How to be a great poet?

• LittleMsPink
    10 years ago

Any tips?

• Beautiful Soul
    10 years ago

From my experience writing poetry, I would just say write from your heart and soul and not for anyone else. That way you will gain more confidence. Try different styles and find the one that suits you best.

• Poet on the Piano
    10 years ago

^ Good advice.

I believe we can always improve and learn as writers. Some tips I've heard and that people have passed down are:

- Read, and read frequently. Whether it be poetry, novels, prose, or even newspapers.
    - Try different styles to expand your writing. I used to do a lot of formed poetry until a friend suggested free style which opened my writing up. I felt I could 'show' instead of 'telling'. Be creative, don't always write in four-lined stanzas (just an example). Put emphasis on different words.
    - Challenge yourself. Do exercises that help you learn new verbs, overcome common/cliche phrases or find what words are not needed in your piece.
    - Write down ANY ideas. I've regretted not having a notebook with me or thinking I'd remember it the next day. Something random will pop into my head like maybe a title for a poem or a certain line, and I just let it slip. That could someday prompt a whole poem or be a foundation for one. I've heard many people say to keep a journal under your pillow in case you wake up in the middle of the night and something sparks an idea.
    - Embrace your senses. Don't take anything for granted whether that be what you see in everyday life and have never thought more deeply about, or what you hear. I think a lot of inspiration comes from our surroundings, but what story do they hold?
    - Be honest. I've just come to this point where I am honest with my emotions. Before, I would hide them, be vague or use a different point of view. If you don't know what to write about, say so. Or if you don't know what emotion you're feeling, you can still make something out of nothing. Hemingway has a great quote: "All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know."
    - Use words with purpose. If you are using certain literary devices, make sure they're not being thrown in for decoration but that they are conveying a message. Words have power.
    - Edit, even if it means reading a poem and not coming back to it for a few days/weeks/years. Have a fresh look at it. I write a lot of poetry 'in the moment' and usually post right away. But go back and look at it from a new perspective. What do you want to convey with that specific poem? It can help realize what kind of writer you are and what you can work on.

Keep writing!

• Yatubeera Resty
    9 years ago

Like my friend just said, writing in general is a feeling. its a feeling that exceeds all things and only occupies the mind. it drives you to grab a pen and put down every bit of it.
    i think writing poetry is only different because one must think about the exact words to use so as to put down a particular alignment of their thoughts.
    in short, to be a great poet or writer comes with consistence at writing and time. just keep putting down your thoughts- feelings and wait. time will eventually judge your work and before you know it, you shall be good at writing.
    cheers

• Darren
    9 years ago

Wait for that poem inside your head to win the war.

I spend everyday thinking and forgetting about poetry. I have poems that try to surface from my head that I have to beat back with flat refusal.

if you can learn to embrace them, then you will be a great poet.

I don't want to be a great poet.

• silvershoes
    9 years ago

Wow, great advice so far. I'd like to add: avoid cliches and words that come to you too easily because they feel poetic. Use a thesaurus. Sometimes a simple word is more impacting than a complicated one. Excess is a bad thing.

And yep, that's all I got.

• Colm
    9 years ago

Great advice.

I find it interesting whenever I here successful or professional writers asked tgat question the answer is almost always 'read, read, read!'

• Obimuyiwa Psalmist
    9 years ago

The secret behind a successful writer is creativity

• ddavidd
    9 years ago

By learning poetry of silence

• Maple Tree
    9 years ago

Find your own style.. write your way, no matter how much criticism you receive. Just be you, write your way and let it flow...

• Everlasting
    9 years ago

^^ I like that response

Though just take critiscim in consideration. It doesn't hurt. It can be helpful unless it's just a bunch of "your poem sucks" and they don't explain how... Then it's worthless and it doesn't help at all.( ignored)

Edit: actually I like all of the posts XD