I'm stuck.

• Teria
    16 years ago

Okay, I've been trying to improve my writing, and I feel I need to extremely bad.
    I'm not disapointed and all that in it, I'm actually proud. But, I know I can do better.

I've read all these 'Writing Tips' and "Improve your writing skills'. Even the stuff Gary and others have posted on Writers Block.
    I can't figure out why I'm not improving. If you compare one of my recent poems to the very first one I wrote [[not posted on here any longer]] then I have improved far beyond what I thought I would have.

But, for the past like.. four months it seems as if I'm stuck in this rut. I can't improve anything, it just stays the same.
    A few poems better than others, but only a few. I've not taken it to the next level, and I'm completely lost.

I need to improve, I want to become a published author, and not just for poetry.. But, it will be included.
    Many people have said I'm only 17, I will improve over time. But time's passing away, and I'm not sure what I should do about it.

So, what should I do?
    I know I should keep trying, but how do I improve?
    I read, I write, I read more, then I write more..
    Lol. :|
    What else is there to do?

• Gary Jurechka
    16 years ago

I can relate to what you are feeling. When I first started writing (I started out writing song lyrics which evolved into poetry), I knew my stuff wasn't that good- it took years for me to improve (which I hope I have, lol). In fact, I had no idea anybody would ever see my poems but me (by accident my girlfriend at that time read some of my stuff and suggested I try to get it published). I had no intentions of getting published (and am still surprised I was as well published as I was/am) but maybe that helped me not be so self-conscious about my writing (plus it allowed me to have literally hundreds of poems already written and much practice behind me). I wrote because I had to get the emotions inside me out. I wrote for myself (later I was able to write for others, but still the majority of my stuff I write for myself). Or if it helps, the opposite may work for you- write with someone specific in mind. But as for getting published, that will come when you are happy with your work. Write because you love to write, not to get published. I know you've heard it before, but writing is the best way to improve. Also reading- read the well known poets( find a poet whom you like, but read a variety) and the amateurs. You can learn from both good poetry and bad poetry. Reading and understanding poetry helps improve your own poetry writing. Also read some 'how-to' books on poetry. I still do. Though no one can tell you how to write a poem, still there is sometimes knowledge to be gained. If you're stuck try some writing exercises. I see you mentioned some of the posts you read on here, but try reading the posts Notes on Writing Poetry(at http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/topic.html?topic_id=56674) and Notes On Writing Poetry (Part II) (at http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/topic.html?topic_id=86274)- there is a lot of information on every aspect of poetry on these two posts from many notable P&Q members. I know it's a lot of reading, but perhaps you can find something helpful there.
    Mainly keep on writing. For every decent poem I write, I probably write 2 or 3 terrible ones. And maybe you're just being too hard on yourself. I know I'm my own worst critic- I'll write something and think it's great, then a day later I'll think it's terrible. Though all my poems mean something to me, eventually I wind up thinking they are nowhere near as good as they should be. Write about something that touches your heart, something that means something to you. Write when you are emotional, whether mad or sad or happy- just to get the emotions out. If nothing else, flip through the dictionary and find new words that perhaps inspire you to use in a poem. Just don't give up. If you keep trying, you will get better.So read, write, practice...and live! Best of luck.

Peace, Poetry & Power,

Gary Jurechka

• Teria
    16 years ago

Thanks a lot.
    I'll take a look at that post. I'm not sure if I've read it or not. If I have I'll just reread it. Lol.

Thanks for you help, I really appreciate it, dear. (: