Originality....

• Kevin
    19 years ago

Hey guys,

are you guys as bored as i am of the constant stream of depressing love lost poems that seem to do so well in here? I don't think i'm a great poet, but what i do think i am good at is trying to push past my own smalltime feelings and search out the bigger picture....the potential cause behind it all.

I realise it's arrogant of me to want others to do this, but man....it's really hard to find an original piece of work in here, they're hidden by the usual:

"I'm so sad
    cause you were so bad
    i'm crying at night
    because we had a fight"

I mean come on! is it too much to ask that we actually think about creating something worthwhile.

Again i don't think i'm a good writer especially....but i try to rise above my petty illusions. Any thoughts?

• David
    19 years ago

• Sean Allen
    19 years ago

When anyone writes anything, they are in the constant danger of repeating the words someone has written before. The struggle to be original is definitely not easy, and I agree, most have failed in most of their work. However, I agree with David too, there are some poets who definitely rise above the others when it comes to originality (though maybe not emotional content)

• Gracie Jo
    19 years ago

I agree with both David and Sean on this one. But I do get, in a sense, what you're saying Kevin.

~Grace

• Aken Sol
    19 years ago

You want originality? Go check out the people David listed, Sean Allen, and David V. himself. There are some mad geniuses on this site, just take the time to find them.
    While i am guilty of writing love and lost love poems, i try to keep them 100% original and most of them turn out okay. I knew when i decided to write about love, i had a major possibilty of sounding totally cliche'. I took that risk and, luckily, i turned out alright.
    Aken Sol

• SCARECROW
    19 years ago

I am truly sick of this endless stream of lost love poems. I have written only two all my life, and am planning to keep them to a bare minimum. Peace, love and empathy.
    -Belle Misericordia

• Adam Murphy
    19 years ago

lol...maybe if you dont like love poems...you dont read the love poems eh?...they arent written to entertain just you..and every poem is original , its not like every poem is talking about the same one guy and his one love , theyre talking about different people , with different situations , with varying circumstances..therefor they are unique if you havent written many of them , maybe you havent experienced the same things as they haveanyways..my point is simple..if you dont like love poems , dont click the love poems link ;)

• Shædow Poet
    19 years ago

I agree with Adam.
    And I think that most poems on this site are very original. Some themes may be the same, but I know that I, myself, try to steer clear of common word usage. I think most of us on this site expand our mind and use different kinds of imaginary.

• Kevin J
    19 years ago

Gotta throw in my 2 cent:p I think if you read just one poem from an individual poet, you might make the wrong judgement of what that one poet is all about. Their are plenty poets on this site that have a wide range of topics and styles they write in. I agree with alot of what David V said, and he along with sean allen, lucifer (to name a few) are perfect examples of being poetically diverse. For every original poem you think you found, I guarantee you'll find a dozen more just like it if you look in the right places.

• don mohr
    19 years ago

in a way-and i find it interesting that so many
    young teens can transfer their emotions to paper
    so boldly-this may be a way of release-i search
    for a good title-thats a peer point of reaching out
    and usually find something original and of course
    sincere. a poet may write 1,000 poems and i may
    only like 2 or 3. i think the challenge is finding the
    needle in the haystack-or put together the story.
    i like confused people who write dark poetry-its
    to me an inner disagreement with rules and regs.
    and society always looking the other way-or
    finding a scape-goat to take away the cliche.
    e.g.-"oh my God-i cant believe you did that!"
    my poet judicial reply-"its a done deal-now eat
    it!"-i am a smart ass to the general consensus
    -but i like it-i like the attention i give myself.

• Sarah
    19 years ago

There are too many people to comment to, but Don, I love getting to comment after you! You really do make sense, and I don't think you're a smart ass, you see things from the RIGHT perspective on a lot of issues I've read your comments on. For I think Kevin, I read one of your sad poems and one of your love poems...they were lovely. But some could look at your poems as the way you're looking at theirs. The best part about this site is this...we all make this site our own everytime we pour our heart out in a poem. It doesn't matter if its about love or hurt, mistery, questioning the meaning of life, desires or dark thoughts. You've only written two love poems your whole life, I'm sure that in each poem you wrote more from the heart than in any other. The thing about love poems is that I believe those come from a different part of the soul, the part that opens up your errotic zone everytime you think of that person. The part that creates the memory of a smell or a certain look... I'm sorry you've only written two, I hope you've had more love than that...I wish you health and happiness and continued success in your poetry. Never quite writing, but most of all, keep an open mind when it comes to others feelings and emotions. I doubt you'll find many poems in this site that aren't written w/ some emotion...even funny ones are! Love to all!!

• DMG
    19 years ago

I have written some cliche poems, but I have also written some unique ones with deeper meanings. I think originality is important in poetry because it expands a persons view and perspective.