Parents dont understand... HELP!

• Bubbles
    16 years ago

My parents just dont understand my poems.. Some of them are sad and i just dont want them to read them because i know they wont understand.. when my parents got divorced i wrote a lot of sad poems... They asked me why i was sad.. they just dont understand.. What should i do???

• Jenni Marie
    16 years ago

What do you do? if you don't want your parents to read your work, then don't let them. if they HAVE to, don't tell them that you've written anything else. or tell them it's your personal and private thoughts. simple, really.

• Dark Secrets
    16 years ago

It's the same with me, I also write stories and other stuff, so I write them on my computer and save them on a disk or on my flash... That way it's harder for them to see them cuz they have to get the flash or cd to actually see them and I'll notice so they can't... hehe

• x0XBloodyFantasyX0x
    16 years ago

Don't let them see!

• T uh Belle lll
    16 years ago

I agree if you can keep your poetry private. It's not necessarily their fault, everyone has their own interpretations of poetry.

• RobinAnn13
    16 years ago

I feel the same way. I'm not sure my parents would understand if they read some of my more depressing poems. If you don't want them to see, then tell them you'd rather keep your poetry to yourself or don't let them know that you've continued writing. If you do want them to see then you can try to explain it to them and hope that eventually they understand. If they don't, then they don't.

• Big hersh
    16 years ago

There is no reason for them to be in your privacy so your doin the right thing but take care of your self

• Alex D
    16 years ago

Explain to them that you're poems are just a form of release for the emotions you feel and that you don't necessarily feel the way your poems portray you to feel and explain to them that even if you are feeling that way there's no such thing as complete happiness all the time and that they shouldn't worry about you because you're just figuring out ways to cope with life for yourself.

• c 0 n f u s e d
    16 years ago

U dont have to show them ur poems.. but i think its a good thing that they noe how u feel about them getting divorce.

• Love vs Fate
    16 years ago

I must agree with this topic.
    one of my poems that i sent through on this site turned out to be published in the poetry.com contest. its going to be sent to the semi-finals.
    and my parents are like, i dont understand how this could have happened because it doesn't really make sense. but yet a lot of people on here tell me that i do have so much talent and i have good poems.

• Lethmelodis
    16 years ago

I can't share my poetry with my parents either, more so my dad. I try to write subliminal and hide messages in my poems about real problems I have, and my dad is smart enough to interpret them. Mom, on the other hand, she's just flat out crazy.

So, I just dont tell them I'm a member of this site, however I know a day will come when they'll want to read some of my stuff, but I'm gonna be out of the house before then hopefully.

Nothing scares a parents more than reading a poem about a drug overdose :/

My parents do know I write however, and they MAY have read some of my stuff online and not told me. As far as parents not understanding, try to explain to them that you write as a form of personal expression and that a bit of privacy and respect would be useful (not exactly in the way, may come across as being a bit disrespectful, but you get the gist).

• Ixora
    16 years ago

*nods* its a problem most of us have.

i have that problem too though with an awkward twist i guess.

nonetheless the way i see it you have all of us here to share it with : ) think of your parents as a spammy member who you can just block out.

the thing about writing poems is that they are *yours* no matter what happens those words will always be yours thus i dont think you have to worry at all hun just let it go : )