Writing for an audience not yourself

• katie!
    19 years ago

I just wondered who here writes poems for themselves?? I write for myself as I like to get my feelings out and poetry I find is a good way of expression, I'm not saying I don't ask for comments I like to see how my work is doing and how I can improve it, I just think not enough people write for themselves and take what other people say too seriously, If your poem makes you feel better because you've got your feelings out thats what matters

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Honestly I write for both.

People can get just as much from reading poetry as you can get from writing it.

• katie!
    19 years ago

True I didnt mean that I meant more writing so people will say OH thats great which is nice but its not what I write for

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

No, I dont write for comments or compliments either. I like to get feedback, but I like to know that my poetry affects people, physically, mentally, emotionally, whatever. The feedback lets me know how well I am doing in that aspect. I like to give back to my readers for giving to me, if that makes sense.

• Bret Higgins
    19 years ago

Very rarely will I write something that I don't enjoy. I have done it but it's not something I intend to do again unless I get a cheque with a few zeros on it.

Yes, I'm a writing whore.

• Bret Higgins
    19 years ago

Any number between 2 and 9 will suffice nicely.

• katie!
    19 years ago

heehee

• Bret Higgins
    19 years ago

I'd rather it bounced like one of Wallace's bombs, but hey, a souvenir is a souvenir, right?

(I'm English so of course I watch cricket, *grins* though I prefer baseball.. go figure)

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

For a check with a number between 2-9 with some zeroes after... shoot.... I'd do just about anything ;)

(all night long...)

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Oh... ummm...

I meant WRITE anything :)

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

I think that is a good point about comments being taken too seriously, although I enjoy praise and high ratings. The ratings are rarely consistent with the way I feel about my work. In other words the poems that i think are my best are more likely to get rated low. I believe my poems are more dear to me than they ever could be to anyone else. i have more interest in the read counter lately. I am not sure what it means, but it excites me to know that a poem of mine has been read a lot. I agree that getting your feelings out is what matters. but it always makes me happy to hear from other poets

• Brookeღ
    19 years ago

I write only to get my feelings out when I have no one at the time to talk to,and for fun. It's usually at night when I can't sleep and it gives me something to do. I know I need a lot of work but I don't mind anyone giving me their advice. It helps me look back and see what I could have done different to make it look or sound better. I have always loved poetry so I read a lot of poems on here. There is a lot of talented people on here and I wish I could write like they do. SO the advice can be a great help. Some people are just born with the gift to write. Others it takes a lot of hard work. I was born with the gift to talk. A true Gemini! Lol
    I hear a lot of people say they don't like Morgan as a person but if it is based on his comments I think he is on here to help others and nothing more. I value his opinion.

• Laura
    19 years ago

i write for myself. no one else. who cares what they think? if i need to express my feeligs, im not going to let other people tell me HOW to write poetry on something that is my own situation. maybe they can relate, maybe they cant, either way, its my life that im writing about. i do except constructive critisicm and i am open to it. so yes, i like to get other peoples comments and feedback, but i write for me and so if they leave comments saying they dont like it or something, i dont care. it doesnt bother me, but the people who leave compliments, or are always good, yet just as well, i dont let it get too me becuz the poems are for ME.

• «-Pale-Petals-»
    19 years ago

I write for myself. Mostly to help release what ever frustration im having about whatever problem. Writing helps me escape to somewhere else. But i always like to see nice comments and high ratings, I mean who doesn't?

[[samz]]