ECLIPSE Fever: Where will you be on 21 August?

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

EDIT: DO NOT LOOK AT THE SUN, OTHER THAN DURING TOTALITY, WITHOUT PROPER EYE PROTECTION.
    Sunglasses, exposed film and other makeshift devices are not enough.
    You must use ISO approved lens BUT beware of buying them from sources you are not sure of (there are reports of suppliers counterfeiting the ISO approval).

The following site has information on verifying ISO approval:
    <https://www.qualitydigest.com/inside/quality-insider-article/how-find-out-if-iso-9001-certificate-valid.html>

Here is an example of an ISO Certificate (this is where I bought 50 pair for our group):
    <https://www.eclipseglasses.com/pages/iso-certification-paper>

It’s getting close to the last total solar eclipse over North America in our lifetime. 21 August is the best it gets for the US. The eclipse enters totality off the Western shore of Oregon and sweeps across eleven states before it leaves the US from South Carolina into the Atlantic.
    The cities that see totality include:

Salem, OR
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Jackson, WY
    Lincoln, NE
    Kansas City, MO
    St Louis, MO
    Carbondale IL
    Paducah, KY
    Nashville, TN
    Murphy, NC
    Hiawasee, GA
    Columbia, SC

You can check out the total listing at:
    http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/in_the_path.htm

One site states the best places to view it will be:
    Madras, Oregon.
    Snake River Valley, Idaho
    Casper, Wyoming
    Sandhills of western Nebraska
    St Joseph, Missouri
    Carbondale, Illinois
    Hopkinsville, Kentucky
    Nashville, Tennessee.
    https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

My wife and I plan to fly into Chattanooga (my home town) and drive up to Decatur, TN.

Do other’s have plans. [Britt you don’t even have to go far; maybe Jane can join you.]

• Britt replied to Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

I will see it in my hometown (I'm near Salem) for 4 minutes! Guys it's CHAOS. Roads are shutting down for real lol.

Jane I have a spare room if you wanna come on up!

• Aegis replied to Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

I'll be watching it in the Rogue Valley, southern Oregon:)

• Maple Tree
    6 years ago

I will not be able to see it.....but I'm going to sit outside anyway!

• Britt
    6 years ago

I'm so ready for this thing to be done and over with. I keep hear so many comments about how people are panicking like it's Y2K and it's gonna be a flop all over again.

Not even close. My town of 9k is expecting to get an additional 40k people in our surrounding area with our campsites and lawns rented out. That's a huge influx of people, and that's just our town. It's reasonable to not try to go to our LONE grocery store on the day we have 40k additional people, when on a good day the store is a crapshow.

Y2K was an event that millions thought we wouldn't have technology. This is just an influx of people for a short amount of time. There's no hysteria, there's just planning.

Rant over.

• Larry Chamberlin replied to Britt
    6 years ago

Great stuff, Britt!
    With the length of this eclipse you'd think the incomers would be more spread out.
    50 miles across for over 3000 miles!

Hope you have your eclipse glasses - they are going fast

• silvershoes

21st of August, you say? My MSW orientation is on the 21st! I'll be returning from camping at Fallen Leaf Lake on the evening of the 20th. Busy couple days :) We have "big skies" here in the biggest little city, so hopefully we'll be able to see it.

Britt, thanks for the invite. We have a spare room here too, just so you know.

• Britt replied to silvershoes
    6 years ago

Yes Larry, we have plenty of glasses ordered. I hope it's not crazy cloudy and we get the full affect!

Jane! Let's make this a thing sometime for real!

• Britt
    6 years ago

It's taken people 3.5 hours to go 19 miles in part of Central Oregon. Gas stations are starting to run out of gas, and our grocery store shelves are bare of essential things.. lol. Gas has gone up from $2.35/gallon to $2.85, with another dollar increase expected over the next two days.

Is. This. Over. Yet? 12 million people expected to be traveling to Oregon from other parts of the country/world.

• ddavidd

These people, dying to get a better sit watching the external ECLIPSE, blind to the eternal internal ECLIPSE of their own!!

• Britt replied to ddavidd
    6 years ago

Amen.

• ddavidd replied to Britt

:) :)

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

I will be in the little town of Kalamki on the island of Zakynthos, either slashing around in the sea or a water park. Or perhaps in a little Greek taverna

12 hours till I fly but who's counting ;-D

• Britt replied to CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Well that just sounds like pure torture. I hope you're able to find some fun in all of that ;) hahaha Have a great time!!

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Off to my hometown for the eclipse. Hope it's not already as crazy as Britt's place.

• Lucifer

I will be here on pnq to see if my poem wins the weekly contest or not.

• Britt
    6 years ago

Literally worth all of that crap and chaos my little town is experiencing. That was GORGEOUS.

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Best news on PNQ, Britt.

• Liz
    6 years ago

Got around 95% coverage, it was pretty cool. The darkness and temperature drop made it even more so!

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

I was in my Masters of Social Work orientation all day, but they let us out for a little bit to watch the eclipse. Unfortunately I left my sunglasses at home and didn't want to burn my eyes. Still, the crescent shadows on the ground were cool :)

• Nicko
    6 years ago

it didn't happen in Australia... in another couple of years here

• Britt replied to Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

It honestly was such a spiritual experience for me. I cried my eyes out lol

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Next US total eclipse is 8 April 2024 IN TEXAS!
    Y'all come, now.

• Michael D Nalley replied to Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

I live south of 100% total so I decided  to drive the shortest distance . I had watched the sun rise at my house and noticed a particularly bright object to small for the moon I figured was Venus. I got so excited after studying the almanac that I left too early and parked in a Walmart . After what seemed like a long time I decided to go buy a coke. I remember the line was so slow I thought I might miss the whole thing . I suv had pulled up by were I was parked . I did beat them back and a lot of folks began to set up a spot in the shaded area around the parking lot . I think I almost fell asleep when I heard the people hum with awe . I grabbed my welding goggles just in time to see a live picture perfect diamond ring effect as the last eighth of the sun showed to the east . As I was mesmerized a heard kids say they could see stars . I could see Venus had not moved too far away from the sun since seven o clock they just appeared to have moved 90 degrees in the sky  together .

• mossgirl19 replied to Michael D Nalley
    6 years ago

Wow!!!