~*~ Whats wrong with LONG poems? ~*~

• ~* Joyful *~
    19 years ago

hey how are ya? I agree even though most of my poems are rather short. The only reason that i write short poems is so that i have somthing else to write about next time and so that i am not just copying all off my other poems. im not sure why other people do it but thats why i do. I love to read longer poems though. I personally think that all longer poems are the best poems.
    well c-ya later

• HeavenzEyez
    19 years ago

I have written 26 poems in the last 3 mounths (since i started writing poems really about 3 mounths ago) and i don't think hardly any of them are short, i understand were u come from when yuo say people don't bother reading long poems and then when they do there like "wow, that was great" maybe thats why i havn't really been given many comments because all my poems are very long.
    all my poems mean something really big to me and i would not write a peom that was fake and thats why they are long, like you said because i write everything i feel inside me into a poem.
    tata

E-mail em soemtime i'd love to talk sammy2004xx@aol.com

• Ami
    19 years ago

There is nothing wrong with long poems. I have written four so far, and only one of them is kind of short, but that was intentional as I was writing a sonnet. Ussually, when I write a poem that I intend to make short in the beginning, it turns out very long since I write everything as well. I just can't bring myself to cut my thoughts short for other people's convience, so I will leave them that way.

• mrsmoore
    19 years ago

Long poems are fine but most of the time people dont want to sit and read a long poem... short and sweet... although if you've noticed... most of the poems that win award are long... so yeah... thats all i can say!

• Rafael Navarro
    19 years ago

i agree with you longer poems can hold a lot of detail and feeling. I am a big fan of long poems i write long ones myself. But in short poems people are usually real creative to express there emotions just with five or six lines................oh and also some people are lazy to read long poems

• My Obsεssion
    19 years ago

I agree with Friends though personally I tend to lean more towards long poems since if they're longer then the author most likely had to put more thought and time into it, right? Not saying that's always true because there are some really really good short poems out there that had a lot of thought put into them and there are some really sucky long ones out there that just, well, suck haha. That's just my opinion though and I did check out your poem, Thunder. Was really good. Most of my poems tend to be long too, at least a page on notebook paper is what I normally and try to write before my thoughts on it are all done. I just feel that a page is sort of a guideline for me to measure all of my poems to since I just feel that a page long poem about gets out what I need to or want to without being too short or too long. Not like I strictly follow that though...Just write until I can't write anymore :P

• SCARECROW
    19 years ago

He's said it all, need I say more? Yeah I probably do. Write how you feel if you're not trying to impress others, but are putting your work up here to get relatively honest comments. However, if you're aiming to please readers, refer to the list above, carefully and thoughtfully compiled by shadowmaker. Peace, love and empathy.
    -Belle Misericordia

• don mohr
    19 years ago

nothing...........

wrong...

with.........

long......

poems...........

• Timothy r
    19 years ago

Thanx Don, I agree totally....I feel so small ..dont know why...(mumbles to self...)

• StarGirl
    19 years ago

Long poems are great if that's how you really feel! =)

• Brandy Sansotta
    19 years ago

I love long poems compared to some short ones. As long as they make sense then i will read them

• paperdoll
    19 years ago

Sometimes writing shorter poems is harder than writing really lengthy ones, because it takes a lot of effort to condense your message and all that emotion into fewer lines. I tend to appreciate short poems that have achieved this.

On the other hand, long poems that DON'T, and i repeat, DON'T aimlessly waffle on, and manage to keep you hooked, are quite some feat.

The length of the poem shouldnt matter, so long as it has the desired effect.

• Sad_Little_Kitty_Kat
    19 years ago

me personaly i think long poems suck thats why i dont vote or rate them and when im trying to read a long poem it just get really stupid and boring if you write something worth reading maybe somepeople would read them(just my opinion no ofence)
    ~stacy~

• Erica Brown©
    19 years ago

Answer:
    Nothing.
    Long poems....short poems...... no difference.. nothing wrong with either.

• Mustardhart
    19 years ago

I am in the same boat with you, only that in the 2nd class cabin. I mean that, not many people like reading them through. I enjoy long poems especially too when they tell a story.
    I agree with you Shantalina on most of what you said.

• SCARECROW
    19 years ago

Well, I've already posted so why do it again? Ditto, Belle. (Jeez, I'd have to, she's me after all.)

• Tyler Whitney
    19 years ago

I don't think there is anything wrong with long poems as long as they are good. My style of writing is either in quatrains, or in 2 lined sections. And sometimes they are very long, and other times there are only 2 or 3 quatrains. I just think it depends on the feeling. If there is more you have to say to get your point and your feelings out, then say it, if it is all done and said in 2 or 3 stanzas, then leave it. You know? I just know I wouldn't want to read an uninteresting poem, or one that has poor word choice, etc. if it was long OR short. Haha, thats just my opinion.

Tyler

• SweetDreamer
    19 years ago

well long poems r great, and if you're writing what u feel that's awesome 2, but sometimes when i see there's this huge poem, I'll either think I don't have the time, or I'll start reading it and then get distracted and go onto something else. Long is good, but sometimes shorter is sweeter.