Why Do People Do This?

• TinyDancer46
    18 years ago

I have a friend, her name's Diana, and she is mentally handicapped. I love her to death, she is THE sweetest person I've ever met. Today I found her in the corner bawling her eyes out because a bunch of boys had made fun of her and called her names, and then they took her bag and wouldn't give it back to her... Why on earth do people do this?! I don't know how to make her feel better. She's been upset all day, I had her come over to my house and I baked her brownies and tried to tell her that no matter what happens I'd be there for her... but I know that things are going to be bad again tomorrow, at school... How do I help her?! God I hate those boys for doing this to her.

• Steven Beesley
    18 years ago

Those boys are just immature jerks, stand by your friend and you are a true friend. I'm sure that she appreciates your friendship very much.

• Lu
    18 years ago

This really makes me sad about your friend ....
    Some people are just naturally mean ...
    I really don't know why they are that way , whether it is to be cool or they are afraid of what their friends would say if they are nice.. or plain and simply they don't understand ..
    It really infuriates me that people can treat another human being with such cruelty ....
    I think when they are special they really are ....Why ? because I have never once in my life seen a mentally challenged person being mean to another person or animal for that matter ...
    My sister in-law works with special needs children and they are kind ,loving sweethearts ...They bleed the same color of blood we do and their hearts break the same as ours ...

I am so glad you stick beside your friend and the more people that see this ...the more people will take a stand against this cruelty ...
    Sorry this post is so long but it is something that infuriates me and breaks my heart ...
    You are a great friend and these boys should be ashamed of themselves ....
    ~Take care ~and give your friend a big hug cause she really ~deserves one~ and so do you ....

• Kevin
    18 years ago

It's really just a matter of education. I work in a school for young people with visual impairments, and most of them have various physical problems as well, sometimes to to degree that they have to be in a wheelchair.

whenever i go out for a walk with any of the kids, we always get stared at, particularly by other young children. It's natural to be afraid and to mock things you don't understand. On a few rare occasions i've been able to speak to some young people and explain to them what was wrong with the child i was with...and once they understood that the kid next to them on the bus was normal except for their eyes...they relaxed.

It's all about education and exposure, same as rascism, and sexism and every other 'ism and 'ology.

• TinyDancer46
    18 years ago

Thankyou so much, all of you. Today I told my cheer coach about it, and she went and told the principal, and if ever they find anyone making fun of her or making her cry, (or any other disabled person for that matter) then they'll have to be suspended for three days!! Thanks so much you guys!! I could tell Diana was a lot happier today... me and my friend bought her a teddy bear, and now that I've talked to some people at school about this, they've all gone out of their way to make her feel happy about herself. I couldn't have done it without you guys, love ya all. And I'll make sure to give her a hug for ya :)

• Steven Beesley
    18 years ago

Well done! You are a good friend to her.