Haibun Contest

• Greeter
    9 years ago

As the title says, this contest is about writing "haibun."

A haibun is a poetry form that consists of prose and a haiku.

If anyone would like to post any information about this form, please feel free to do it. Post your poems in this thread.

Deadline: January 5th.

• Poet on the Piano
    9 years ago

This doesn't intimidate me as much as the sonnet contest, but truth be told, I probably need practice with writing sonnets since I never experiment with them in my own free time -_-

Here's what I found on the haibun, it's interesting!

"The haibun is the combination of two poems: a prose poem and haiku. The form was popularized by the 17th century Japanese poet Matsuo Basho. Both the prose poem and haiku typically communicate with each other, though poets employ different strategies for this communication--some doing so subtly, while others are more direct.

The prose poem usually describes a scene or moment in an objective manner. In other words, the pronoun "I" isn't often used--if at all. Meanwhile, the haiku follows the typical rules for haiku."

(Robert Lee Brewer, taken from writersdigest.com)

• GB
    9 years ago

Fantastic choice, Robert Lee Brewer is awesome and introduced the format clearly.

Count me in for sure :)

• GB
    9 years ago

Here is very informative link:

http://www.hsa-haiku.org/EducationalResources/Guidelines-for-Writing-Haibun.pdf

• Everlasting
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing GB.

I hope more people would participate

• GB
    9 years ago

I'm sorry internet cut in my area and I really got busy. What happened with deadline?

• Greeter
    9 years ago

I think no one is interested in form poetry. I am just going to use my time in continue learning it on my own.

Thank you for keeping a watch in the contests.

• GB
    9 years ago

I feel bad to see this, still your effort is more than appreciated.

I tried this form but I think I made mistakes by using too much imagery breaking all rules of writing prose lol

Anyhow, don't be discouraged, this site is no longer like before, still I will always comment on such good threads.

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

I know we all signed for another contest. But OP hasn't been back for awhile. How about reviving this contest? The haibun really is an interesting style & fun to learn. You have a prose prologue and a haiku about the subject. Traditionally it is about a place, like a travelogue almost.

Here's an example and explanation:

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/nature/poems.php?id=1210450

• Hellon
    8 years ago

A Year in the Life of a Tree

Bare branches with outstretched limbs reach for the sun as it peeks from behind the clouds, looking for warmth as the wind strips the last leaves she shivers in her nakedness. A patchwork quilt of crimson and orange scattered below

autumn leaves surround,
    as a gentle breeze whispers
    goodbye to summer.

The spider forms its web on empty arms, spinning a lace-like shawl over the bent, hunched boughs. Colliding clouds bring rain,

small crystalline tears
    droplets clinging to the web,
    prism of colours.

Cold, silent snow falls down as branches droop, heavy with the weight. The birds have gone now. Standing alone against a blackened winter sky,snow sliding slowly from bough to bough she stands, a forlorn figure

gently tumbling down
    silvery droplets trickle
    from the weeping tree.

Winter lingers long as snow falls continue
    the tree, like a lovely bride awaits her groom, clinging icicles form a frozen crown.

heavy snow falling
    dressing the naked tree in
    a glittering gown.

The sun's caressing rays slowly melt the snow and, as tiny buds appear outstretched arms embrace them. as a mother would her child

spring is in the air
    buds are sprouting everywhere
    growing day by day.

Alas, this perfect vision will soon be gone. As warm wind blows, unable to stay, tiny petals rain down on the grass beneath, weaving a soft carpet of dusky pink.

cherry blossom tree
    oh, so delicate and rare
    petals like paper.

Now a canopy of copper leaves where the blossom used to be. Birds return to nest high upon the tree. Sweet songs sung in the early morning light. Soaring wings point towards the sky.

Building a nest there
    preparation has begun
    singing as they work.

Ever changing leaves turn the colour of the sun. Hungry chicks cry from the nest, wings flapping. Soon they will fly. Today the first leaf fell...floating silently to the ground

Bright warm sunshine
    only to open the door
    to autumn's red leaves.

@Hellon 26th September 2006

• GB
    8 years ago

Elegant and catchy!
    You followed the "Prose/haiku/prose/haiku/prose/haiku Pattern. Everything perfectly seen and narrated through the author's eyes... Very nicely written~

• Hellon
    8 years ago

Thank you Samia...this was the very first poem that I wrote...I decided to start with the hardest form (IMO) and work my way back LOL!!! I've made a couple of little changes (just grammar really) but, although I can now see improvements that could be made...I'm very reluctant to do so. Just posted it as another example.

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

Wonderful examples they are

I have been slaving for Rosaura today, building a sidewalk, but later tonight I will try my hand

Right now I need more liquid in my body, I.E.: Michelob Ultra

• Everlasting
    8 years ago

Huh! Hellon, lol. And here I was, two days ago, writing a poem titled "Dear Hellon did it again" in which I expressed how I felt when, after appearing in my newsfeed, I couldn't read your poem titled " A year in the life of a Tree", just to find out that it's here in this thread. haha

So are we reviving this contest? Shall I judge it like I was meant to? or Can we like create like a workshop type of atmosphere in which participants criticize each other's poems?

• Hellon
    8 years ago

Either way is fine with me Luce. I don't often come onto this thread and missed your original post. Maybe post the link to the main boards to see if it stirs any more interest?

• Everlasting
    8 years ago

Okay, I'll judge it if I receive more than three entries. If not, I'll also participate in this thread with an entry.

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

It took me awhile to write, but I'm in.

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Will someone revive this contest, please? I think after all our suggestions are taken into consideration (suggestion box thread) we cab revive these contests...they are really great and just needs to be communicated to all. :-)

• Darren
    5 years ago

ha ha, not 6 months anymore since somebody last posted here......

This is a great suggestion for a form poem, with Hellon's approval could make a worthy challenge #5