Rape Poems

• PnQ Mod Account
    19 years ago

I guess, for me, that would depend on the poem... some people can write very well about subjects that they have not experienced first hand. Do you feel that way about every fictional poem... or just the rape ones?

• Kevin
    19 years ago

I guess if a person wrote a poem with a very authoritative description of how it felt to be raped, s opposed to an empathatic effort....then it might be slightly presumptious had they not been raped themselves....but, well it's kind of a role for poets to put themselves in the shoes of others and work things out...i've done it with suicide a few times but never attempted the act personally.

If there is respect to the issue...it should be fine eh?

• StarGirl
    19 years ago

I don't believe that and I think it's possible for any author to write about anything if they study & research what they want to write about.

I believe that it's just a different situation to write about and that writers can learn to adapt to writing in different kinds of situations. I don't think however that the author can fully connect with the situation as a person who was... unless they've beenable to connect in a way so deeply that it almost feels like it did happen to you.

• !*!Zoe!*!
    19 years ago

I wrote a rape poem and it is actually on the top rated poems of the explicit. I have not experienced rape myself, but I have:
    a)Almost been
    b)A friend who has
    c)DOne reasearch.
    I am just trying to express something that I feel is "necessary" to.

• !*!Zoe!*!
    19 years ago

I know I cant EXACTLY feel what it's like but well, I just hope no one is offended by it.

• StarGirl
    19 years ago

well... most people do reasearch. and good writers will not only do that but put themselves into those person shoes. They actually have to LIVE what they're witing. How do you think actors/actress's do it all the time? I know I do that when I'm writing about something I haven't experienced. People have to beable to mold themself into things all the time.

I'm sorry but I just don't see how you can't understand. How do you expect a well known famous actrors can switch into so many different kinds of parts that when you know them for they're more regular stuff and then see them play a role they've probably never experienced in they're life...
    example: Robin Williams is usually known for comedy Stuff and little kid movies... then you go see him do a movie like One Hour Photo where he turns into this creepy stalker... just so... weird but he does a surpurb job at doing it. To me there's no difference in that with writing. Acting to me is no more a visual than what's written down on paper.

• StarGirl
    19 years ago

I never said and I don't think it's easy at ALL to just beable to sit there and watch someone switch into that role.

It's very hard and I cried when I saw Robin Williams holding that guy and girl up with a knife.

I never said it was easy, and actors when researching, spend months and months. I don't think it's easy to just beable to switch into that role when your writing about it.

I actually have a rape poem in my pro. It's called "Lost Innocence" It was about my really good friend Dawn who did get raped but she had never told me ANYTHING about it just that she was... I was just sitting in class one day when I got this cold chilly feeling around me and it just felt like I was watching a black n white movie of exactly that. It was a HORRIBLE feeling and it only went away when I wrote it down.

When I read it to her, it was really freaky because that was exactly what happened to her (she told me) and she also said she didn't understand how i knew when she never told anyone before the details. And it was just so random because it was something she told me a really long time ago.

*Shruggs* I dunno, you might find this all complete and total bs but... I just do think it is possible. I don't think it's easy TO do either.

• Natalie84
    19 years ago

You can write a poem or a story about ANYTHING regardless of whether or not you've been through it. Maybe it was a family member or friend you saw go through it. Or maybe not, maybe you just want to write about it. People who write novels about murders have not actually comitted murder and people who rap about selling drugs and robbing have not actually done it so what is the harm in writing about rape or ANYTHING else for that matter even if it hasn't happened to them or they haven't done it. Some people don't write so somebody has to.

• StarGirl
    19 years ago

again you are taking things completely out of context.

NO ONE here said they enjoy watching it. (in a movie) And I don't think anyone does really...derive in pleasure from rape but I also think your making it a bigger thing than it is (this debate not the issue). A writer should be able to write about anything he or she would like to regardless of experience or knowledge.

To me it's like someone writing an erotic poem who's never had sex before.

• StarGirl
    19 years ago

Well then you are messing with the first amendment of the United States.

Free Speach. Just because YOU don't think someone has the right to write about something doesn't mean it's true. It's just your morals but that doesn't make them fair for everyone.

Like I said. A writer should be able to write about anything he or she would like to regardless of experience or knowledge.

Also, once again pointing out you are pushing aside all the other problems and issues that also have to do with the first amendment to make"Rape" this big number one thing. So when someone compares or tries to give you an example it's automaticly "not the same". DUH it's not the same but the point is that someone was trying to give you an example...

I feel like I'm constantly repeating myself with you. I think only a very sick, sick person would actually derive pleasure from something like rape. And yes... rape is a horrible thing and I can understand where your coming from about the issue of rape but you gotta understand the other side of writing without experiencing as well. It doesn't matter if you've personally experienced any thing, rape, drugs, sex, suicide, depression, whatever you get my point. Anyone has the right to write about these things regardless of experience or not.

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

You dont need to experience something - just be exposed to it - and alot of the time a good write doesn;t even need that! I think its unfair of you to determine what and why poets should be writing!

• Krete
    19 years ago

Indeed....hmmm is right...

• Ashlee Nicole
    19 years ago

See I myself, feel that someone could write a perfectly great poem about rape, or any other subject. Not having that done to themselves...
    I've written poems about hearing voices...Everyone thinks I do, because I just get into a mode where I feel just, as If it were me. I've written poems about death and someone killing someone even though I've never done it...I mean you just want to write about new things, and see how you yourself can relate..Sometimes you can relate well, some can't. It shouldn't be up to anyone, who can write about what..>The way i see it...Is if they're writing about it, It means they care, and are just trying to make others aware about the subject....--Ashlee--

• Fireflower
    19 years ago

well, i don't think that its disrespectful at all. The poems don't go "haha you've been raped" do they? no. most of them show it from a persons point of view who has been raped and how tragic it is. Think of it like this.. you know how tragic the Titanic was? well we've made movies on that not to laugh at and make fun of.. but to reflect on the losses. I have written a poem on rape, but have not ever been raped. The reason I wrote that poem, is maybe to change someones mind who has raped, or plans on raping someone by making them see how wrong it is. If you can write poems about dragons and vampires, why should a person not be able to write about rape? I personaly cried when i finished writing my poem, and i hoped that it would have the same effect on other people. I'm sorry that you don't see it that way.

• Erica Brown©
    19 years ago

Well you can always tell who has and who hasn't. It shows on their imagery. But it is kinda stupid when they write about things that never happened. Not necessarily is it dissrespectful, but just odd. Some people may have known someone who has had it done to them. But you know, if they're good, who gives a sh**?

• joe
    19 years ago

i agree with a previous persons answer, "I guess, for me, that would depend on the poem... some people can write very well about subjects that they have not experienced first hand."

• Paige
    19 years ago

Well i have been raped. Personally i dont give a sh*t, most of them suck anywayz, like sum1 else has commented its a poets "responsibility" 2 be in other peoples shoes.
    But 2 the people who have written rape poetry i hope u havent been in my shoes.

• Heather M Craig
    19 years ago

well i write poems about rape & the reason i know is because i have friends that have been raped... i know i dont know there every pain but i have a good understanding.
    Also fyi just b/c you yourself have not been thru something dont mean that you cant write about it. Poetry is your own thoughts and emotions and you can write whatever you want is the way i see it.
    Sometimes putting yourself in someone elses shoes and too imagine helps u get a better understanding.
    i do feel for the young ones that have been raped but our poems of rape mean nothing againest them as you can tell
    N e ways God bless Happy Holidays

• Lushed
    19 years ago

yes, that kind of bothers me too. some are just so obvious that the poems just feel fake... or i feel they do anyway..

• Emilia
    19 years ago

I agree with you Louisa!

• Nici
    19 years ago

i know that some of the rape stories on here have been written for friends who have suffered and i think that this is a thoughtful idea

you don't need to have expeirnced something to write about it, but it makes the words alot more convincing and heartfelt

• kalakilanta
    19 years ago

I've been raped before and I don't think that people who have never felt the pain or the horror of it should right about it.Some people don't need to experience it to know what it's like but i still don't think its right if they never went through it, they may have had a friend that has been there and all but..they wont know the whole tihng unless they have felt it.Anyways that's just how i feel.Sorry if i make any of you mad for my opinion.

sincerely

Ashley (Kalakilanta)

• Paige
    19 years ago

the person hu put she no's her friends pain, dats bull, i bet she dont reveal all of her pain,
    im starting 2 find it disrespectful

• Fireflower
    19 years ago

it's not disrespectful to the people who have been raped. It is showing what a horrid thing it is for a man to do! I DO find it dissrespectful however, when i read a previous comment saying that most of the rape poems suck. How is it that you can deside if all the poems stink? how would you feel if you wrote a poem about something that you really believed was wrong, then someone said that it sucked? Don't criticise people for writting about something that came from their heart, even though they never experienced it.

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

I have to agree with Louisa....

Great argument though guys...

• Fireflower
    19 years ago

but isn't poetry about expressing your creativity?? i mean, rape is a terrible thing, but let the people write about what they want!!