Lack ot vocabulary

• 4eversum1
    16 years ago

I love writting but sometimes its hard although its really soothing so i try my best at it. any suggestions?

• 4eversum1
    16 years ago

I meant to say lack OF// sry

• Mack Bopape
    16 years ago

Read more books with a dictionary next to you, to look for the words you don't know/understand.

good luck

• LuVlYlUfFlY
    16 years ago

Just let words pour from ur heart rite al ur feelings down on paper and pour ur heart out the best poems come from the heart

• xXMohawkedMahemXx
    16 years ago

I check the dictionary.. so i understand things better

• Joseph R Hanna
    16 years ago

I have writers block

• Ed or Ian Henderson
    16 years ago

Here's what I did when I first started writing poetry that was intended to impress my teachers rather than just the maudlin crap we all write as teenagers: I wrote out a poem expressing how I felt about the town I lived in, and then I got a thesaurus and looked up just about EVERY word that I'd used and put in a suitable substitute. By the time I'd done, what I had was a rubbish poem with a lot of big words in it...

Over the course of a couple of days I tweaked it and managed to piece together something that was a lot more descriptive than I'd started with, without being as contrived as I'd initially ended with.

Some will say poetry is from the heart. And it is, but via the brain. There's nowt as grand as gettin' a fresh perspective on't best way t'advance yer talent. :-)

• Bret Higgins
    16 years ago

Learn three new words every day... and USE them!

They don't have to be big demanding words, just words and here's three for you right now:

Alacrity

Perfervid

Terse

Thesauruses help in many respects with this. if you don't have one just go to www.thesaurus.com

Also if you're reading and come across a word you don't know, look it up and understand it.

If you use shorthand typing, like you use when texting then try to stop, it doesn't do you any favours.

• Red CSIII
    16 years ago

Honestly, I reccommend studying prefixes and roots

These amazing little three to five letter chunks will help you pop out words you swear you didn't know with ease ^_^

I prefer latin ones, a little smoother sounding on the rhythmic side; perfect for iambic pantameter stuff.

But, yeah- just search "Greek and Latin roots in English" on wikipedia

• TinyDancer46
    16 years ago

Just read a thesaurus...

It helps greatly!!

• fearose
    16 years ago

Yeah, use a thesaurus...

I use rhymezone.com

You can find rhyming words, definitions, and synonyms. :]

Very helpful!

• TinyDancer46
    16 years ago

I agree.. that site is AMAZING.

• MysticBlood
    16 years ago

Well, reading books helps a lot, well, fanfics too..then, the dictionary is always a classic. It never gets old.