All opinions- Is it really your life? Or your parent's?

• chfj4
    18 years ago

I sort of agree with you there yeah. Most of my friends' parents definately push them too far as far as education is concerned. My mom/mum has always pushed me to reach my full potentional at school and in sports.

My Dad on the other side doesn't push me. He's an ex SAS officer and believes in self discipline and self motivation rather than forcing it on people. He doesn't beleive in applying pressure on people that don't want to be pushed to their limits...it only breaks their self esteem. He does encourage me a hell of a lot to acheive really high standards in all things I do, too bad I don't live up to all his expectations.

So yeah, I think some parents too controlling. I guess that has a negative and a postitive impact on the teen but it really does depend on the individual in question.

• Lyla
    18 years ago

you have to deal with your parents for 18 years of your life. when your a teen its hard to realize this is only a small part in your life and you still have another 70 years or so of your life left! IOf you mess up your childhood and teenage years, the rest of your life can be a living hell. Parents should push but not overpowering

• Lyla
    18 years ago

i meant deal with your parents controlling you for 18 years of your life. you have to put up woth them alot longer than that lol

• ღ*KiM*ღ
    18 years ago

I think I basically have my own life, my parents are very relaxed with rules around me, I go out whenever I want, don't have to anything I don't want to do, do what I want BUT im still respectful to them. I still help out around the house, actually earn money etc. Yeah I would say I lead my own life as much as I can.

• Jesse Ray
    18 years ago

It's definitely my life. My parent let me make my own choices, but it's sad that they don't support it.

Manipulated Child

• Hayley Marie
    18 years ago

Parents, have a weird mind (as i am one) they want their kids to be better than what they were, and not make the same mistakes as they make.
    Im sure everyone has heard this little phrase "Think before you open your mouth" but sometimes parents need to think back to when they were their kids' age before they shout the odds at them.

Its all about being protective, but theres over-protective aswell and there is PLENTY of that!!!!

Hayley-Ree x x x

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

Generally I think that most kids arent even ready for adulthood by 18, but I find the whole issue of "over controlling" parents to be a double edged sword.

I think that most kids arent ready for adulthood because their parents were too controlling and wouldnt let them make their own mistakes, while parents who were less attentive or unattentive have kids who screw up more in their teenage years but turn out to be better adults in the long run for it.

I believe that every kid WILL make their own mistakes, and they'll make those mistakes as soon as you allow them the room to do so. They'll have their drinking phase at 16 with unattentive parents or they'll do it at 18 because they are finally out of their parents control, they'll either rebel against their parents overly controlling and nosy natures or they'll rebel for more attention. You just can't get it right every time, and most every kid is an aboslute idiot until life kicks them around a bit and their parents arent around to pick up the pieces, so in short, whether parents are overly controlling or not I think the result is ultimately the same because you'll go through the same phases to achieve autonomy and individuality. I do think most teenagers need guidance and a watchful eye, but not necessarily to be controlled. I will for sure keep an eye on my children and guide them every chance I get while having boundaries, but ultimately they'll do what they NEED to learn what they need to LEARN, understanding that, I'll allow them the space to screw up while I'm still around to help them get back on their feet.

HOWEVER, there are acceptions. I know this because I'm one of them. My parents and family in general are all overly controlling and I dont do well with it, I moved out of my parents house about 3 months ago and have never done better, I'm supporting myself and my parents are staying out of it. I'm better off for it and making good choices on my own because I feel no need to rebel. I have the freedom I need as well, but then again, I'm an acception. Most of my friends, if given the freedom I have, would hang themselves with the rope their parents allowed.

• Michelle
    18 years ago

My parents want me to be the best I can be, yeah.
    But the more they push on anything, the less I want to do it. I lost interest, or don`t live up to their expectations and give up.

They should be supportive, but not push you into anything.

• ReBecca
    18 years ago

as a parent it is my job to guide my child into adulthood, by living by example, and setting boundaries. so until my child is 18 and mature enough to live with the consequences of his actions in an adult world, i say his life is my life. i respect his right to state what he wants to do, but in the end my word is final until he is out of my house. even then if i see him going down the wrong path after he is 18 and on his own, i will still put my 2 cents in.