Beggars and The Homeless?

• †JustAri†
    18 years ago

Uuuh....caused by overpopulation is what i think. loss of jobs, inability to make a living.

Peaces.

• †JustAri†
    18 years ago

^yeah that's true too....doesn't that relate to goverment?? i am young and a little dimwitted i just wanna know. lol

Peaces.

• ~*Ley*~
    18 years ago

Excellent point Bob...
    ~*Freak*~

• ~*Ley*~
    18 years ago

But sometimes you make choices that will ineitably lead to homelessnesss
    ~*Freak*~

• EoB
    18 years ago

"some of those very people that we look down on in life, fought wars to enable you and I the freedoms we now have, "

Which wars?

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

most of the homeless that have been in wars was the vertrans i think i read that somewhere on a web site dedicated to people who try to help them. i do agree with you bob, most people only care about themself which is sad, because sometimes it may take a life changing event for them to figure out that it's not all about them, some don't even figure that out. living one hour away from Detroit most of our homeless people are due to drugs and drinking, but also Michigan has been facing massive job loses, we are either the second or first state in the rankings for the most unemployed compared with Alaska. So some homeless are due to thier own bad mistakes and some were out of their control, but you can't always blame the parents.

~PLP~ lil slam~

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

Ismail have you ever came close to being homeless. just wondering?

• A Bnormal
    18 years ago

If a homeless person came up to you and asked you for a dollar to get some food, would you give it to them???

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

My point is it is hard to get a job if your homeless. Whether it was your choice or not. If you owned a store, and had a help wanted sign in the window, would you hire a man who came in looking scruffy, smelling like they haven't sahowered in a while, and had clothes that looked tlike they had been worn for weeks. If you say no, then you are along with the majority of other stores, store owners, managers etc. So even if you do drugs and are homeless because of that, it would be hard to find a job.

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

Besides corporate america is to blame, if it weren't for them the many homeless (by "choice as you say) in america could be put into houses. Corporations don't like to pay what they don't have to. The lowest possible wages for that position goes. If they would pay more, then the druggies would be able to have enough money for drugs and for food and shelter. And it would satisfy those who are lazy as well. THey could work less and still make enough money to afford what they need to live in a house while having the minimum working days and maximum amount of days off.

• ~*Ley*~
    18 years ago

i have one questions...how does losing your family make you homeless?
    ~*Freak*~

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

just to add in if some people won't give a homeless man or woman a dollar because they think that they will just collect for a while until they have enough money for thier drugs (which would take a while) because this is a commen excuse that people use. if you are one of these people then take time out of your day and go to Mc Donalds and buy them stuff off the dollar menu, it's the first step to help feed them anyway. this just kind of sparked my attention when someone asked if they asked for one dollar would you give it too them.

also Bob if you were talking to me about my post about bad choices led them there, i did say sometimes it's not all bad choices, i just stated most of the time.

~PLP~ lil slam~

• XxXangeltearsXxX
    18 years ago

I feel sorry for them, when i lived in england i was in london and i walked past a homless guy whilst carrying a load of msdonalds, and he looked at me with those eyes that made me want to give it all to him! it was so sad!

• Tammy
    18 years ago

God spoke to me on this issue a long time ago.
    Each time I encounter a homeless person, I give them $10. I don't really care what they do with the money. I look at it like this, if they are scamming me then they will deal with God for that. If not, then God has blessed them. Come on people, it's only money. People love money way too much. There are A LOT of more important things in life than money...like loving other people for one. Love of money has messed this world up so bad. I understand we need money to live, but most of us have enough that $10 to feed a hungry person wouldn't kill us. Where is the compassion in this world we live in??

Bob... Great poem, it brought tears to my eyes. God bless your beautiful heart. I wish there were more in this world like you.

• EoB
    18 years ago

Well, I do truly doubt that many of the homeless fought in that war...

A few, maybe...

oh well

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

i'm not stereotyping! i know that most homeless here do use drugs which is why some people don't give them money for food because they think that they will use it for drugs, so i'm saying if you are worried about it then go buy them food, a least help them out in some way. but yes most homeless near detroit are sadly drug users. i'm not stupidly saying this information i found web sites and read about them, i've seen detroit many times. yes there are homeless that don't do drugs and don't drink but you can't ignore the fact that there are some out there because of drugs. i wasn't saying that ALL homeless are drug users. i was simply making a way for people who fear that thier money was going towards drugs to find a way to be able to help. And i wasn't exactly protecting the drug dealers, only from the death penalty and the fact that people chose to buy thier drugs. you say protecting as if i was saying that dealing drugs was perfectly fine and people should do drugs.

~PLP~ lil slam~

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

Ashely:

c)giving them drugs could possibly make them want the craving more. Some may become violent possibly if they get strong enough of a craving, it will only make it harder for them to quit.

d) it's illegal to pick up hitch hikers, at least in Michigan. plus you are trusting a total stranger, i wouldn't pick up a hitch hiker even if they weren't a homeless person because you don't know thier true intentions.

e) it's a very nice offer, but again you are letting a stranger in your house and even though you may trust them, you never know of the danger possibilities.

f) real smart idea, i'm glad you told this advice! ya right! you are letting a stranger stay in your house while you sleep they could either steal from you, or expaned your imagination of what a person may do.

I'm sorry if you disagree with me about this, but this is one i won't change my mind on, trusting a total stranger within your home for possible nights, or even just one night. if you want to let them have a bed for a night find a cheap hotel and buy them a night or so. if you want to help clean up give them some fresh clothes and maybe a bar of soap and they can possibly find some place to shower. it's one thing to help them and it's another to trust your life with them. you have some good ideas but they haven't been thought through very well from my view.

~PLP~ lil slam~

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Ashley
    My husband & I have "taken in" a few homeless men over the past few years. They have stayed in our house until they were back on their feet. YOU may have a problem with doing this, but not everyone does. In fact, in a few years when all of our children move out, I fully intend to use the 4 extra bedrooms we will have upstairs to house the homeless & help them have a more decent life. Most of them just need someone to care a little bit about them. I usually try to put myself in the others shoes and think what would I like someone to do if it were me in their situation.

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

Being homeless or a beggar is not something the majority of people choose. There are exceptions. Where I live there also use to be a man who would pose as a homeless beggar and people would give him money. When my friend asked him why he didn't get a job and a house, he said that he had a family and a house and he use to have a job, but begging actually brought in more money than his job did. So he switched. But even people who are homeless because of alchohol or drug addiction didn't choose to be homeless. They try there hardest to live somewhere. They try and talk people into letting them stay with them. No matter where. They chose drugs, or alchohol not being homeless. But as a consequence they may have become homeless.

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

the more drugs you have the greater need you have to get them. handing them more drugs could effect them. If they are on drugs then it will still make them crave it. thats why the longer you smoke the harder it is for you to quit because you've depended on it for so long. so yes it will make them crave it more, wheather they were on it or not at the time you hand it too them. They may try something, you don't know how desperate they may be for your wallet, clothes and food, i'm not making them sound like bad people but you do have to face the fact that even the nicest people in the world get taken adventage of. if they have been out on the streets and welcomed to a new warm home you don't know how they may react or how bad they may want it. Some people have to much trust in this world, sorry to say. but this is not about my trust issues, i just have to judge the right time when to trust and when not to trust. Yes people take risk, but there are risk that are considered good and some that are considered bad. i have already found ways to make your list work without having to invite them into your home. like get them a bus pass, and a hotel room so they can clean up for a few days.

and Tammy thats nice of you to find people and house them but not all of them can be trusted like that.

~PLP~ lil slam~

• Tammy
    18 years ago

My mistake Ashley... Sorry I was actually talking to jacklyn in that post.

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

It is kind of like that everlast song what its like. If you haven't heard it, listen to it, then you will understand what I mean

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Jacklyn
    You do have to be careful when doing these things. We don't just go pick people up & bring them home. (we do have the safety of our 5 kids to think about)
    We get to know these people..become friends with them, then we do a lot of praying & decide if they pose a threat to the children or ourselves before moving them in. The last man, David, did end up kinda creeping me out...however, I prayed & asked if he was a threat to me for God to remove him from our lives...I have never seen him again since I prayed that prayer. (cool how God answers prayers, huh?) We always trust God to keep us safe in doing these things.

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Ismail
    I am FAR from perfect, believe me!! But I do have a lot of faith in my God.

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

i am looking at them as human being, and i do know people who were once homeless. i haven't been directly in thier shoes ever i can admit that. but everyone has problems, and some problems effect people's lifes forever. i have problems, you have problems and they have problems. i am not saying that they are bad, horrible people that you should never help because they will certainly harm you. i am giving people ways to help them, just in a way that will also keep you safe. And no i have no such talent as being in all places at all times, that's impossible. i am not saying that homeless people are all untrustable, just for anybody you don't know always keep caution, even if they were well dressed keep caution, it doesn't matter how they dress i always keep caution around strangers to see what they really may be like at first. I'm not like the police that you talk about, i wish i could somehow find a way to help them all. Also i am asumming you haven't been to Detroit Michigan, it's a huge city and yes there are alot of run down areas, a lot of drug dealing occuring, violence and there are a lot of homeless or on the edge of being able to keep thier house people in this city. of course not all homelessness in Detroit is due to drugs, but it is one of the main problems this city is facing.

~PLP~ lil slam~

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

Tammy at least you take caution, but i had assumed there was some safty assurance you had to give yourself and husband before you invited a stranger to your house. I'm glad God has given you the support you needed to do this. i hope you don't see me as a bad person, just a person that has to have more assurance for her own safty but still wants to help. sorry if i have offended you or your family for it's kind deeds. if i didn't want to help the homeless then i wouldn't have given other options for people to use besideds ashleys, because not all people are willing help like that.

~PLP~ lil slam~

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Jacklyn
    I don't see any reason that you would have offended me or anyone else. It's not my place to judge what anyone does or doesn't do, so no, I don't think you are a bad person. I hope I didn't say anything to make you think that. If I did I apologize. That's not how I was trying to make this sound. The fact is I get so much joy out of helping others...I always have & I hope I always will. My husband, on the other hand, I had to kinda ease him in to this ... he's coming around pretty well. He knows my heart & knows this is what makes me happy,so he supports me in it. The thing with David did make him have second thoughts about doing this, because he feared for my safety. But he is a strong man of God & knows God will keep all of us safe. We plan to continue helping where we can. I realize this isn't something everyone would be comfortable doing. I only wish people wouldn't look the other way & act like these people aren't out there.
    Take care!!

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

sorry i didn't know what omnipresent was so i looked it up on my computer real quick and it said that it was the ability to be in all places at once, normally i don't use webster on line but my dictionary is at my grandma's i left it there. like i have said i am not saying that they are all druggies, i am not trying to generalize them. i have opened my eyes, i am not saying i know what true homelessness is, i wouldn't be able to unless if i was them. i am saying that some of thier lifes have fallen to the use of drugs. i'm not speaking for all homeless people, i don't think that i could cover all of that and i never said ALL homeless people, and if i had i didn't mean to. i'm not saying this was all thier fault, yes some had made bad choices along the way but some are born into it, or have been unfortanate, i hope i am clearing my thoughts up to you. i'm not trying to place them all in catagories, i am not being heartless on this subject, i have listed ways to help them, i'm not trying to be stupid on this whole opinion like you make me sound.

Tammy: you haven't made me think that i had offended you at all, i just wanted to make sure i haven't. Ismail seems to be having a problem with what i am saying and i wan't sure wheather you were or not, just you have talked to me twice above on this topic, so i had thought maybe i had triggered something with you too. i think it's great that your husband seems to realize the fact that you want to do this and is ok with this.

~PLP~ lil slam~

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Jacklyn
    I was only responding to your posts.
    Take care

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

ok at least i know.

~PLP~ lil slam~

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Start your own charity if you're rich

Ashley: Just so you know, you don't have to be rich to start your own chairity. Myself & 3 friends started a non profit organization about 2 1/2 years ago that helps out fire victims, flood victims, tornado victims or just people having a hard time of it. We collect money for the kids at christmas & buy gifts & deliver them. We have chairity auctions, bake sales, fish fry & all kinds of stuff. It cost us around $500 to get the paperwork done & get it going. We each put in $125 and here we are. You don't have to be rich, you have to be dedicated. It's a lot of work, but well worth it.

Take care

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

I agree with Tammy about not having to be rich. At school we have Penny wars, your homeroom has to collect as many pennies as you can in a jar as positive points, but only one point. Other home rooms can put dollar bills or silver coins in it to bring you down that many pennies, so quarters are negitive 25 pennies. one dollar bill is negative 100 pennies. at first it kind of starts off as no big deal but we really actually get into it, we raise it for familys that can't afford chirtmas gifts for thier kids and buy them stuff for them after they give us a want list. they get a few toys but mostly the stuff on the list if for gloves, shoes, clothes, they are thier needs. the Last two years we have collected enough money to help two families. my home room alone collected 83.00 positive but in total we collected about 150.00. and this all began small change from our wallets.

~PLP~ lil slam~

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Bob,
    That would be a dream come true... people caring for others everywhere. There are a lot of people out there that are willing to help, you just have to search for them (& encourage them a bit) :)
    And thanks, but I don't do it to be blessed, I do it to be a blessing.

Take Care!!

• Tammy
    18 years ago

And they should be punished for the rest of their lives for these mistakes???
    I don't think so.
    What was your longest punishment for a mistake you've made in the past?

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

good point tammy

• ReBecca
    18 years ago

i say if you are in a position to help them, then do so. what if it were you who were the one homeless, and everyone thought you were just a psycotic , druggie, homeless loser? Something i dont think has been pointed out, is that alot of homeless people suffer from mental illnesses, and they have slipped through the cracks due to various state laws on mental facilities and insurance companies. if you've lived a large portion of your life in such a facility, and due to government cutback, and insurance policies (medicaid) you are released or deemed a functioning adult, where do you go when you have nowhere to go, how do you get a job when you dont have skills?

• lisa marie
    18 years ago

I feel bad for them all and i wished the homeless could have a second chance at life even if it was because of drugs and alcohol. I was downtown one day and a guy asked me and my friend for change. We gave him two dollars and this is exactly what he said.

"I am not going to lie to you, I am going to go buy alcohol, so if you want this back you can have it"

but we let him keep it and he gave a lecture on how alcohol and drugs really screw up your life and ended it with a god bless you.

And it made me sad.

• lisa marie
    18 years ago

What else would you buy if you were homeless?