Catholic reform patterns

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

Thought it interesting to find out this morning the Catholic Church is switching back to traditional mass. A few changes,
    -the past years the church has only been required to use 2 alter boys opposed to the original 7-8, they've switched back to the 7-8 (not very significant)
    -they're beginning to hold "silent masses", church without music, to "focus more on the mass itself" (again not very significant but it dates back to the original regulations)
    -Lastly which I did find interesting was that the majority of the mass is now going to be preached in Greek, Latin

I found this interesting considering the numerous reforms the Catholic Church has taken over the past couple hundred years, and their repetition in going back and forth with tradition. I also found it interesting that they've decided to preach in Latin/Greek, considering that (I could be mistaken) they haven't done this since Martin Luther posted the 93 thesis and branched off his own church

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

I remember the old masses said in latin with the priest facing away from the people . The changes began with vatican 11 in 1962. One of the more recent changes is that there are now altar girls allowed to serve. I have not heard of the plans to go back to latin I went to a Spanish/ English mass

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

I didn't know they were recently doing Latin masses, I suppose the only change is that they're doing it more often (They haven't done it in Virginia for the past 50 years I believe)
    Girls still aren't allowed to serve as alter girls here in Virginia (according to sunday school teachers) which I also find interesting,
    why are they allowed only in certain areas?

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

I think it is left up to the Bishop of the Diocese. It is not only true that tradition has many variables within the catholiic church through time, but also locations. I remember obstaining from meat on friday all through the year not just lent