What Elements Of Poetry Do You Think Is Most Important To Writin

• Robert Gardiner
    12 years ago

What Elements Of Poetry Do You Think Is Most Important To Writing A Good Poem?

There are many elements of poetry The Idea/Theme (subject matter), use of Symbolism, Imagery, and Metaphors, The Rhythm, sometimes we employ Meter & Rhyme. Poetry has Form, Structure (a way it's organized), A Voice, Flow, and Emotion therein. Of these and the Different Elements of Poetry, what do you find (think is) most important?

For me, it all centers on "The Flow" and "Capturing the Genuine Expression of the Poem". It's all about Having a Good Flow and Building Upon the Basic Theme of the poem, through proper Word Choice, use of Imagery, and employing poetic methods of comparison, such as Metaphors and Similes. I key on Rhythm, Rhyme, and Flow. I believe having these three elements contribute greatly to a poems overall appeal and help to make for a well structured piece. A poem should Flow Naturally - be Fluid and Easy Reading. It should have rhythmic symmetry - there should be a harmonious blending of words and lines within a poem. If Rhyme is used, make sure it is instep with the Rhythm and Flow, of the poem. I believe that you should structure a poem to have Appeal, to be Pleasant Reading, and to Capture your Audience. You want what your writing to be easily enough understood. In my opinion, if people can't "FEEL" your poem, who cares how perfect your Meter is, how nice your Symbolism, Imagery, and Metaphors are, and if your poem has Strong Emotions, but is all Scattered (Doesn't Flow), it won't hold the reader for long.

• Tara Kay
    12 years ago

I think first off, the poem needs to flow, thats not just the rhyming and meter, its the wording and emotions too,
    If the poem lacks emotion it won't flow, but if it doesnt flow it lacks emotion.
    Imagery makes the reader feel the poem, if you can feel what's happening, how the writer feels, then the emotion is apparent.
    Also I like to be able to relate to a poem, the emotions and imagery needs to be strong but the genre and the ideas and themes are important to.

But i do also think that the writer must portray there exact emotions, trying to make a poem rhyme takes away some emotion and reality to a poem, sometimes just the words can make a poem amazing!

Tara-Kay

• Jaymi Lynn
    12 years ago

Trying to flow is one of the main keys but that doesn't mean that it neccessarily has to have rhymes. A very big element is imagery. Let the reader visualize the surroundings and the picture itself. Don't tell, show. Make the emotions strong but simple enough for the reader to comprehend.

• Amreen
    12 years ago

For me, the most important part is emotions-building...
    if you have the capability to build emotions, you could hook in the reader to read your poetry till the end..

• Paul Gondwe
    12 years ago

I always think the idea and the theme is the most important..thats to me

• Gianna Daniels
    12 years ago

Can someone please help me with writing

• Maple Tree
    12 years ago

There are many of us on here that would be glad to help you and give you tips... I noticed you don't have any poems posted.... post a few... and I'll be glad to give you some advice~

• Mello193
    12 years ago

I think overall theme and rhyming really. if it flows well and can be understood than i think its a winner, but then again i dont always play by those rules so who am i to talk right>

• Omar
    11 years ago

Well to me it between rhyme and the flow. That's the only two thing i'm good at.