Christianity

• natalie
    18 years ago

Just thought I would open a Christianity topic as it keeps coming up and thought it might be useful for Christians to show their views and non christians to ask about them and stuff, ya know ? :D take care allxxxx

• Renee
    18 years ago

word.

I myself think it's utterly ridiculous, this whole "christian" thing. It make me laugh, haha.

So many people use the bible as an excuse. or they recite the bible and in the same sentence contradict it.

I like being free in my religious beleif. I leave god alone, and he leaves me alone. We live our lives in peace. He stays on his side, I stay on mine. And I would like it to stay that way. When I criticize about peoples beleifs, I'm criticizing them, not god. God's good in my book. It's his damn followers who fuck up his words that I'm against.

• Lipton
    18 years ago

Heh, what is a Christian?

That term, nowadays has been so distorted, that even the people that call themselves don't even know what they're doing...

Many "Christians" call themselves so, so God will okay them, and they can get into Heaven... Not how it works...

A true Christian is someone who abides by God's Law, in every aspect. No, Christians aren't perfect, and never will be (until Heaven), but, a long explanation short, they delight in doing what God has told them to do, and when they mess up, they seek forgiveness.

That is what the Bible tells us, and am only repeating.

~Ciao Lipton

• natalie
    18 years ago

A Christian is also a follower of Christ, someone who follows and believes Jesus' teachings, death and resurrection.

• natalie
    18 years ago

Lol nice one trackster i agree, yes Christians aren't perfect, but if they were they wouldn't be human huh?

• †JustAri†
    18 years ago

.....i agree with Renee.....

• Lipton
    18 years ago

Ismail:

What is with you? Must you try to find something wrong with everything I say? I am not judging others' faith. I am simply saying what God has said. God is the judge.

"Isn't believeing in God and saying the person saying he believes in God and Christanity. What makes a person go to heaven...Hmm. Again you are judging which is not your place to do so."

That's not what I said. I said that many people call themselves Christians, and they don't even act like one. Besides, Satan and his demons acknowledge God, and look at where they are.

"Hmm, i always thought a true believer is always a person who takes God's Law and put it in his daily life. That is what a true believer is"

That's what I said: "A true Christian is someone who abides by God's Law, in every aspect."

"As for saying what a true christian is Lipton, tell me. Are we not human, why do you think that everyone is condemned to hell for making a mistake...Hmm. Stop being a perfectionist, and be human."

Guess what? You obviously didn't read my post. Here is what I said:

"No, Christians aren't perfect, and never will be (until Heaven)..."

And:

"...and when they mess up, they seek forgiveness."

I never said that Christians have to be perfect. I said quite the opposite.

Now, quit fighting with me over every single little thing. I'm serious, it's getting old.

~Ciao Lipton

• Lipton
    18 years ago

1) I merely said what God says in Scripture, so you're calling God's view twisted, not mine. I wasn't saying what people are supposed to do. I was saying what GOD SAID that Christians should be.
    2) Everything you said in your post was contradicted with something in my post.

It sounds a lot like you're just fighting for the heck of it.

~Ciao Lipton

• Lipton
    18 years ago

"Well Lipton if i said God's view was twisted. I would surely know of it"

Apparently, you didn't, because you just did, and didn't seem to know, until I explained it to you.

"Basically the scripture is there for man to pick and choose which one applies to him"

NO IT IS NOT! That is why we have so many different denominations in the world; because people pick and chose what Scriptures they want to deal with, and leave the rest out. One verse must be taken into context of the whole Bible. Open a Bible sometime, and look down the center strip of the Bible, and off to the sides... You'll see references to other parts of the Bible.

"Now, if a person leads a good life, he will go to heaven. Correct."

Incorrect, as God has said. One must believe in God, and confess that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. THIS IS WHAT GOD SAYS IN THE BIBLE.

"If i wanted to fight with you just for the heck of it Lipton, it would not be on a matter such as religion."

Maybe, maybe not. However, your first post made claims that had no grounds to stand on, because each claim was rebutted by something in the same post of mine.

~Ciao Lipton

• Lipton
    18 years ago

"Apparently not Lipton, you just said that what you say is according to scripture. Now how would i know if you were telling the truth or not? And how would i know if i really cursed the almighty. With so many religions, one shall never know which is right. Correct."

You can READ the Bible, if that's not too much trouble for ya, and I'm not saying, "MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY!"

"Yes, there are so many books, that one may get confused. Which one do you lead Lipton? The book of Pslams or The book of Job"

Here's a book for you: The Bible. The WHOLE Bible is interconnected. Not just Psalms, not just Proverbs.

"And in the Quran he says the same thing. One shall never know who to choose. Thus living your life as a honest man, god will judge you on your deeds rather than core beliefs."

This is where we differ, and cannot proceed. I believe the complete opposite of your last phrase: "God will judge you on your deeds rather than core beliefs."

"My first post questioned each claim you made, nothing wrong with that...Hmm."

What's wrong with your claims? Oh yeah... You made claims that, IN MY SAME POST I rebutted. Read my next post after yours. Really, all I had to do was repost what I said.

~Ciao Lipton

• natalie
    18 years ago

Flippin heck :P well i have to say Christianity is based on grace, that God with His grace will forgive your sins, not on deeds. Every person will do wrong things no matter how good they are because they are not perfect, and it's not like you can have a level of bad things that gets u into heaven and one that doesnt

• Lipton
    18 years ago

" You are just a brat who wants God to love him more than others. "

1) Name-calling, again.
    2) No, I don't want God to just love me more than others. That, you made up in your own mind.

"Your God or in your own eyes you see god as a vengeful man, who wants people to follow a certain way. "

God is vengeful.

Deuteronomy 32:35 "Vengence is mine."

God has a specific way for us to come to Heaven... That is what I believe, because that is what God has told us in the Bible.

"God judges a man's deeds and character. And then his beliefs"

YOUR God might, but mine doesn't. If you don't have Jesus Christ in your heart, then, no matter what kind of life you lived, God will not accept you into Heaven. That is what I believe, because that is what God has said.

"But ofcourse no one knows whose religion is right... "

Here's where you completely null your entire post. Here you are, telling me that my beliefs are wrong (which by the way, are based on a religion different than yours). So, stop saying I'm wrong, because, as you've said, "no one knows."

Ismail, I think our time of debate has come to a close. From this point forward, I will no longer debate with you on any topic. Why? Because you can't seem to see what I'm saying. You seem to be a little too dense to know what I'm trying to say, and then you make unsupported claims about me, and won't back down from them. Then, our debates turn into silly little "my opinion vs. your opinion" things, and they never get stimulating. I accept what other people say... It may not seem that way with you, because no matter WHAT I say, in your mind, I'm wrong.

This is my final post to you, Ismail. If you want to talk to me, E-Mail me, but I will not be spamming the boards trying to show you that we believe two different things, and you just happen not to like mine.

~Ciao Lipton

• Kevin
    18 years ago

You know what really gets on my wick when i'm discussing something with anyone in here? Endless quotes...might be from the bible...might be from something i've just written...it's such a lame way to put across your viewpoint. One is ok maybe...and even then only if an individual has made a claim about never swearing or insulting anyone..it shouldn't be the focal point of your post though.

Lipton old boy...you really win no favours by peppering your posts with the good word....this is a discussion forum about peoples opinions, not a cut and paste bible class...mabye i'm the only one who switches off when folk start ripping appropriate sections of the scriptures to back up their viewpoint...it shouldn't suprise me..i mean thats basically what the Catholic church has been doing for centuries to control people...why should it's followers be any different. It just rattles me bones because i really enjoy listening to folk talk about their faith...but only if i feel it's coming from them in a personal way...in their words...

And ismail....you seem intent on taking chunks of other peoples words, reposting them and then leaving some weak nit picking comment of your own which usually finds no flaw at all..and this is all your posts are...it's a really weak way to argue your point. The reason for this is because in order to offer someone a different point of view...you have to actually offer them something new...something well explained thats not completely composed of critical maxims concerning their original points.

You can't say you're right by telling someone else they are wrong...it's only a half truth.

It seems like you don't have any truth of your own.

Oh and on topic...Christianity, which is a book at heart...to me is so illogical, i couldn't ever believe in it as a adult.

• EoB
    18 years ago

I'll say my meaning...

If God really sends those who doesn't believe in him to hell, then he is a bad God. I have never ever encountered any sign whatsoever that the Christian God is up there.

I have no reason to believe in God.

If he sends me to hell for his lack of clear signs, then I am glad not to believe in him

• Lipton
    18 years ago

Kevin:

Ismail was trying to tell me who God is, and I was merely showing Him what God says He is. Sorry if my using the Bible turns you off. I was trying to prove the point to Ismail. However, that will never happen, so I'm done trying.

~Ciao Lipton

• EoB
    18 years ago

haha

• undying blusher
    18 years ago

Me toooooo. People act like they know what God wants...they use it as an excuse for what they're doing and....meh, it's in some of my poetry. ;)

http://www.my-diary.org/users/181244

(third entry ^ if you're bored or curious...the rest of my work is on there that isn't posted here.)

• Renee
    18 years ago

I think you all are too caught up in your scientific excuses and researched answers.

What do you feel in your heart? I don't give a shit what god said, what is YOUR take on the situation. and don't tell me your take is god's take. that makes you a mindless follower and I have no respect for you for that.

And Ismail, can you quit getting off topic and bashing other peoples observations of you? for example when Kevin said you were nitpicking. So what? leave it alone, get back to the subject at hand.

• Renee
    18 years ago

yea, thats why I posted that. that was the whole idea. to bring it back.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

"Now when i see something wrong, I try and question it."

This is a thread to ask about Christianity (as denoted in the opening passage) not attack Lipton (and anyone else who isn't you) at every opportunity just because you don't like the guy. I see something wrong there. Do you see something wrong there too and and if so will you question it?

If you have a question about Christianity then ask it, if not, kindly stow it.

My question. How do Christians view their particular faith compared to other denominations within Christianity? (Mormons, Baptists and so on)

• Renee
    18 years ago

Actually Bret, I think Ismail has a crush on Lipton. It seems that when guys insult someone its a sign of puppy love. how sweet!

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Oh, I forgot. Bret is a proper noun, please capitalise it.

• Renee
    18 years ago

I beleive Renee is a proper noun, too.

As for my immature stupidity, again, with the name calling. Not something I respect.

It was a joke. haha. deal with it.

• Kevin
    18 years ago

Out of respect for Brets request that we actually stay on topic..i have a question for the Christians in the house.

Given that the history of the Church is not good on many levels, and i need only say Witch burning, crusades and you know what i mean. What do you think of the church as it is now. I mean, from a historical point of view, the church has been linked to social retardation...in 20 or 30 years, the stances the church are taking now will most likely be viewed as rediculous..given that it has never been in line with the times.

I've not worded this very well, but if you can make sense of it..what do you think?

Bottom line, most christians admit that the church has consistantly been out of line in the past....but has anything really changed? what are the crimes of the church today that will in 10 years time seem unspeakable?

• EoB
    18 years ago

I could not agree more with the above...

That's why I stay out of organized religion...

I want to write more, but I am sick and tired of religion..

peace

• natalie
    18 years ago

I cant stand for the church but for Christianity. The teachings and beliefs of Christianity differ from any other religion that I know of because it is about grace. Other religions teach that you need to do good works to get into heaven, Christianity teaches that you have to be sorry for the bad stuff you do and try to be better, it is about forgiveness from God. Some of the structure for todays laws are based on Jesus' teachings. The highest of all things He taught was to love God and one another as yourself. Anything the church ahs done which contradicts these laws is not acting for God or Jesus but for their own reasons.

• XxXangeltearsXxX
    18 years ago

hey Natalie i just want to say that i am with you 100% on this one....its hard having people diss your faith isnt it? well if you need to talk somewhere where we wont have people trying to make us feel bad email me!!!