The "Tree" Poem

• Ali
    19 years ago

I heard i poem that went something like "I dont think i have ever seen a poem as lovely as a tree"... What poem is that? and who wrote it? HELP

• Jackie Bilson
    19 years ago

It's a really old poem. It's by Joyce Kilmer written in like, the 1800s.

I THINK that I shall never see
    A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
    Against the sweet earth's flowing breast

A tree that looks at God all day,
    And lifts her leafy arms to pray

A tree that may in summer wear
    A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain
    Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
    But only God can make a tree.

------ When I went to the Philippines, there were road signs (you know , once that usually say something like Blank City 23miles) except there were heaps of them with one line from this poem each. It was actually pretty cool. A bit of a hazard though, considering, if I was the one driving I'd be too focused on the signs...LOL

• Jackie Bilson
    19 years ago

whoops sorry, it was actually written like, early 20th century.

• vanessarrr
    19 years ago

i'm from the philippines and i really recognize this poem because my teachers made us memorize it when i was in 3rd grade. as for the road signs, i've never seen them before but i guess it's true. i've never been outside the capital, manila (except when i was 3 or 4 so i didn't know how to read). i reckon filipinos are quite poetic. i wouldn't be surprised to see this in other provinces/cities.

• Jackie Bilson
    19 years ago

Cool, I was born in the Philippines and I left when I was about 6. I was from Manila too. In Pandacan...

I went back last year, for 1 month September-October. I think the signs were in Cavite...I'm not sure.

• vanessarrr
    19 years ago

pandacan sounds really familiar. cavite- i know that. i've never been there though...

• Ali
    19 years ago

OH THANK YOU THANK YOU!