Correctness of a phrase

• Inner Phiz
    6 years ago

Hello everyone,

Here a question about the correctness of a phrase which is meant for lyrics in a song. Not being a native English speaker, I'm in a doubt which of the two phrases is correct/incorrect in English?

1. Do you dream in colors or you dream in black and white?

2. Do you dream in colors or dream in black and white?

(Meaning: "your dreams in your sleep are they in colors or in black and white?")

Thanks for your feedback and best vibes !
    BD

• Ben Pickard replied to Inner Phiz
    6 years ago

Number two is best there.

All the best

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Depending on your needs for meter or syllable count you could say:

Do you dream in color or is it black and white?

Or

Do you dream in color or black and white?

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Either would suffice but in my opinion the second reads better, but that's only my opinion.

Regards

Craig

• ddavidd
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

All above, it is up to the writer.

But there is a misunderstanding about the question conceptually.
    Dreams aren't black and white when they are not in colour. Only when the colours are asserted in our dreams, and we recognize them, we relate them to our awake dreams and classified them as such. We assume, so if this dream is in colour, then consequently the others we did not see any colours in them, must have been black and white.

• CJ Maleney replied to ddavidd

Yes but what if the question was metaphorical? The black and white not being the images contained within the dream itself but the release of putting pen to paper,

When I do remember my dreams they are usually very detailed and if it's not a good one I find I can wake myself up, however I have never had a dream that only contained black and white images

Regards

Craig

• ddavidd

I agree, the metaphor is legitimate in the context , -actually is nice,- even though in fact is incorrect.

• Everlasting replied to ddavidd

No doubt, I have had dreams in black and white, specially, when a few days back, before dreaming them, I had watched movies in black and white. Also, i have had dreams in Sepia. Those were weird ones. But the majority are in vivid colors rather than dull or opaque ones.

• CJ Maleney replied to Everlasting
    6 years ago

Isn't it weird what our tiny little minds can conjure up when we give them the run of our heads.

Half the stuff I've written comes from dreams

• ddavidd replied to Everlasting

How did you know it was in sepia? Was it in comparison with other colous, or it stood alone and the only colour you saw was sepia?

again
    How did you know it was black and white? Did you see the black and white or you just assumed it was black and white because you did not see any colours?

To consider: dreaming in colours is by definition a very rare oddity and doesn't happen often if it happens at all. Those who see colours occasionally in there dream are considered lucky ( for the lack of better term)

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

My dreams are definitely colorful. I don't understand why someone wouldn't dream in color. Seems like dreaming without color would be more noticeable.

• Everlasting replied to ddavidd

How do I know it was Sepia? I saw the dream like the sepia feature of the camera. I noticed the sepia tonality. I even woke up googling what it meant to dream with that tonality. I did the same for when I dreamt in black and white. But I didn't find any interesting answers. Also, I didn't assume. The dreams were like the black and white movies.

• Everlasting replied to CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

rather than weird... (though I love the word weird) I think "fascinating!" would describe it better. Our minds are so tricky

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

I have found numerous studies regarding dreaming in color versus black-and-white.
    However, the one I found most ironic was at
    <http://www.realmeaningofdreams.com/dream-in-color.html>
    RealMeaning reports the same as the rest of the studies, that 70-80% of people report dreaming in color. Beyond that Realmeaning seems more fluff than substance.

An interesting study attributes the prevalence of reports of black & white during the early to mid 20th century as reflective of the black and white media of the time. When color media became the norm people again reported primarily color creams, consistent with writings by Aristotle, Descartes and Freud.
    <http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~eschwitz/SchwitzPapers/DreamChina.pdf>

• ddavidd replied to Larry Chamberlin

It is so mystifying studding subject as confusing as dreaming, specially by Googling them, by surfing in internet, or by surveying, as in "Family feud” TV show does it, by seeking random people's superficial views. In precise the way, nowadays, we study things makes it impossible to find a "Real Meaning" definition of nebulous topics such as dreaming.
    People mostly assume thing about their dream that are not factual.
    There is also a fundamental difference between dream and dreaming per se. According to the " Art of Dreaming". one refers to random dreams and the other, does to when we grow attention in our dreams, when we recognize colours, angles, or particulars, in our dreams and focus our attention on them while we recognise in our dream that we are dreaming. To do so there must be a surplus amount of energy at our disposal, and that makes it so intermittent. ( we lose the bulk of our energies during sexual activities, in anger, jealousy,... and through the constant naggings of our internal dialogs.)
    Seeing coulors in our dreams is as scarce as finding our hands in our dreams and counting our fingers. And I challenge you to do either of them, and check how many years would take for you to achieve that.

Of course, one could delude him-herself of seeing colours in his/her dreams every time, but who is to check the accuracy of such claims? This, obviously, by any means does not deny the possibility. So I am not calling anybody a liar. This is merely an invitation to examine our dreams more thoroughly.
    Also I know this subject is very controversial and in a monotonic environment such as this, this is as much as I am prepared to go nonmonotonic.

• ddavidd replied to Larry Chamberlin

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

;8-)