Intelligent Chat: Atheism vs. Theism

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

A few questions that we can discuss in a respectful and intelligent manner:

Why do Atheists tend to attack posts that regard the subject of God with disdain and sarcasm?

Is there something to be taken from the fact that in general, teenage atheists (not all) lash out without tolerance of conflicting beliefs?

The argument of science and Darwin's Theory of Evolution always come around to an extent. Seeing as the Theory of Evolution is as much a theory as Theism is, does it carry anymore weight?

Is an Athiest and an Evolutionist the same thing or is it just convenience or something else entirely?

• EoB
    18 years ago

I think atheists tend to be sarcastic because as they see it, that you believe and worship something that simply does not exist in their world.

The difference between Darwin's theory and Theism is that some aspects of it is actually proven, while Theism has yet to be proven.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

I have been very careful with my wording in the questions above to make sure I am not tarring everyone with the same brush.

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

*haven't read replies*

"Why do Atheists tend to attack posts that regard the subject of God with disdain and sarcasm?"

Well, it depends on the post. I don't attack the subject unless I find a comment about it incredibly idiotic or insulting.
    ex: "God is perfect. You cannot question God. The bible says God was, so God is."
    Now I don't mean to insult, but I can't stand it when someone tries to make an argument saying that something is real because a book told them it was. I don't lash out because it's religious, just because of the stupidity (in my opinion).
    "Anyone who doesn't believe in God or doesn't follow his laws is going to hell"
    This is both idiotic and insulting, for obvious reasons.

"Is there something to be taken from the fact that in general, teenage atheists (not all) lash out without tolerance of conflicting beliefs?"

Haha, well I'd like to think I have been tolerant for the most part, and I definitely have respect for conflicting beliefs, trust me. I might not have that open of a mind though for some that I find, such as those that teach discrimination but preach peace. But anyway, the reason why teenagers are so disrespectful is because...well...we're teenagers. Naturally the younger people are going to lash out more, use whatever you like-hormones, inexperience, the teenage belief that whatever they say is right...

"The argument of science and Darwin's Theory of Evolution always come around to an extent. Seeing as the Theory of Evolution is as much a theory as Theism is, does it carry anymore weight?"

Probably not but it turns into a good discussion when arguing conflicting beliefs, pointing out faults in the theories etc;.

"Is an Athiest and an Evolutionist the same thing or is it just convenience or something else entirely?"

Not all the time, no. An atheist is a person who does not believe in an all powerful being or great creator at all. And evolutionist is (obviously) someone who supports the evolution theory. An atheist doesn't necessarily have to support the evolution theory; they could disagree with it completely and think that earth and its inhabitants were brought about a completely different way, but not believe in a spiritual being.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

No, it means they don't believe in the existance of a higher being. It does not mean they recognise anything else.

You're making more of it than is there, Ismail.

• EoB
    18 years ago

I really don't understand what you are trying to say Ismail...

"Then they are believing in disbelieving him. That is what i found ironic. "

Atheists alltogether don't believe in a higher deity...

Agnosticians (I'm really not sure if that is what you call them) do not belong to a religion, but do not deny the existence of a higher being.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

I question everything I see a flaw in. it is not just what you say I question, no one, not even myself is free from my high levels of scrutiny.

Denying the existance of something does not mean you have to recognise it in the first place.

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

Let’s take an undisputed truth of today and compare to a concept. To be unbiased I will use the heliocentric theory How many people recognized the truth that the earth revolves around the sun in the fifteenth century? How many people cared? I am not denying that the story of Genesis was true. Or that it was the inspired word of God. Astrologers also believed that the earth was the center of the universe. I just want expand the point Bret made ‘Denying the existence of something does not mean you have to recognize it in the first place’ as I‘m sure Bret agrees, truth does not depend on recognition. I believe that the unchanging God is not confined by time. Yet, I believe that only our understanding of a constant creation, and the Creator changes Many people such as myself accept the theory of evolution because it is in a book. I believe the Bible was written for the purpose of the soul and spirit

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Very nicely put, Michael.

I see it in a very similar fashion. We grow as a race and grasp knowledge at an advancing rate (perhaps exponentially). I believe our perspective of God grows at the same rate and he allows us to understand more and more about what He put before us. Some people will see this as nothing more than science, and that science has nothing to do with God. Some people have argued that DNA proves that God does not exist, but I see science as the expression of God. DNA we see are just the building blocks He used to do his work.

I also see evolution as more proof of God. God takes a template, creates man. Uses that template, alters it slightly and makes a primate, allows it to develop and so on ad nauseum.

It used to be that the elements were earth, water, fire and air, but as our knowledge has increased we have learned to break down those elements to smaller and smaller degrees.

Evolutionists are no different from Theists. It is either something they have been taught from birth or something they have come to believe on their own terms. That isn't that big a deal for me as long as both parties act like humans, the way we are supposed to, with morals and decency, humility and decency.

As and when we die and our theory on theism is validated, disproved or even completely blown out of the water I think all that will matter is that in the last few minutes or seconds of life, before we take the next step, we can look back and know enough in our hearts to be able to say "I lived my life well."

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

Very well put Bret, I agree
    I have read a lot of history. Every age thought that they were close to knowing all that they needed to know.'That isn't that big a deal for me as long as both parties act like humans, the way we are supposed to, with morals and decency, humility and decency.' I know that both parties such as science and religion should not conflict. Truth is constant in my opinion but I know that errors have been made all through history in science and religions. If it were possible for all to know the truth there would be peace.