About basics in Poetry.

• GB
    8 years ago

What is the most important element for you while writing a poem?

• Everlasting
    8 years ago

What is the most important element for me while writing a poem? That would be to have the itch to write.

• GB
    8 years ago

Hello Luce,
    What else? other than being inspired.

• Everlasting
    8 years ago

That's all needed to write a poem. The words come on their own.

If on the other hand, one wants to participate in a contest and actually win, then one needs everything from free verse to form poetry, from paying attention to grammar and imagery, etc. One needs a combination of everything, including knowledge and passion. Grammar and creativity... Really everything and at the same time simplicity ( I'm not sure if I should say simplicity but I can't think of the right word).

• Mahal Ko Kuya Ko
    8 years ago

I think simplicity is the word, Ms. Lucero. Haha. Overworded poems can be a disservice to the readers. Just a thought (:

• GB
    8 years ago

Well, the thread took a different turn ~

I don't believe we should show our best skills only when we want to write for a contest, we write to impress ourselves before anybody else.
    Every new writing must be a new challenge for the good writer to give her/his best.

• Everlasting
    8 years ago

", we write to impress ourselves before anybody else."

^ Interesting. For yourself, what is poetry for?

For myself, I don't write to impress. I write because I have an itch to write. And this itch, if I don't scratch it, it bothers me. Sometimes, I scratch it and it feels Oh so good. I feel relief. Other times, I scratch it too hard to the point that I almost bleed, and it hurts badly. Other times, I ignore it, and if lucky, it fades away, but then it comes back and that itch continues to the point that I must scratch it.

The itch isn't necessarily inspiration.

Though hmm in a way, I could say that I write to please the reader and writer in me rather than to impress the reader and writer in me.

So basically, what I wanted to say.. It's that the purpose of poetry for myself is for spiritual growth. I believe a poem writes on it's own and that we don't " necessarily" have to think about it.. Though If I wanted to show my best skills I would then be scratching the itch way too hard, and that hurts. plus poetry, isn't meant to hurt, rather, poetry is meant to give some type of relief.

Sorry, I don't thin I made much sense.

• GB
    8 years ago

Poetry for me is a state of self-confrontation.
    On the paper I can say stuff related to myself, society, surrounds, family and friends, I can say everything without feeling of embarrassment, fear or shame, and when I do this well, I feel like I impressed myself for I was more than brave, even though it could be a vague writing for the reader but for me it's not, and from there - I get a sensation of great relief.

I think I understood what you mean, you think poetry should not be forced and simplicity could be enough element to come up with a good, sincere writing... An opinion I totally respect.

• Everlasting
    8 years ago

Thank you.

• Beautiful Soul
    8 years ago

Inspiration for me. Whether it be fiction or non fiction is moot for me. I try to write comes into my head and sometimes that is from experiences of my past. Also I love creating characters from real people I have known in real life, or use verve to create characters that I wish were real.

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

I agree with inspiration, but on the other hand I believe writing as a skill requires daily practice, with or without inspiration.

I write tons of poetry that are quickly erased simply to play with words and structure. The worst trap a poet can run into is to feel that everything they write should be shared. Most of what I do is tripe and is buried in the ionic desert. Most of what the world sees is mediocre. I hope that out of all of it some rare bits of worthy pieces will stand out.

• Everlasting
    8 years ago

^I totally Agree. To write one just requires the itch which isn't necessarily inspiration. I also have plenty of unshared pieces.

• bequi
    8 years ago

If im hurt

i dont know why but thats the only time i can come up with a poem

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

Don't knock pain as inspiration:

it worked for Taylor Swift & Alanis Morissette

• bequi
    8 years ago

Awww

i tried to be playful with my poem but its dragging and difficult to describe

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

You should post some recent poems. I bet you've had a lot of inspiration raising your daughter; also I bet you've got a lot that did not come from pain.