PLEASE -- We Need to be Able to Delete Comments

• Lydia O
    19 years ago

OK Once again, dèja vu. This is really getting annoying!!!!

PLEASE,PLEASE.PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting really frustrated and aggravated over this. Please restore this function!!!!!!!!

I hate to sound like a whiner but I think this repeated request does reflect the wishes and the best interests of nearly everyone on this site.

• Lydia O
    19 years ago

The reason for being able to delete comments is that a handful of rudely behaving people on this site have chosen to use the poetry comments to leave totally inappropriate messages with foul language, insults, personal threats and other such abusive and highly offensive remarks. If you read the postings in this section you will see many similar complaints coming from other members about this same kind of abuse.

Deleting comments used to be a function available to all members until earlier this year when it was suspended due to some security issues which now seem to have been resolved. Since the suspension of this function, Janis is the only one able to delete abusive comments. His time is spread rather thinly and his attention shouldn't shouldn't really need to be diverted every time some immature person on the site misbehaves in this way.

It is true that some people will use the function to delete critical but honest comments. I see that as a minor trade-off to accomplish a more important purpose. Also, deleting comments will have no effect on ratings.

• PnQ Mod Account
    19 years ago

I agree with Lydia... we REALLY NEED to be able to delete comments.......hopefully, people won't get greedy with the delete function in order to get rid of honest criticism. I also used it to delete multiple identical comments that sometimes happen when someone's internet connection or the server itself is lagging... and some people are just plaine rude and leave multiple bad (inappropriate, not honest critique) comments.

• Gracie Jo
    19 years ago

I agree... I wish I could delete comments...

• Kevin
    19 years ago

I'm totally against the option of deleting comments. How can we have free expression with a delete option?....there's enough kid gloves nonsense in here as it is with people leaving stupidly over generous comments without authors having the option to erase anything they don't like.

If someone is being stalked, or sexually intimadated then fine...let Janis deal with it...but i think if this option goes through it will have a negative effect on our willingness to leave an honest but perhaps not entirely complimemtary comment if we feel it might get scrubbed anyway.

• PnQ Mod Account
    19 years ago

The purpose of this is NOT so people can just delete anything they don't like... it is supposed to be for only very offensive or rude comments... it is possible to leave polite criticism, you know? I know some people will abuse this though, and delete honest criticism, but like someone stated before, it will be a small price to pay for the ability to get rid of the inappropriate comments people sometimes leave.

• SammiBABY
    19 years ago

Hey i reckon we should be able too. I acidentally wrote I love such and such on my comments and couldn't delete it, i had to delete the whole poem it was dumb, pls let us delete them again

• Lydia O
    19 years ago

Kevin Murray, you really have some unmitigated gall to go around this site besmirching other poets' pages with stupid, nasty, namecalling comments and then come here and say that people shouldn't be able to delete them. You are a real piece of work!

• Kevin
    19 years ago

Ok Lydia....calm down...are we talking about the 2 instances i was in your opinion out of line?....is that me "goingound this site leaving inapropriate comments" or whatever you said...2 times and suddenly i'm an epidemic of evil?

Maybe there should be a delete option..but itwould have to be regulated somehow to ensure it was only the blatantly nasty comments that get deleted. People in here are generally so touchy i doubt that will happen and if anyone even dares to suggest the poems of others could have been better...BAM!! gone...dead and deleted...you all know this will happen!!