"Alone" by Edgar Allen Poe

• bianca
    16 years ago

I realizse that there ahve been many posts on him, but i would like to hear any poinions on this poem. I am doing a reasearch project on him for english and i plan on using this poem as a visual aid, but would like hear peopls opinions on it. So please if you will.
    <3 Bianca
    you can find the poem here:http://www.xs4all.nl/~ace/Literaria/Poem-Poe.html

• bianca
    16 years ago

Thanks, and i agree that this is by no means his greatest poem, but for my classes maturity level, and inteligence level its perfect. Personally my favorite by him would have to be "Annabel Lee". I also enjoy "The Raven", but think that it is highly over rated as his best. Another one i have come across that i personally do not perfer is "The Bells"
    <3Bianca

• Gary Jurechka
    16 years ago

I love 'ALONE'-I just relate to the whole tragic-romantic-loner-suffering-artist thing and that poem when I first read it years ago, struck a deep and personal chord in me, though the poem does seem to end too abruptly, or should have wrapped up sooner-it seems to drift off, like it's incomplete. I've noticed many don't particulary care for this piece, but it still seems to have many fans. Of course, I first was exposed to Poe through reading 'The Raven', which is one of his best definitely, many rave about 'Bells', though I don't really care for that one. It is 'alone' which speaks deepest and truest to me and has become my favorite Poe verse.
    Bob, I know from a previous post that you don't care for it, and I think donldrminikus summed it up well, perhaps the two of us can someday convert you, lol!

Peace, Poetry & Power,

Gary Jurechka

• The Herald
    16 years ago

"from childhood i've always been...alone" not a direct cite, but i realy connect with that....

• debbylyn
    16 years ago

Illuminati has a new contest about the poem Alone....I think the poem seems unfinished at first glance....but maybe that's how he intended it.....his unfinished life....tortured and alone...

My personal Poe favorite..."A Dream Within A Dream"...with "The Raven" a close second....I also don't care for Bells.

• bianca
    16 years ago

Thank you all so much this has helped. Its great to hear different opinions, expressed maturly, with out all the bickering. Thanks again
    <3
    BIanca

• bianca
    16 years ago

Well thank you for your imput! My report turned out great, I refrenced "alone" many tiems, along with "annabel Lee" and "The Fall of the House of Usher",and as expected the only thing they said they understood was "alone" and the understanding was simple at that.
    <3 Bianca