Should a poem be short or long?

• Invited
    14 years ago

Is it better to have a short or long poem? Because short ones are like cliff hangers and long poems add more of a depiction to scenery. What do you think guys?
    Chins~

• Good Enough
    14 years ago

It depends

some people can make a short poem really good and then a long one not so good. vis versa.

• Invited
    14 years ago

Thank-you, you guys have been really helpful
    Chins~

• Invited
    14 years ago

Thank-you for your informative answer

• Invited
    14 years ago

Lol. You make me laugh, if you try you might find you will take a good liking to it.

• Jad
    14 years ago

A poem should be however long it needs to be for the writer to express their self in his or her poem. If the poem is short than yes the poem should be short but if the poem is long then it should be long. There are exceptions though such as having a long poem but the poem doesn't reflect on the topic the entire time or if a short poem is too short and does not give enough information for you to be able to understand it. So to answer your question I think a poem should be as long or short as it is needed. I hope this was in some way hopeful to you.

• fanniesson
    14 years ago

A poem should be until it stops.
    If you could say it in 20 words that's good
    if you need 150 you need a hundred and fifty
    I think some poets tend to forget they control
    their poem not the powers that be.
    Limiting words is like telling an artist
    only use blue paint.
    Poetry is art, words that come from the poets soul
    Did I use too many words here? Lol
    fanniesson

• Pink Butterfly
    14 years ago

It doesn't matter whether a poem is short or long, as long as it can be understood by the readers and it is expressed well. Anyways, that's the main purpose of writing a poem right???
    To express!!!!

• Em
    14 years ago

It depends on the writer I suppose b/c some people blabble on long poems and not so much on short ones but sometimes a longer poem is there to finish off what is trying to be said

• Krathia
    14 years ago

I think it depends on how in-depth you want to be as a writer. Short poems have their sweetness; haikus are especially breath-taking when written correctly. Long poems tend to follow a "plot", you need to want to go somewhere with a long poem, to prove a very specific point, or to simply tell a story.

• Indian Comma Bean
    14 years ago

Never limit yourself to length, writing poetry is to express how you feel about something, and you cannot put a limit on your thoughts. True the longer it is the more common it is for people to lose interest and you might jsut be drooling by the time you get so far down, but truly your writing should be for you.

• Vix
    14 years ago

Length is often determined by form.

If it isn't then form is often determined by length ;).

A haiku should be short and an epic poem should be long.

• SolemnWish
    14 years ago

It really doesn't matter to me, or rather it depends
    If you have a long poem thats mainly repeating what you said in different ways in the previous stanza i get bored and leave (keep those short)
    But if you have a short poem that doesn't say enough or is tooooo to the point, i get annoyed (make those longer)

• Shay
    14 years ago

I think it depends on what the writer is trying to say... If he or she can get their point across in a short poem, then keep it short, but if not take as long as you need. As long as you can keep the reader's interest.

• StarGirl
    14 years ago

I prefer shorter poems because it's more of a challenge. You have to get more emotion and feelings in there with fewer words. And if you can pull that off... well... :D

• Rusheena
    14 years ago

Although, some people including myself don't like t read long poems, you never know how much more creative the poem is. Short poems can be just as good, but people write long poems for a reason. Longer poems have more of story to tell and more detail. But both are good! oh btw, I wrote a long poem called "The Man On The Stump" so check it out:)

• Jessica Evelyn Maxwell
    14 years ago

Really a poem can be short or long it depends upon the context and your knowledge about your subject.

• Malboros pipe
    14 years ago

I used to write long poems like 64 liners, but i felt that from the thirty second line and onwards i feels like I'm just waffling. While Lately I have been writing between 8 and 2 lines. So i'd say short, but not 22 lines short, not that i have never written a 2 line poem before, but i like to keep em short for now.

• Baby Rainbow
    14 years ago

Most of my poems are 3 or 4 stanzas with 4 lines, but I have wrote a few very long poems . they worked quite well. also instead of writing a very ongoing poem I have often created one title, then made 4 or 5 different parts, like a sequel, that worked quite well too.

xxx

• Syndicate
    14 years ago

I myself enjoy the longer poems. Not insanely long, but not just one stanza. Of course, the length of a poem doesn't really matter as long as it's well written.

• Mello193
    14 years ago

I write both, i never edit them...so it is all about how you feel about it, i dont mind either way