Praised comments? Help!

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

Hi all :-)
    I'm interested to know more about how the system for praised comments works. I've had a good look around the site and found this:

"Finally, we tightened up the criteria for approving praised comments. Mere glowing praise for a poem, however long, should not be approved, even where the poem is extensively quoted. There must be some cogent analysis, some meaningful feedback or at least substantial suggestions for improvement. Each comment is assessed on a case-by-case basis. With seven mods and since it is a subjective process, the results must vary."

My issue is thus: as a newcomer to poetry, I feel totally unqualified to be analysing or suggesting improvements to anyone's poems? I'd feel awful if I inadvertently offended a seasoned poet with my clumsy, unknowledgeable 'critique' of their work!

Also, I have no idea of whether any of my comments have been praised so far, I can't find a count anywhere ... so I have no idea if I'm even on the right track?

I'd love to hear all your thoughts on this you lovely bunch! :-)

Kitty =^.^=

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

I'm kinda with you on this but then it doesn't really affect me as my fall back response is usually

!wow!

This will never change, I either like something or I don't, I certainly can't critique someones work as mine is so often full off errors, some deliberate;-)

I just enjoy poems for what they are

Craig x

• Ya----Na
    6 years ago

Completely agree with both of you.
    Craig and kitty

• Darren
    6 years ago

You can critique somebody's poetry simply by stating what you think worked, then what you think didn't. But tell them why it didn't in your opinion.
    I find it helps if you read it aloud to yourself.
    Is anything a bit rambling? Does the pace change mid stanza etc.
    Just be brave and point it out.
    When I last judged I was a bit of an arse but I at least tried to explain myself.
    I feel that too many people leave no comment rather than potentially offend.
    If you want to tear my stuff to shreds then feel free.
    Sometimes a second pair of eyes and an entirely different POV helps.

• CJ Maleney replied to Darren
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

"When I last judged I was a bit of an arse"

Laughing mine off at this

:-D

I've gotta be honest though I'll deliberately change tempo at times, although I've not done so for a while.

I've seen me start off with the first verse/stanza rhyming then break it into something completely different.

Dunno why. It just sometimes feels like the right thing to do.

Hey ho I never claimed to be normal.

Craig

• Everlasting
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Well, if you write what you think the poem is about and explain why you think the meaning of the poem is what you think, then it can be praised by some authors.
    Also, if you offer suggestions as how to improve the poem, grammar wise or give any tips. It might be praised by some authors.
    Preferably, write interpretation and offer some suggestions so if the author praises it, then the mods approving the comment can also agree with the author and go ahead and let the comment be praised.

When I started, I gave my interpretation and explained why i came up with it. I quoted lines from the poem and included them in my explanation. I also gave a few suggestions grammar wise.

I hope this helps.

• CJ Maleney replied to Everlasting
    6 years ago

The only problem with writing what you think it's about is you could be completely wrong. People hide things in the form of metaphors. I know this for fact because I'm one of them.

That said I do elaborate on another's poem from time to time usually when it's what I call a sledge hammer poem.

Ya know the type that just kinda floors you.

Craig

• Kitty Cat Lady replied to Darren
    6 years ago

That's really helpful Darren thanks .. and brace yourself! Lol
    =^.^=

• Kitty Cat Lady replied to Everlasting
    6 years ago

I'd hate people to think I'm a grammar bore (I am though!) Lol
    Thanks that's all helpful :-)
    =^.^=

• Kitty Cat Lady replied to CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Well thanks Craig! Lol
    Now I'm confused! Maybe I'll try and decipher the metaphors of one of yours ;-)
    =^.^=

• Everlasting replied to CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

In my opinion, there is no right nor wrong in terms of interpretation.

I also write mainly metaphorical but not exactly intentionally. I mean, I don’t write to hide. I write to uncover.

Hmm come to think about it, what do you think is a reason why readers intérprete a poem totally different to what the author intended? ( that is, if the author intended to write it a certain way)

• CJ Maleney replied to Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

Ha good luck with that, the randomness of my head confuses even of at times lol

Craig x

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

People often write one meaning and do not realize wholly different meanings they have inserted to the poem. They may have inadvertently done so or, much more likely, their subconscious has laid a gloss over their intentions.

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

I guess that's the beauty of poetry, as with any art, the reader finds meaning of their own which could be wholly different to what the writer intended. The only importance being that meaning of some sort is found?
    =^.^=