years ago

AT this point, the following writers are in:
    Chris Walker
    Amanda Bee
    Mike Glass
    Sunny
    Ismail

As for you, Lisa, I do not know anything about you. The writers above are all serious and do, as far as I know, give serious and thorough critics. I have read a few of your comments allready and they, at least, were not thorough enough for this group. Besides, they all take great of writing correct English, which, as I mentioned, is very important here.

What do you all think?

• EoB
    18 years ago

I was thinking of making a topic where we, the members, could post the title of our most recent poem, so that others can read it...

Suggestions?

PLease:P

• Sean
    18 years ago

I'd love to join, if other members wouldn't mind? (Hoping that ofcourse you meant me, in my egotistical world)

Though i am young, and am unable to give that good of critique...I do try.

Edit - and if you reply to this within the next few hours, take knowledge in the fact i'm sitting in a exam hall ¬.¬

• EoB
    18 years ago

That would have been great, Chris. I am familiar with some of Sean's work, and he is really good, and seems to be a serious writer too, so there is no reason why he shouldn't be in.

I'm not the best to give comments either, Sean, as my English is quite limited. But I watch and learn, and you should too, if you think there is room for improvement.

Yes, we all have personal email, Chris, and as you said, we can take advantage of that.

But to begin with, what do we do?

Firstly, we need a name. Not a cool one, but just a name.

Secondly, shall we make a new topic, in which we may post poems that we want other members to read?

And should we make some rules?

Chris, you signed up first. Say something smart:P

cheers

• Shædow Poet
    18 years ago

Is there still room in your group?
    Sure, I am not be the best poet, but I am very eager to improve. I try to give honesty, and I like to be told how I can improve my writing.
    Thanks all, but yet again, I understand if I'm not... talented enough.

• Dorotea©
    18 years ago

Hmm...

I also want to improve. From what I've seen, it's hard to get serious critique on this site, and being in some kind of group like this, whose main idea is to give critique, would really help.

I'd like to join, and yes I do take my writing seriously.

Dorotea

• EoB
    18 years ago

You seem to be a good writer, and an honest one too. You are in.

here follows the list:

Enslavement of Beauty
    Chris Walker
    Amanda Bee
    Sunny
    Mike Glass
    Ismail
    JHarrison
    Sean
    Shædow Poet

Why do you have an "æ" in your name? :P

• EoB
    18 years ago

And Dorothea...

• Dorotea©
    18 years ago

Thank you. :)

• Shædow Poet
    18 years ago

The "æ" in my name is a mystery for me, I just decided to have it... it was actually in a book I read by Justin D'ath.
    But thank you.

• EoB
    18 years ago

"æ" is actually the 27th letter in the Norwegian alphabeth.

Where I come from, æ actually means I, as in "I am from Norway".

• ASPHYXIATED
    18 years ago

It dosnt make sense? Im sorry I was tired.

• EoB
    18 years ago

MIke, would you care to look at a poem I wrote called "Shooting Seagulls off the Sky"?

It's my first without rhymes, so don't be to hard:P

Name one of your most recent ones and I'll check it out!

thank you!

• Shædow Poet
    18 years ago

Enslavement: I know you didn't personally ask me to read that poem, but I read it and left my thoughts.

• Shædow Poet
    18 years ago

If anyone could critique on my latest poem "Living On Violet Eagles" it would be much appretiated. Especially if you know French, I could need a little bit of help (if you read it, you will understand what I am talking about).
    Thanks in advance to the people in this group. If you do not wish to read it- that is fine. I was just asking.

If anyone wants me to read one of theirs, just ask.

• Sean
    18 years ago

I feel touched with both what you said Chris, and same to you ESB, and i'm extremly eager to improve my writing ability. (Which to be fair isn't very much of one as of yet, as Chris said i am young in my writing ability)

Few thoughts are merely as said before, an exchange of email could be critical to this if the maturity of some members of this site rings through and start complaining, believing it to be elitist or something of the sort.

I really appreicate this chance to improve myself, there's one person who i really enjoy poetry from on this site and thats Bret Higgins, though it's not my place to suggest people - he's somebody i'd think be a good benefit to this.

• Shædow Poet
    18 years ago

Sunny: I think that's a lovely idea. But who would be the email person?

• Sean
    18 years ago

If you simply collect all the emails together and everytime somebody asks for a critique on a poem forward that same email to everybody else then that'll be easier and losens the obligation of one person.

All you need is to email one person to begin with - who can then take those emails and forward it to each of the members of this critique club.

Then from then, if i wanted to get a critique on a piece i'd forward the poetry link to every email address sent to my email acount of the critique club.

(Obviously just an idea)

• Shædow Poet
    18 years ago

Oh ok... I like that. And now I understand it.
    I will write more on this thread once I am fully awake, but now, I have to go, I've got school tomorrow.

• Dorotea©
    18 years ago

Sean: Great idea.

I have a poem, called As of the Dawn, which I posted today. I'd like to get some critique on it, and if any of you would check it out I'd appreciate it a lot.

I'm off to read some of the poems which the people above named.

• Dorotea©
    18 years ago

Yes, I noticed that too. Almost every one of you is on my favorites list.

• Sean
    18 years ago

Tonight, i'll go through and comment alot on peoples works much like Chris suggested.

Please be open and harsh if a work is needed to be harsh towards, no point in hiding true feeling for a piece out of kindness, that gets a writer nowhere.

• felicia
    18 years ago

About the first post, I don't think you should judge people by the way they write. Because everybody has their own point of veiw when writing poetry. That is what makes it so special. Just because people don't spell things right doesn't mean their not true writers. Look at Shakespear. Many of the things that he wrote he misspelled just so it would sound right when you read it.

• felicia
    18 years ago

I would have to admit that if something really, truley sucks you would be a better person if you told them so.

• felicia
    18 years ago

Im just saying you shouldn't, not allow someone to call them selves true writers.

• Synyster
    18 years ago

I'm all for it. I like serious comments, because they are more helpful than a "wow...5/5!" So count me in.

• ASPHYXIATED
    18 years ago

Thanks Mike its good to learn :)
    Im just going to look at this topic now and again to try and learn.
    bye.

• HOLLY ARMER
    18 years ago

This is the first time I've read this post and I'd love to be included! I like getting honest feedback on my poetry! Also I feel like I have the ability to give honest criticism! Just let me know if I can join....Holly

• Shædow Poet
    18 years ago

Hmm... JH, I read your poem, I wont leave a comment, because I must admit, I am also very confused to its meaning.

• Sean
    18 years ago

I have a few guesses, though would feel rather idiotic if i got the meaning wrong...may pm him about it, and then leave comment rather than leave comment and look a idiot. :p

• Dorotea©
    18 years ago

JH,
    I am, like the others, also very confused about you poem...I read it and didn't comment either because I wouldn't know what to say.

• Sean
    18 years ago

Have to say thank you to both Dorotea and shadowpoet for extremly useful critiques, and i apologise for my lack of effort thus far, i shall try my best to comment on peoples works now.

• Shædow Poet
    18 years ago

Well, I left my own comment. And if I'm wrong then... I think I need work on commenting and analysing poems.