Pray for Manchester, pray for the world

• Phil
    6 years ago

So there's been a suspected terrorists attack in the Manchester arena after a concert when people were exiting and most concert goers were children.

Atleast 19 people have sadly lost their lives and 50 are injured so please today let's spare a thought for those families who will not be hearing all about how the concert was but instead waking up not seeing their loved ones again other than no doubt identifying their bodies.

Peace out.

• BlueJay
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

I do not understand how this is what the world has managed to become. I am positive we were not intended to kill each other so commonly. But thank you for sharing the info and I hope that the hearts broken by this instance are healed swiftly.

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

It was after an Ariana Grande concert, so most of the crowd was guaranteed to be young. They are saying so far that it was a lone individual, suicide bomber, homemade device filled with steel bolts. No indication yet whether he was tied to a terror network such as Isis or a deranged lone wolf.

• ether
    6 years ago

Given the age/audience of that show it was indeed a spineless attack. I'm glad the prime minster and opposition leader have decided to postpone their campaigns for a while after this attack, too. Very horrific for all the victims, families, and spectators.

Just yesterday evening I was playing beach volleyball with a group of refugees (who invited us to join their game), and had the best time. The oldest was a Syrian father who fled his town 1.5 years ago after 30 bombs were dropped in a single day. A year earlier ISIS first came to the town (a Christian town) and threatened to kill any women who do not wear a hijab. The Syrian father almost immediately sent his wife and daughters to Vienna (who do not cover themselves), but remained to support his family through the business he owned there for a year. He told us although he's sad he had to leave the town he was born and hopes to return one day. When I hear Donald Trump saying he wants to obliterate extremist groups, this means dropping even more bombs on towns like the one where my new friends are from. It breaks my heart. No doubt the attack in Manchester was a tragedy but dropping more bombs just hurts children in other countries.

• Phil replied to ether
    6 years ago

We shouldn't rise to it with dropping more bombs as I feel that's what these extremists want. They are killing innocents with no regards. Isis are claiming the attack as there. I feel for all those families who have lost someone even more than 1 and for all those children still missing to be able to make it home !!!

• silvershoes

I would've bet you guys my entire bank that ISIS would claim the attack. It serves ISIS to claim any unclaimed act of terror and violence. There is no further evidence at this time. I agree with Larry's statement and ether's sentiment.
    Trump gave a great speech in Saudi Arabia on Muslims and ISIS. It sounded nothing like him, but I appreciated it tremendously. Essentially it was about how we need to band together with Muslims to drive out ISIS and ensure none of us lend terrorism any support or resources. It was also about opening borders to refugees, promoting women, and respecting the modern Islamic faith and not confusing it with ISIS.

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

Sending my love and support. Ether, thank you for sharing that Syrian father's story.
    I think the more we realize that refugees are our brothers and sisters (and not to be confused with ISIS),
    the more we are able to open our hearts and homes, and to see the effects of how much they have had
    to suffer. It's more than I could even fathom.

I was shocked (but not in a way) to see the comments on our local news pages. There are some
    awesome organizations in our city of Indiana that educates and unites other Muslims with our community,
    but there are also many, many close minded people. Reading the comments that shout that Muslims
    have no humanity is very disheartening, but there were many voices that spoke up for the Muslim community
    which showed there is hope. Hopefully things (and hearts) can change with time.

Jane, hadn't watched Trump's speech but I am glad he at least touched on the important role Muslims do play,
    and that to defeat ISIS, we need to unite.

• Darren
    6 years ago

I don't know what to write.

You feel that bit more when you have kids.

My news feed is full of faces of kids missing or dead.

I am getting sick of all of this killing/bombing.
    Whether its Manchester or in Syria or anywhere.
    We are a stupid race.

Killing each other for sport, for glory or for a few words that somebody may have written down a few thousand years ago.

We don't deserve to be the dominant species.

• ether
    6 years ago

This is the only place on social media I can find where everyone shares the same views. I agree with all of you. It really does seem like we don't deserve to be the dominant species. And I agree that we must unite, but we must unite and actually do something. Therein lies the problem, what is the best way to take action against such events? I would be interested in everyones input to that question.

• Jamie
    6 years ago

No matter what to answer violence with violence is never the answer. And if you think that way, you are part of the problem.

• Milly Hayward replied to Jamie
    6 years ago

The problem cannot be resolved by bombing other countries indiscriminantly because innocent people also die. The problem is small groups of vile sadistic power driven people brainwash weaker individuals to do violence in their name and mock the concept of human rights. You cannot rationalise or negotiate with them because their goal is death and destruction. Its like being in the school yard with a group of bullys beating up other kids. If the kids refuse to fight back they still get bullied. If they fight back with the minions the head bully just ramps up the violence. Fight and beat the main bully and put him out of commussion and the ring of bullying stops. The government need to cut the head off the serpents and stop their brainwashing of weaker people

• Nicko

Humanity is sick

I feel sick that such ideology exists in this world. This terrorist was born in England, his parents Libyan refugees. Why did he have such social disconnect with the country he was born in, a country that is peaceful, that offers every opportunity in the world. What is was he fighting ?? Western culture, Western ideology

The west has been indiscriminate in how they have killed and bombed in the Middle East. I think Bush has a lot to answer for his bombing of Iraq where thousands of innocents were killed.

• Phil
    6 years ago

Guys and gals thanks for your views. I agree trying to solve the problem of violence with violence is silly but nowhere in this post has anybody mentioned that Jamie.

We all need to realise (I know here you do) that Isis and Muslims are in no way related. The Muslim community were amongst those in the emergency services saving lives, offering up their homes and giving free taxis to those who needed them to escape the chaos.

Love not hate