Creepy or Comforting?

• Poet on the Piano
    7 years ago

This is a random video I found while checking my feed on Facebook. It's a video written, directed and animated by Kirsten Lepore (an American animator who is more known for her work on Cartoon Network for the show "Adventure Time".)

Now, upon first viewing, it seemed a bit unsettling and eerie, yet I can see the unique tactic of reassuring the viewer... reading the comments on the video reveal some people felt this was a beginning intro or type of ASMR.

Thoughts?? Do certain words or phrases trigger happy thoughts or feel-good emotions? Feel free to share. Just for fun :)

Here's the link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHH2DFDcpH8

• Hellon replied to Poet on the Piano
    7 years ago, updated 7 years ago

I felt 'uncomfortable' while watching it. I think the voice was a bit disturbing and creepy. The form...well it wasn't totally formed gave me the willies too...it appeared to be sweating...ugh....no happy thoughts or feel-good emotions from me.

I thought for a while it represented a new born infant but I dismissed that thought fairly quickly...I'm not sure. Interesting topic that's open for interpretation MA...

• Liz replied to Poet on the Piano
    7 years ago

I didn't watch the link because it's asking me to sign in and I can't remember my password.
    But by your post (and Hellon's) I know exactly what video you're talking about lol

It's funny because my brother posted it on my page, then I sent it to a couple of people. One said "I've never felt such weird affection" lol

While it started off really weird, the longer I watched the nicer I thought the message was. It's just one of those things lol

• Poet on the Piano
    7 years ago

Thank you for the replies, both of you! I completely forgot that it required a sign-in as it's age restricted... so I apologize I didn't mention that earlier.

Yes, some say the voice is disturbing while others say it's gentle. Hellon, I hadn't thought about it representing a baby infant, interesting!

This brings me to want to discuss ASMR, which I only found because I'm on Youtube quite a lot. ASMR stands for "Autonomous sensory meridian response" and is described as a "tingling" or "static-like" sensation on one's skin usually forming at the scalp and traveling down the neck/spine.

When I first read articles about this, I was skeptical. Then, I watched videos and and read personal testimonies as to how it helped a certain person. There are ASMR videos for almost EVERYTHING: some common "triggers" that give people shivers are tapping, scratching, blowing, page-turning, whispering, eating, plastic crinkling, etc.

The ones I looked up were for anxiety/depression. It was basically a scenario where a person is in crisis or having a panic attack, and someone is talking them through it. For me, I didn't have the sensations like others, but it did relax me if I closed my eyes. What fascinates me is the plethora of voices/triggers available on the Web now.

7 years ago

Interesting! Can't say I've heard of ASMR. I can't look up much right now, but would listening to people sing be a trigger? I know of people (including myself) that have gotten that kind of feeling from hearing someone sing. Is that the same kind of feeling? Lol

I know I have felt those tingling sensations when listening to certain voices, or like you mentioned, the scraping, crinkling plastic. I know they have kids toys that are like fabric blocks; it has one side that sounds like crinkling plastic, clicking, and other things I can't remember. It was used for sensory exploration, but I think I played with it more just because I enjoyed the sounds so much lol

I just never considered it actually being a thing

• Poet on the Piano replied to Liz
    7 years ago

^ Gotcha! Hmm, I'm not sure and don't think I could tell you. If you feel it's strong enough and only you truly can assess your sensations... I know a lot of people have experienced these "good feelings" or "brain tingles" from childhood, but never had a word for it (not that there needs to be, it just opens the door to talk about it more and communicate).

I know there's been quite a few studies that have tried to find the causes. I don't believe there are any certainties but a lot of hypotheses include the bonding experience of dopamine, serotonin, endorphins and oxytocin. Quite a few people say they cannot experience ASMR, which may mean they react differently to stimuli/receptor sites.

Just read about "misophonia" - the negative reaction to certain sounds which could be based off a negative experience with it ex: cringing at sounds of eating, tapping, whispering, etc.

There's more on: https://asmruniversity.com/origin-theory-of-asmr/

One of the commenters wrote their view on the phenomena: "I think the occurrence of ASMR has to do with the communication and the processing of information between the dominant and non-dominant hemispheres of brain, and is particularly true for any sensory task. My hypothesis is that ASMR would occur whenever someone shifts his or her focus and control from the dominant hemisphere to the non-dominant hemisphere for any sensory task. I strongly believe that the occurrence of ASMR is in the corpus callosum."

• Hellon replied to Poet on the Piano
    7 years ago

I couldn't get in with MA's link either but this one seems ok..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZvMdMjAQSk

I've watched it again, this time with my eyes closed, and the voice was even creepier. Didn't get any tingles but the hair on the back of my neck was acting strangely.

Oops. Hit back on my browser and reposted!

Never mind. My phone is crazy and I just deleted my whole post.

I'm done. LOL

• Liz
    7 years ago

I can't even remember much of my last post that I deleted. I still haven't checked the links out or watched any videos to see if I experience anything.

But what you mentioned about misophonia, I have definitely experienced. An involuntary negative reaction. Not like nails on a chalkboard cringe, but much worse. Certain scraping sounds, people sucking their nose/ boogers back up (just makes me gag thinking about it), people scratching their skin, chewing, my husband when he scratches his beard makes this noise, that crunchy noise when you stab your salad, the list goes on. Just really random things make me get chills, I gag, my eyes water. Certain ones make me so mad, like the salad thing and the scratching skin and beards. Sometimes he does the beard scratching on purpose, I think, and I just want to hurt him. Haha

I'll do some more reading and watching after laundry!

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

I found the original posted video interesting but neither creepy nor comforting. I found myself seeking to identify the purpose behind it.

When I googled ASMR, I felt it was totally out of the park. I did not feel any of the sensations described. At least, not with this video.

There are some that give me that reaction, just not this one.

• Meena Krish replied to Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

Well watched it and the voice is comforting but the way its been represented and
    put forward to the audience is a bit...unsettling. Lots of things were running inside my mind
    like someone who is watching...knows your every move...a bit creepy but can't ignore the voice!

• abracadabra
    7 years ago

I appreciated the sentiment and the ass that went with it.

• Poet on the Piano

Larry: that's a fair point. I wonder if the animator had an intention or if it was just all in fun?

Right Meena?! It's like the clay man is so watchful, he can see into your soul :P

Abby: YES. That cracked me up though.

• silvershoes
    7 years ago

Is this the naked clay guy? This was all over my Facebook last week. Probably says something about the type of friends I keep :P

I find it both creepy and comforting. Creepy because c'mon, it's a strange video and his voice has that raspy, creepy edge to it. I kept fearing he'd roll over and we'd see the artist's rendition of a clay penis. Comforting because I love it when people are weird and take the time to create their weird concepts to share. Comforting also because I think the creator made the video to reach out to other weirdos and make them feel accepted, which is great.

Mostly the video made me laugh.