vocabulary

• Jackie Marie
    17 years ago

I REALLY need to expand my vocabulary. What would be the best way to do this? I'm tired of using simple words, you know? I want to make my poetry sound better!

• Gary Jurechka
    17 years ago

I'll state the obvious-Read the dictionary-a good one.Yes, it sounds ridiculous but I've been inspired and written many poems this way.Read others poetry-amateurs and professionals.Broaden your horizons.However fancy words are no substitute for true emotion.

GaryJ

• aDORKable x3
    17 years ago

try a thesaurus... they are a fantastic and helpful tool when writing! =] Best Of Luck!

Ciao xx

• Pianist
    17 years ago

I would have to agree with the thesaurus. It improved my vocabulary tremendously

• sibyllene
    17 years ago

I agree with the dictionary/thesaurus ideas, but also... just read some books in a style you like - but preferably with a more sophisticated vocabulary. You'll learn words without even trying, and through reading, understand the context that they should be used in. Plus.... reading is fun ; D

• Love vs HATE
    17 years ago

I got to say that the dictionary and thesaurus have improved my vocabulary and reading many many books that are highly hard to read has also improved my vocadulary!

• Mommy And Me
    17 years ago

my boyfriend :| ...
    lmao he's deffinataly a wordaholic.
    well anywhos he got that way from reading a dictionary.

he would look up words and then put them into what ever we were talking about at that time. :| got me to look up alot of words as well.. so you can help some one else improve at the same time you are improving. lol :)

• ariana
    17 years ago

read a dictionary

• Freddie
    17 years ago

wen u need a better word look it up in the thesauris, then write in a notebook u cn use for asll ur new words, keep checking the notebook so u dnt forget em.

• StarvingForPerfection
    16 years ago

Http://thesaurus.reference.com/
    its like an online thesaurus
    i use it a lot for my poems :]

• Viola
    16 years ago

Thesauruses are definitely helpful in this matter. But I would suggest reading a book..dictionary can be a bit boring..so why not expand your vocabulary while reading someone you actually enjoy. good luck with this! and remember big words do not make a poem good it's the emotion behind it that does (though using a particular word does bring out the emotion better than simple every day words. diction.)

--Viola