So...what's the deal???

• Hellon
    7 years ago, updated 7 years ago

Not a post on here for 2 whole days...are we all in the "I'm so busy mode" or are we just too F**king lazy to post something...WTF is wrong with P&Q these days? Tell me what you have done today? Tell me ANYTHING to make these boards thrive once more! I made bungeoppang today...if you want to know what that is, just ask....

EDIT

Maybe we need some new mods or something? The current ones seem stagnant to me....and, I feel that's not helping the site. While some sign in regularly some don't for days so, I don't feel it' s encouraging members to do likewise. This was a wonderful place to be once upon a time but...something is now lacking and...to be honest, I don't know what it is?

• Darren
    7 years ago

Bit of both for me Hellon, I am lazy when it comes to writing.

I have almost finished a painting that I have been working on since last August. Once that is done I am going to try and write something.

I was surprised that nothing was started or said about the westminister attack, but then maybe I could have begun the post.

• silvershoes
    7 years ago

What is bungeoppang?

• PETER EDWARDS
    7 years ago

Re. the Westminster attack. That was really tragic and has become a regular occurence throughout the world now. It's now become expected and in some quarters, this total disregard for life and these terrorist attacks, have become yet another event that people are becoming used to, and it seems as such, not worth commenting on anymore.
    To some of us, the origins of this clash between two very different ideoligies, can be found some 50 years ago, when rising concerns about rapid changing populations and immigration patterns, were blatently ignored by politicians, the consequences of which, unfortunately, are now being felt around the world.
    No doubt, more attacks will continue for many years to come, something now that we should all expect. Fine words by politicians, and as always, no real action by them, will also no doubt continue.
    If any one is to blame here, it's undoubtedly the politicians who failed to listen to peoples very real concerns, many years ago. Nothing much has changed in that respect I suspect, as far as most people can see now...

Yes, we should all try much harder to write more in the forum as once we all did. Life has got so hectic these days for most of us, but somehow we must all find more time to maintain the forum.

• Ben Pickard
    7 years ago

Since the new site's been up and running, I've noticed that quite a few new members have joined, and actually, the site regularly has more than 10 members logged in at any one time now which was rare before. I've said this hundreds of times but it doesn't change the fact that it's true. New members simply aren't being given the encouragement to stay and - more to the point - aren't welcomed properly or shown how to navigate the site.
    I was thinking that there could be a message that all new members automatically received when joining (from the mods) showing them how to navigate the site (forums, finding poetry, weekly competition and where to read the comments etc etc). Ultimately, what it comes down to, is that it's the same people commenting and nominating every week (not many of those, either) and then we all whinge about it in the forums (the few of us who know where to find the forums). Site inactivity is easily solved by activity.
    Hellon - I have to be honest and say that you raise some interesting points and - harsh or not - probably accurate ones. Some of the mods are wonderful but, for a few, it seems to be just a position held rather than one utilised.

• Jamie
    7 years ago

I have been moving and was in the car for 15 hrs yesterday.

• silvershoes

Couple of things.

Ben, I drafted a welcome letter to be sent to new members and a letter to be sent to new senior members (those who reach nominator status), though I'm unsure Janis added either of these as automated messages before taking a month long break.

I have been more quiet lately for two reasons. First, I got a second job, which will take some adjusting to. Perhaps some of you know I'm an editor for a criminal psychologist? I was recently hired as a registered behavior technician working with autistic children (job 2). Yay! I also just got into the Masters program for social work, which starts in August. At that point, I will have two jobs and I'll be a full-time student, and so I will most likely have to step down as a moderator. The thought makes me very sad, so I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
    And the second reason: I guess I feel like the site is in a suspended, temporary state while Janis is away. Anyone else feel like that?

You guys should feel comfortable calling out specific moderators. It's apparent that specific moderators are in mind when reading comments of dissatisfaction. We are a close knit group and might not see what you guys see (without access to the moderator forum). If you have suggestions for how specific moderators can do better, then I think those moderators would appreciate your straightforwardness. I know I would :) But if you aren't comfortable doing that, that's fine too.

In regard to bombings and death and terrorism, talking about it is helpful in its own right, but what if we all put into action our good intentions in one way or another? If you do not have a job or are not working toward getting a job that helps the world or humanity in some way, you can still volunteer for a few hours a week in your free time or donate to charities or create campaigns, etc. The world needs more good in it. More positive action.

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

I'm here still

• shawn replied to Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

Same

• Melpomene
    7 years ago

I've been in the process of stepping down for a while now. I am very stagnant and don't have the time for PnQ. Watch this space for my little mod letters to be changed to 'member'. As for the rest of the mod squad they're all around. They can't force members to participate on the main boards, nor should they have to come into a forum and talk to themselves. Encouragement can also come from members ... a lot of you have been around for as long as most of the mods. Starting a conversation on the boards like you have just done Hellon is the best way for the site to thrive again. Perhaps spicing things up with a new mod will do the trick too. Lets see where this conversation goes this time.

• Em
    7 years ago

Me? Well, I am here juggling single life, studenting/training, living with my parents and brother (again) because money was right and I was ill and house hunting but I am still here and have been back for well over a year now since I first joined on another account in 2005 after my 2 year break and since I have been back I've been addicted tbh...
    I feel some people have left due to the changes but then again I'm not sure. Everybody as a life I know but when one people could leave at least one comment on a recent poem. I always comment on the recent poems or one/two that catch my eye, check the forums and then check what my faves are upto.

RE mods sorry to say but I have noticed not many of you comment on anything even of to say this is good/bad and to me it is a little off putting but again, we all have life's and I do understand that sometimes its a quick 5 mins but the site shows you online for a further 30mins... Is this something being addressed by Janis when he is back??

RE attacks: It was too shocking for me and I am still getting my head around it as my aunt and uncle were there when it happened!!

Hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes!

• PETER EDWARDS
    7 years ago

Yes, I have to agree with Em's comment on it still showing that one is 'on-line' for some 30 minutes or so, after one has logged off!
    This is very confusing, and members must think therefore that one is still on-line when one is not!

Is this something that can be fixed as soon as Janis is back from his holiday? Thanks.

• hiraeth replied to PETER EDWARDS
    7 years ago

Regarding the issue of being 'online' for longer, I'm fairly certain that's due to how long the cookie is set to expire (the longer time the cookie has, the more time you can close p&q and come back and still be logged in, and the reverse is true). I'm sure we could work something out with Janis, when he does come back from work.

I'm usually on quite frequently, checking up with mod stuff, but not that active on the site. I'm not going to make any excuses for myself, I haven't been commenting and writing as nearly anywhere as I'd like to, but you're absolutely write Em, a comment/forum post a day isn't too hard to manage. Like Jane said, if you guys have any issues/grievances/thoughts/opinions/beef ting with any of the mods or as a whole, let us know on here or in private, if you'd prefer.

• silvershoes
    7 years ago

Yeah, totally. We're mods. We can take the heat :P
    I welcome constructive criticism. I need to be better about leaving comments, that's true. I read a fair amount of poetry on PnQ, but comments are difficult for me. I guess it takes practice! I will try to do better.

• Hellon

To the mods who have responded, thank you, at least I know you are still reading the threads even if you don't always add to them. To the mods who haven't responded well...say no more.

It's true that I cannot see what goes on in the mod room and what certain mods do behind the scenes. Here is what I can see...current mods who have hosted the weekly since the beginning of the year...

Larry 2
    Poet on the Piano 3
    Mark 5
    Jane 1
    Meena 0

You can see how unbalanced this appears to be and how it appears to the ordinary member.

As for participation on the main boards, and this is only my opinion for what it's worth...

Larry...participates a fair bit and is still posting poems regularly...satisfactory.
    Jane...participates on the threads a fair bit. Doesn't post poems as much as I'd like but, she's always been like that....satisfactory.
    Mark...He's generally on more than the others and has been there to answer some questions/problems I had when the new site started...satisfactory
    Poet on the Piano...isn't as available as she once was when she first became a mod...cause for concern.
    Meena...doesn't participate on the main boards much at all. Hasn't hosted the weekly this year at all so I ask..what does she do exactly?...unsatisfactory.

I think most of you could comment a bit more and do a bit of nominating.

EDIT

Jane...bungeoppang is a Korean street food sold mainly in winter. Traditionally the filling is a sweet bean paste or custard but you can use anything. I made them with nutella yesterday. Here's a link...

https://mykoreankitchen.com/bungeoppang/

• Liz replied to Hellon
    7 years ago

I'd like to know what a bungeoppang is!

I didn't do much today. I slept til noon, did some laundry, fed and spent time with my animals and back to bed I went. Lazy Saturday for me.

• Hellon replied to Liz
    7 years ago

I've just added the link :)

• silvershoes

I think I dropped the ball TWICE this year so far on the weekly contest. Things were hectic for me, but they're calming down now. My grandma's health has been all over the place for months. She's leveling out these days and hopefully will get to go home soon. Other mods have been awesome at covering for me last minute, even without notice. Ugh. Fail on my part!
    I should definitely post poetry more. I've been writing, but nothing I'm proud to put my name on. I should post it anyway. I will. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.

• Liz replied to Hellon
    7 years ago

That actually sounds really good with nutella!

• Liz replied to silvershoes
    7 years ago

Glad to hear your grandma is doing better, Jane.

You definitely should post some poetry!

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

Meena has been here and hosts this week as a matter of fact. Like many of us she has had family emergencies and has always let us know.

• silvershoes

Yes. Meena is very active in the mod forum. I don't think she has ever been regularly active on the main forum as she tends to stay behind the scenes, but she's almost always around. Same goes for MA. I'm sure they will both address these concerns though :)

We've been stubborn about letting Mel go, but she officially stepped down today. She's been trying to tell us it's time for her to go for months. Perhaps a new mod is in order!

• hiraeth replied to silvershoes
    7 years ago

To be fair, I work nights on the weekends, so it's easier for me to step in when last minute things come up, such as judges not being able to vote or someone can't host, etc.

I agree with that thought, maybe a new mod is needed. Also, Jane, post your poems! D:<

• Britt
    7 years ago

HELLON FOR MOD.

I cast my vote.

• hiraeth replied to Britt
    7 years ago

on a completely different note. watching big brother canada, can't wait for the us one lol

• Poet on the Piano replied to Britt
    7 years ago

YES.

Hellon, you hit the nail right on the head and I thank you for being observant. I needed that and I know
    it's been days since I've logged in... I haven't been keeping track and it was nagging me.

I will try to do better. There's nothing specific or a "reason" so to speak, and if I said more it could
    be assumed I'm making excuses.

I will try harder to be a more active, available mod :)
    Constructive criticism GREATLY appreciated and needed.

• Britt replied to hiraeth
    7 years ago

Yes! Yay! I feel like it's been forever since the last one aired.. though let's be honest I'm not keeping track because I've been waiting for stupid Pretty Little Liars to come back.

Yes, I know. It's ridiculous. I love terribly cheesy tv..hahahah

• Poet on the Piano replied to Britt
    7 years ago

Never watched Big Brother though I've heard so much about it.

And yes, cheesy TV can be addicting! There's something about the added drama, that as long as it's not my own life, I can sit back and watch it.
    I'm trying to get through Gossip Girl now... but there's SO many episodes and it's back and forth relationship wise. It makes my head hurt haha.

• Maple Tree
    7 years ago

Since when was it a requirement for moderators to be the ones to make this site active?

A ton of us are on daily, reading and commenting. That's the fun and main reason for this site...

I'm not a fan of posting blame or pointing fingers... Moderator and judges are volunteer...We should be supportive for what they do and not be so critical...

• Britt replied to Poet on the Piano
    7 years ago

Stick it out with GG, MaryAnne!! It's good!

• Nicko
    7 years ago

Well said Andrea..... Moderator and judges are volunteers.... we are all members on equal terms these days, its up to us to keep the site active not the mods

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

Am I the only one who noticed that Janis switched "nominating member" back to "senior member" on the new site?

• Hellon

I started this thread because I still love this site and hate to see where it seems to be heading these days. Yes, I did suggest that perhaps some new mods would help as some of the current ones seemed stagnant. I only elaborated on my opinion when Jane posted this...

"You guys should feel comfortable calling out specific moderators. It's apparent that specific moderators are in mind when reading comments of dissatisfaction. We are a close knit group and might not see what you guys see (without access to the moderator forum). If you have suggestions for how specific moderators can do better, then I think those moderators would appreciate your straightforwardness. I know I would :) But if you aren't comfortable doing that, that's fine too."

^^^

and Mark posted this...

Like Jane said, if you guys have any issues/grievances/thoughts/opinions/beef ting with any of the mods or as a whole, let us know on here or in private, if you'd prefer.

^^

I was invited to call out certain mods...we all were but, it seems I was the only one prepared to do so and, as a result, it would appear that I'm now being accused of blaming and pointing the finger...not, so far, by any of the mods who seem to be taking my comments seriously, I will add, just by members who are generally quite willing to sit on the fence most of the time.

"its up to us to keep the site active not the mods"

I disagree with your statement Nicko...it's up to members and mods alike to keep the site ticking over and, I feel that, over the course of the years, I've done more than my fair share in contributing to just that with various challenges, games etc but, I don't recall you participating in many of them?

• abracadabra
    7 years ago

Classic move, Hellon, works every time.

I'm so lazy and tired. I am this close to becoming a bloody Etsy mum who makes $15 a month making fairy furniture out of twigs or designing ugly polymer clay brooches, just to feel like I'm still being creative. My god, those mums are frickin heroes.

• Nicko

Haha I wasn't calling you out Hellon, I know how active you can be. As for the mods well they are some of the most active members on the site, look at Larry for instance. But I still maintain it's the members that keep this site afloat, but we all go through quiet periods. Our club for instance hasn't posted a comment for a week. As for me it depends what's going on in my life as to how active I am here.
    and just because i don't participate in every game doesn't mean i'm not active....

It's not an obligation

• Britt replied to abracadabra
    7 years ago

Bahahaha, Abs. As a gal who is about to ramp up the Etsy shop, I certainly hope it's more for $15/mo, but I really want to see these fairy furniture bits!

• silvershoes
    7 years ago

I started an Etsy page a week ago. I lost interest almost immediately. To be fair, it's reselling stuff from thrift stores, not stuff I've made. Kevin and I have plans to create a company selling beer/wine related things we make, but we have no time :'(.

• silvershoes

Hellon, thank you for shaking me out of inaction.

• Hellon replied to silvershoes
    7 years ago

Thanks Jane. It was never meant to be personal with any of you guys. I just think the site suffers when certain members slack off a bit and...I still love the site enough to do anything I think will jump-start it again.

• Nicko

Are you sure Hellon... ?