International Women's Day

• abracadabra
    7 years ago

Does this day mean anything to you?

• Colm replied to abracadabra
    7 years ago

I must look into it because I know very little about it. Save for the themed local radio morning competition keeping me on the metaphorical edge of my seat. I didn't win any of the spa vouchers so I sulked and turned on my 'Now That's What I Call A Hit' CD instead.

• ddavidd
    7 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Did not see this, opened another one.
    means a lot!

• Britt
    7 years ago

Ironically I have spent my entire evening in the kitchen making baked potato salad and elephant ears.

No sandwiches. I've failed. Bahahaha.

I know, I'm a jerk, go ahead and roll your eyes lol

• silvershoes
    7 years ago, updated 7 years ago

Ha, to be honest I don't think there's anything ironic about being a woman in the kitchen on International Women's Day. You do you. Whatever makes you happy. Also, yum.

As a feminist, yeah, the day means something to me. Being a feminist means I respect a woman's right to choose her profession, be it homemaker or C.E.O.
    I think we obviously have a long way to go when it comes to bringing women up to the same level as men (equality), especially in certain countries... but even in this one. Though of course here it is more about combatting lingering social constructs, societal pressures, and presumed gender roles.

A lot of the men I'm friends with on Facebook made tributes to the women in their lives today. That made me feel good. And hopeful.

• Nicko replied to abracadabra
    7 years ago

Nope a women's place is at home

HA

• Britt
    7 years ago

I will say, it was freaking delicious. I've decided to take up cooking as a hobby. I can cook, just don't typically do it or make giant fancy meals, so here goes.

I used to hate women. I blame it on the women in my life, bad friends (by choice), a wonky upbringing with my mom, and the extreme-feminists (I don't even know the proper term for them, because the aunts in my life say they are feminists, but think women should have more rights/more options/more more more than men... men in their lives were worthless etc). So feminism scared the crap out of me. I love the men in my life and couldn't understand WHY they thought the way they did about the very same men. As I matured and grew up, I realized it's from the abandonment they received from their biological Dad, and then the husbands they later chose out of desperation, invalidation, and hurt. Now my heart breaks because I know they're so hurt and haven't been able to grow and move past it, nor do they really want to on the surface. It's easier to stay a victim than it is a victor.

So now that I've grown up and realized all that, I consider myself a feminist. I'm reading this amazing book called Jesus Feminist, and it shows the beautiful points on how Jesus was so pro-women, and the amazing connections it has. In a time where my faith is often used against me for many political agendas (which I've lost the major care for political sides now), it's really great to see how Jesus truly loved, adored, and lifted up women. I don't protest, I don't march, but I show the women in my life a lot of love, encouragement, and help with their homes and babies whenever I can. I'm sure protests and marches may change the hearts of someone, but I feel like my time is personally better spent loving on the women in my life. I've learned that so many women in this society don't feel enough. And we are enough, we are all so much more enough than we ever will understand. Being a woman is hard (I don't discount it may be hard for men, but I'm not one..so..y'know). We're expected to have babies and careers and volunteer and have hobbies and passions and desires and stay healthy and fit while cooking 3 balanced meals and keeping our Pinterest looking homes perfect and our clothes perfect and OH MY GOD stop telling me what to do. Then throw in those who can't have babies (me), and the ration of CRAP you get for not having children... nevermind those who don't want kids, I can't imagine the hell they receive, I have the "luxury" of saying I'm at least trying. But infertile women, are we not good enough because our bodies don't work right? Of course not, but watch out, society will quickly say it (seriously, it's disgusting what people say to me). Mama's, you'd better breastfeed, because breast is best! (insert eye roll - love your child, feed your child, boom!). Mamas need to work full time to earn their way at the home (omg), but how dare you spend time letting someone else raise your children? Not to mention now you have to be sure you have sex at least 100 times a week on top of everything else.

Being a woman is hard, but it's beautiful, and we need to stop trying to be all the things all the time. It's okay to do your thing and do it well, and it look totally different from the other woman who does her thing.

Holy rant. Sorry lol

• Ben Pickard
    7 years ago

That in the 21st century, there has to be an 'international women's day' speaks volumes of the lack of equality that is still so prevalent; it's disgusting. Women - you have my respect everywhere and without getting too political, I genuinely believe this world would be a better and more peaceful place if women were in charge worldwide!

• silvershoes replied to Britt

Beautifully said. Your whole post warms my heart. And the part about being a victim because becoming a victor is harder... wow. So true.

You know, I think a lot of women are raised to not like other women and feel like they need to be constantly in competition. I used to be the "cool girl" who had all guy friends and they loved when I put down other women or lumped women all together (with me as the exception to the rule) or objectified women. They found me attractive because of it. Saying "what a bi * ch" because a girl turned down one of my friend's advances or "what a slu t" because a girl chose to be sexual with mutliple people was not uncommon for me in high school. And the one that got me the most points with the guys? "She's hot." Or anything along those lines, usually much more vulgar.

At some point I grew up and realized this "cool girl" persona/trope (it's played out in movies too) was damaging me, damaging other women, and definitely encouraging the guys I hung around to think "most women this" and "most women that," and that I was attractive because I was different. I don't know what changed my mind, but it must've been in college that I realized women are not my enemy and I should be lifting other women up, and in doing so, I too would be lifted up. I'm pretty ashamed about how I used to think and behave, but I've come to realize it's all over the place. If you're surrounded by the wrong type of guys, they'll find it attractive when you put down other women, mock feminism, stereotype women, etc. You'll be rewarded for it.
    Oh but finding the type of men who don't appreciate that in women is wonderful. As in, men who like when women love themselves, respect themselves, stand up for themselves, and do all these things for other women as well. Those are the men who will make you better and love you for you!

Talking about rants haha. There's mine ^

You are such a loving, accepting, understanding person, Britt. We've both grown up, though I can easily recognize you're further along than me, which is why I turn to you for "spiritual" advice and what not. Thanks for being you!

• silvershoes replied to Ben Pickard
    7 years ago

Hey Ben, love your post. I think boys are raised to be a certain way too ("pink's for girls" "cooking is for girls" "boys don't cry" etc.) and have a lot to gain from feminist ideals. Perhaps if we are all given more of a chance to become who we are without being shaped by gender roles that are pressured on us from day 1, women being in charge would not necessarily be any better. Of course girls usually are raised at this point in time to be more nurturing, sensitive, communicative, and sympathetic, so maybe women in power would make for a more peaceful world :). But that's changing and I see it all the time. Did anyone catch Trudeau's speech yesterday? It was lovely. He is a kind, sensitive man.

• Larry Chamberlin

The most international woman I know shares my life. She started in Nicaragua, lived through an earthquake that toppled her home in the middle of the night, stayed in school despite having to run the gauntlet of both Sandinista and Samozan forces - literally dodging bullets just to get home from the convent where school was held, managed to get a visa to the US when she was 19, got a permanent residency, and then a US citizenship, graduated college, sponsored both her parents, bore two children, and after all that took on the most onerous and difficult task: married me.

to me this is Rosaura Day

• silvershoes
    7 years ago

Rosaura day! Woo! What a wild journey she had been on, wowza.

• Yakari Gabriel
    7 years ago

together with a dutch film maker i made this beautiful visual for women's day.

i love all my ladies! women forever....slay them sisters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQUZVe5B8v0 and here are the lyrics...

It all starts when they say “It’s a girl”
    They give you pink, give you glitter,
    give you tutu’s and tiara’s
    and the idea that you should be soft.
    They raise you, between lines you don’t see
    Until you attempt to step outside of them.
    at 5 you are told that you can’t like
    cars and guns otherwise you’ll shift
    from girl to tomboy,
    In a split second

at 13 your body is a surprise,
    something you are slowly discovering
    Something they tell you to hide
    at 16 it is a playground,
    a place where boys come to learn skill to later use it on other girls.
    at 21 you’re free to name your body whatever you please.
    So by all means do, it’s yours.
    The world will tell you differently but it belongs to you.
    if only for this lifetime.

Woman you are called one too many things
    before you know your own name
    You’re going to run yourself dry
    If you only seek to be called beautiful,
    Because what is beauty but a fleeting liability?
    Something you can lean on for a little while
    But will fail to feed you when your soul is starving
    Fulfillment isn’t always tangible
    By 30 you should already have
    A child, if not you’re a question mark
    By 40 you begin to fade in the eyes of many
    By 50 you’re a book on a shelf

But you must know,
    That you’re glory
    That you’re the how and the why
    That God is said to be a man
    But it’s you that gave birth to him
    So love yourself, in spite of it all
    Because self love is the only one that opens
    All the doors they say you must close.

• Em
    7 years ago

Tell me where it states in the book of life that girls should like pink and glitter and boys should like boxing etc..

My inital thought was why have a women's day? We should be equal without it though apologies for sounding like a douchebag I think we will never be fully equal

• Meena Krish replied to Em

Women have come a long way to get independence and to be now recognized and
    celebrated. But that is not the case in all the countries...there are women who are still
    imprisoned by religious believes and rituals, not allowed to work or if you do all the pay must
    go to the husband. There is no freedom or voice. There are women who have achieved all this
    and society thinking and view is that she is only a woman, she is arrogant gosh we all know how
    she got that high pay etc.

Women's day will be woman's day when she has the true independence to rise and not been
    shackled, not been judged,when she can walk freely at night without been attacked or have acid
    poured on her or been tortured for not giving enough dowry to her in laws and been married off at the
    age of 12 or younger just because parents view girls has a burden.

Larry Happy Rosaura Day!

• Jamie replied to Em
    7 years ago

Society tells us it's not normal to be different. Women will not be equal for a long time if ever and it sucks. I feel its because of Republicans and Christians who spread hate and only want things for themselves and trans women who commit suicide because "God" hates them or they get bullied because people can't either A) mind their own damn business or B) Use the right pronouns (if they care about pronouns). I've even seen other cis women bully trans. Sickening.

"Support your sisters not just your cis-ters.

• Britt replied to Jamie
    7 years ago

So many people misuse, misunderstand, and abuse the word of God to be able to hide behind it in fear of things and people they do not know. Not that I can speak for all Christians, but I apologize, truly. I'm sorry that Christians have messed up so poorly that this is some people's view of them.