Narcissism is it Good or Bad???

• Robert Gardiner
    18 years ago

Narcissism is it Good or Bad???

I personally think, a little narcissism can be a good thing. A little of it can be healthy but too much of it can unhealthy.

Narcissism it can be good or bad, depending on the extremes of its negative traits to your personality. Narcissist’s are more them a little full of themselves, but if it’s not to negative extremes a little narcissism can be a good thing, a positive.

Narcissistic Personality Traits

• They like to use their looks to get what they want
    • really love themselves (maybe be even a little too much)
    • optimistic
    • prone to self promoting
    • self assured
    • think they can charm anyone
    • believe that they are special, extraordinary of person
    • believe that they’re sexy, seductive
    • vain
    • shallow (at least somewhat)
    • love admiring themselves
    • are supremely confident ( sometimes arrogant or cocky)
    • believe that they deserve all the good, the very best just for being them
    • they like being popular and loved to be admired

Definition of Narcissistic;

Narcissism: (nar•cis•sism) 1. Having an extremely high self-admiration, to have a high love or admiration of oneself 2 An undue interest in oneself and one’s own physical appearance, with a high interest in and admiration for your own physical appearance and/or your own abilities; Also, a extreme fascination with oneself and one’s own physical appearance and/or sexual ability, to the point, wherein, one finds pleasure, in the contemplation there of. 3. One who gets off contemplating the thought of the sexual arousal and/or gratification that they produce or can produce in others.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

1. psychiatric personality disorder characterized by the patient's overestimation of his or her own appearance and abilities and an excessive need for admiration. In psychoanalytic theory, emphasis is placed on the element of self-directed sexual desire in the condition. 2. An individual with narcissistic personality disorder tends to harbor an exaggerated sense of his own self-importance and uniqueness. He is often excessively occupied with fantasies about his own attributes and potential for success, and usually depends upon others for reinforcement of his self-image. A narcissist tends to have difficulties maintaining healthy interpersonal relationships, stemming largely from a lack of empathy and a propensity for taking advantage of others in the interest of self-aggrandizement. It is often found in combination with antisocial personality disorder.

• Sherry Lynn
    18 years ago

I do not believe that I am better than anyone else; nor do I believe that anyone is better than me. Call it what you want.
    I agree with Bob as far as Narcissism being a form of conceitedness and I find it utterly disgusting. Sad thing is that I also find those are the type of guys that I usually end up dating and hating.
    But then again that is only my opinion.

--Sher

• Drew Gold
    18 years ago

My "best"friend seems like he's a good candidate for the personality disorder defined up there. It's not all black and white of course, but matches so well with him. I actually wrote the prose "Someone Else," about him. You can't even get through to him because he's either talking about himself, lying, or tryin to be something he's not. I don't let it bother me anymore, but it definitely is pretty ugly seeing it so close to you.

I can't really see how someone would use it as a joke; If you were really a narcissist, you probably wouldn't see it in yourself and couldn't appreciate the humor, I'm thinking..?