Swearing in forums and poems

• Pesamenteiro
    16 years ago

Ive only seen it a few times but I waas wondering if there's a rule against it...Im not being a tattle or anything I just wanted to know...

• Gem
    16 years ago

To some extent it's not allowed, if the language it too offensive, a mod will modify it and get rid of it. I think certain words are not classed as swearing.

• PnQ Mod Account
    16 years ago

Read the rules---

Forum rules - http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/forum_rules.html

Submission guidelines - http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/terms.html

yes, it is against the rules. Poems with profanity must be put in the explicit section.

If there is swearing in the forums, then copy the link to the thread and paste it into a private message to a mod.

• mistressxsork
    16 years ago

Haha.
    I didn't know we were aloud to say bad things about ourselves.
    Good thing to know though...

• PnQ Mod Account
    16 years ago

Now don't get all excited... I knew we'd have that problem if we actually came out and said it was ok. There are still some words that will not be tolerated, even if you are saying it about yourself.

• Pesamenteiro
    16 years ago

What about when you put stars instead of a letter.
    Im not the type to swear but just wondering, like the f word they put a star instead of a U.
    Is that alowwed?

• PnQ Mod Account
    16 years ago

Angelina, you should know by now that it's not because we think some people might not know the words and we are smudging their purity or something.
    ---

For everyone:

The rules state no swearing. Everyone should be mature enough to voice their opinion with out the "bad words"

If it were up to me, there would be NO lenience on this at all, but yes, some words can be used as long as they are not being used in a derrogatory manner. Note: warnings and points will be given for ANY rudeness, name calling, etc even if it does not contain the usual "bad words"

As for poems, you can use whatever words you want... but if you do (even if you star out letters) the poem MUST be placed in the explicit category.

• PnQ Mod Account
    16 years ago

Why are we doing what? not swearing? because it's in the rules, it doesn't matter why.

• The Herald
    16 years ago

Too true...

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

"Why are we doing what? not swearing? because it's in the rules, it doesn't matter why."

Eek! I know this isn't that big of a deal, but I hope to never hear that answer from someone again, in a serious matter. Rules should always, -always- have good reasons, or else they're just promoting blind compliance. I think I'd even say that its better to defy for the sake of defying than obey for the sake of obeying.

my 3 cents.

• PnQ Mod Account
    16 years ago

I know, I know, I hated when my mom told me "because I said so", too.

but that didn't change the fact that I should have trusted that she had a reason and it had my best interest in mind.

The swearing rule has been discussed I don't know how many times, we shouldn't have to keep going over it. And no matter WHY the owner made it a rule, the REASON you obey it is because it IS a rule.

• David
    16 years ago

But it seems rules always get broken cause they are there,

david

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

"the REASON you obey it is because it IS a rule."

Yeah, most people probably do. But it's kind of sad and scary, isn't it? It's like Kohlberg's different levels of moral development - most people DO follow rules because they are rules. But we SHOULD follow them because they make sense, shouldn't we?

• PnQ Mod Account
    16 years ago

But doesn't it make sense that you should want to please those in authority?

ok, if you don't like that one, then just think about the people that don't want to read profanity. I know the words, but I'd rather not hear or read them. Some bother me more than others, but I just don't understand why people feel it necessary to use profanity in normal conversation.

• Pesamenteiro
    16 years ago

No hats...
    Ive always wondered that too.
    Hoodies I can imagine but not hats...
    It doesn't make sense.
    :(

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

That's better. : ) Thank you, Ann.

• PnQ Mod Account
    16 years ago

You're welcome! :) finally, I said something right.. lol

• Kevin
    16 years ago

I guess a potential problem with not having a list of "bad words" and kinda leaving it up to Moderator discretion is that Mods are only human, and as we have seen even in this thread, they all have different ideas about what is acceptable.

This is not very good for the members. They need clearly defined boundaries within which they can express themselves. And if those boundaries need to be set tightly around a subject, such as unacceptable language, then good logical and consensus reasoning should surely be given for the restriction.

Otherwise you have a mild form of fascism where rules are rules because they are rules and thats all folks.

Which ain't coolio Momma....

• Hatori
    16 years ago

Haha, I'm so bad at following rules. Some people say "Rules are meant to be broken" But whats the fun of that?

Yeah, about the swears, I see it a lot.

• Pete
    16 years ago

Now i most definitely have one that i need to clarify - I use the word damn waaaaay too much .. i can't get enough of the damn word. I used it the other day and was chastised pretty damn badly about it. It's more of a religious word than a swear word .. is it allowed?!? Most people don't even know they are using the damn word.

Damn it, i think i used it once in here too.

• PnQ Mod Account
    16 years ago

I would prefer to not ever hear or read any swears at all. Mainly because I don't want them in my head.

In my personal life, I look at profanity two different ways.. 1. cussing and 2. swearing.

To me, "swearing" is using God's name in that explitive you are yelling or speaking (or typing)

Cussing is everything else.

I am not the kind of person that will bark at you to not use my God's name in vain. I may, however, say something like, "Don't blame Him, He didn't do it" or "You used the hammer, let's leave Jesus out of it".

As for on this site, again, I would PREFER to not ever read any cussing or swearing at all, but since we would probably end up with no members pretty quickly if we penalized every swear, the general consensus is:

If you are not using it in a derrogatory manner, aiming it at another member or group of people, then SOME words are acceptable.

The words that are NOT acceptable no matter what context they are used in are slang words that name gender specific body parts. Since conversations about sexual activity have been highly limited (see the stickied thread in Love and Romance), it goes without saying that there is no need for slang terms referring to sex.

My list of words that I will tolerate is:
    ass, damn, dammit, hell

Again, I must emphasize that there should be no name calling or anger toward another member in relation to those words.

On a similar note, even words that are not "swears" WILL be penalized if used in a derrogatory manner to another member.

Hope this clears things up some.

• Kevin
    16 years ago

You make yourself very clear Anne, thanks.

I wonder if we can have some feedback from a more liberal Mod, just for balance sake, because it looks like you are the most conservative Mod on this subject Anne and I'd hate for people to take your views are the gospel truth on this matter when I'm sure other Mods have different ideas, which as I said before is kinda the problem.

I say you either provide a list of words that are totally unacceptable in any circumstance or change the rules so that only swear words directed AT someone in an aggressive way be punished. If you don't do this people will swear and be able to defend their right to under a poorly worded guildeline.

• XxbekkaxX
    16 years ago

*The no hat rule...shows a sign of respect similar to not chewing gum...also something about preventing gang violence *

i understand where you are going with this and i agree, but i hate when people try to use that to their advantage. like my middle school v.p changed all our riles because he said it was hang related. like "nothing hangine off of your pants" "guys cant wear eye liner" "no striped socks under rolled up pants" i understand with one leg prmotes gang violence, but both legs? that just made me mad!!

okay, just had to say that. :P

• XxbekkaxX
    16 years ago

And about the "bad word" thing...idk, i dont think it is needed like it was said above, this is a family site and some people are opposed to bad language.

• PnQ Mod Account
    16 years ago

Kevin,

I think my post gives enough information so that people should know which words will not be tolerated no matter what. Why must we write them out?

• Kevin
    16 years ago

Well Ann, to put it simply, you are just one Mod, and you have written the words that you will tolerate. However, what if another Mod will not tolerate those words, or has other words they think are fine that you do not like?

Do you see where I'm going? A person could have their post deleted because one of you doesn't like a word that another Mod has let go several times.

It shouldn't be a random decision based on the personal ideals of each Mod, that isn't fair. So you either have a list of words you all agree on and that we as website users agree on, or you change the rules, because right now it's not very clear.

• Kevin
    16 years ago

This should be locked and deleted because I had the nerve to challenge Ann's views, and she is a Moderator....and even though it's a public discussion which we are both part of, I can't debate her publically.

Which makes lots of sense, and it totally fair right.

• Sherry Lynn
    16 years ago

Kevin.. tone it please....

Be civil and let's all try to get along.

--Sher

• Kevin
    16 years ago

Ok Sherry, how low a tone must I chime before my argument loses all strength? In order to debate this issue the Mods must be involved, because they are the ones enforcing these rules.

In order to debate with anyone, you must respond to their words, and if you find something they say to be unfair or rude, then you should of course within the context of the debate be able to challenge that, like you just did with me by telling me to tone it down.

I did this with Ann....I challenged her words inside the debate she wrote them, show me the rule I broke, please.

• Mo
    16 years ago

"I know, I know, I hated when my mom told me "because I said so", too.

but that didn't change the fact that I should have trusted that she had a reason and it had my best interest in mind."

^^ It is true that there are a lot of young ones on this site, but it is also true that there are adults on this site too, who, at the very least, should be treated with a bit of respect - Im sure those of us that are around the same age or older than most of the mods should not be told that we have to abide by the rules just because you said so - not that age has everything to do with it - but its not the same situation as a mother telling you "just because" when you were a child. We are on this site to read and write poetry, to discuss similar or dissimilar interests with other members. We're not here to "trust" you that you have our best interests at heart as a mod. This is why it shouldn't be looked down upon if someone wishes to question the authority figures about a rule.

I understand why we cant swear on the forums because of younger children/offending people. BUT I also understand Kevin's viewpoint that we should be able to voice our opinions without mod's using their POWERS to delete threads or posts because it doesn't sit well with them or because that mod was being challeged. We do have a right to query, we do have a right to challenge, we do live in a world with free speech and, as long as Kevin's not breaking any rules with regards to swearing (which I dont think he is), he shouldn't have to tone it down if its something he feels strongly enough to challenge it. It stands against everything this site is about.

Rules are put in place to protect the younger ones, and to stop people being offended, so thats great. But they shouldn't be abused to get your own way.

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

I like how, on the radio, "god" gets bleeped out, but not the rest. And on tv, you can say "ass," but not with "hole." Go figure..

• bequi
    16 years ago

Im guilty! and honest!
    soweeee

• Mo
    16 years ago

Am I allowed to say POO? Afterall, poo is a natural thing. And so are bums and boobs. Can I say titties or is that offensive? What if Im referring to my dog's teats? (Although that would be weird because its a boy dog and he has a willy)... can I say willy? (oh dear... I just said it twice...)

• Pesamenteiro
    16 years ago

^^^I totally agree!!!

Are we alowwedd to say stuff lke 'buttmunch' and stuff.
    I use that one sooo much at home. LOL