How Do You Cope?

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

So here I am on the beautiful island of Zakynthos,

Those of you I chat to on a regular basis may remember my silly poem Ambrosia was inspired by a little eating place here of the same name.

Normally I come to Greece around may time and it's hot, this year I'm a little later and it's Damned Hot!

I rose at 6am Friday morning and did a full days work, finished stayed awake then travelled to the airport, flew at 6am landed at 10 then spent the rest of the day larking about in the pool with my kids, getting a bit tipsy at night and eventually retiring at around midnight. 42 hours without sleep by my reckoning.

You would think the exhaustion and the alcohol would have combined to knock me out and the sand man would come. He came and went and came and went and came and went. Think I managed about 6 hours of broken sleep, balcony door open, just in my pants and laying on top of the bed, still too bloody hot!

Weird thing is ! I did two 6 month tours of Africa and never once had a problem sleeping. Old age creeping in?

Many of you live in this kinda climate all year round am I honestly don't know how you cope. My dream of one day emigrating to Australia needs rethought me thinks.

In the mean time the bus to the aqua park should be here soon, right where's my towel? ;-D

Catch ya's on the flip side

Craig

Ps. If anyone fancies a chicken dinner, there is a Cockerell outside who's days are numbered lol

• Hellon replied to CJ Maleney

Why do you find the time to post here when you are on Zante? (same island but much easier to spell :))

The weather is very different to here in Perth Australia...more humid and, for me at least, easier to handle. Our weather can be extremely hot for a few days and then becomes more manageable with an average in the mid to high 30s in summer. Right now though, I'm freezing my ar*e off!! honestly, it's rained non stop for around 5 weeks and the temperature has been really low. So...maybe still think about emigrating ..I'm sure you will fit right in :)

I stayed with a lovely family over there who run The Pantheon Hotel so...if you have time...visit Janis and Catriona...they are just brilliant people....

I'm soooo jealous BTW Craig..hope you have a brill time :) (I know I would haha)

• Em

Definitely old age Craig LOL!! just kidding I can't stand the heat but I reckon thats because of my extra padding of which I'm trying my hardest to rid of or the fact that usually I'm freezing my tits off, that being said have a wonderful holiday and if all else fails I'm sure someone will take a hammer to your head so you can have a little extra sleep though be warned you'll wake with a bit of a sore head haha
    Enjoy x

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Zante is a beautiful island, Craig, I've been there twice. As for the heat, I've just spent a week in Menorca and it was 32 plus all week (about 72 f in American money, I think) - too much for me.

• Hellon replied to Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

^^^

Whimp!...I'm just considering taking my jumper off then :)

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Jumper? I'm unashamedly down to my smalls much past 30 Celsius, Hellon...

• CJ Maleney replied to Hellon
    6 years ago

I haven't owned a jumper for at least 25 years, do they still exist lol

• CJ Maleney

Kids are having siesta so taking ten min to log in. I won't be reading or writing anything this week, just kinda like you guys so touching base.

Today's been a brill 39 centigrade, thank god for water lol. Is it wrong that I've been using the kids run bladck? Factor 50 lol

Craig

6 years ago

Rained for 5 weeks?

It rained 1 day in my home town back in December 2015. I spent the next day and a half in a canoe pulling people from their homes.

5 weeks of rain! Screw that

Lol

6 years ago

I shall look up said hotel and if near I'll pop in for a beer

• CJ Maleney replied to Ben Pickard

I used to go to Spain a lot but I find the culture here more to my taste. Spain is lovely but just too too touristy. You get hounded to go in to bars and stuff just by walking past.

Greece, they're just so much more chilled. The people are lovely

And the food! Oh my god the food!

It's heaven

6 years ago

Ps.

I find the time to write in the same way we find time to breath.

Normally I would have a book, "I forgot it"

So I'll twaddle on here until tummy's needed filling.

So weird being the only one awake right now.

Peace out

Craig

• mossgirl19

I say old age...oppps. :-)

Here in the Philippines its more than 30 c everyday...about 6 c more in the summer. We are so used to heat here most of us don't even have air cons. How to cope with this temp... I say drink and drink lots of water... thirsty or not...hehe. Water helps us sleep well too.

Enjoy your time there!

• CJ Maleney replied to mossgirl19

The apartment has air conditioning but I've not succumbed to it yet, figure I'm only here to sleep and eat , although it's my 6am and I'm wide awake. Bloody Cockerell is so gonna get cooked if it carriers on.

Wouldn't mind so much but I even fed the bloody thing and his ladies last night. How ungrateful lol.

Craig x

Perhaps I'm just tight and refuse to pay for the air con lol

• mossgirl19 replied to CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Here in the farms we have Cockerels by the open window...no need for an alarm clock really...hehe.
    When the crow wakes the sun wakes too.

Awww...I'd rather not pay and enjoy the natural heat...hehe.

• CJ Maleney replied to mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Indeed.

Still thinking chicken in white wine sauce though lol

• mossgirl19 replied to CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Haha in that case...poor cockerel...haha

• Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

If you drink plenty of water wear long loose clothes and don't use aircon apart from an initial say 20 mins just to take the edge off your hot hotel room. You get aclimatised much more quickly. I am lucky in some ways that my body temperature gauge is screwed so I don't feel the heat as much.