When you write...

• icarus
    16 years ago

When i get the inspiration to write, i sort of outline in my head what i am trying to say. i have a mental image, not the best word for it, of how i want the poem to end up. the funny thing is, quite often it is not how i had expected it to come out. there have been several times i had an inspiration for a poem and (i need to do a metaphor here) instead of following the road i planned, i ended up veering to the right. then i go back and write one that veers to the left. does this happen to anyone else?

• HopefulxRomantic
    16 years ago

Pretty much, except I don't often map out exactly what's going to happen. My metaphor would probably be drifting out in an ocean on a log. Random directions, no planning, searching for an end without coming to a halt.

It's probably because I write when I'm incredibly tired, so I don't have the mental capacity to stay on one subject.
    HxR

• Liz
    16 years ago

Its not that way for me. Unless i have a homework assignment, i really never plan to write a poem. When i get inspired i am usually tired or bored or both. On occasion i sometimes just have these thoughts that pop into my mind. It can be a certain rhyme that sounds really cool, or i something that i see or think of that inspires me. I also just go along with the poem, i let it lead me like walking a dog. The dog walks and you just follow its path. Then i read it out loud to myself to see if it fits the picture i was trying to describe.

• StephanieH
    16 years ago

I think that may happen to several people too, but for me, I have soo much to say, I never fully get it the way I want too, but it mainly comes out better than i have expected =]

• StephanieH
    16 years ago

I think that may happen to several people too, but for me, I have soo much to say, I never fully get it the way I want too, but it mainly comes out better than i have expected =]

• BlueDreams
    16 years ago

15 years ago......

• TinyDancer46
    16 years ago

Ahh yes, I know exactly what you mean.

Sometimes I think I know how my poem is going to be... but then by the time I'm done writing it, it's absolutely nothing what I expected. Sometimes the whole topic even changes.

• Mommy And Me
    16 years ago

To me writing reminds me of a converstation you have with some one.

you can plan everything out so it 'all goes your way' but in the end it will be nothing like what you were saying to begin with. haha.

so even when you try and plan a poem, it may not go how you wanted it to, but you have to look at the after math i think. was it still a good poem. did you get the jist of how you felt at the beggining?

• Rose not your average
    16 years ago

I get the image in my head about what i am writing well outline and i know how i want the poem to end up also

• xXxSurrenderToMyWrathxXx
    16 years ago

I usually think of a subject, like sad, or love most of the time. Then I make up what I think is a good sentence, and think of words to rhyme. If I'm not rhyming, I think of a cool way tto but boring words. Ex: Sad=Depressed!!!