Weekly contest results, 16 October 2017

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Cycles. We experience many cycles in life. Day-night, youth-age, summer-winter. The judges this week rewarded poems expressing a subtle cycle: despair-hope. Ben’s loss of hope in the failure of his expectations; Mihir’s depressed waiting passively for his mistress, sleep, to relieve him of his jaded outlook, if only for a short while; Kasie’s inspirational urging to rise above such despondency and become the hope of the future. The cycle is reversed in that hope gives the final word. However, this is fitting just as with Pandora’s box: after all the ills of the world spill forth, hope is the final thing emerging.

Front Page Winners
    So Many Things by Ben Pickard . . . points 17
    The Mistress by Mihir Deshukh . . . points 17
    One Smile by Kasie . . . points 11

Honorably mentioned
    A carefully guarded place by Brenda . . . points 10
    Celebration by Milly Hayward . . . points 10
    The cycle of desensitization by Poet on the Piano . . . points 10
    Missed call (Ben's thread) by Michael . . . points 7
    Word games by Em . . . points 7
    I'll bring you Back, I Promise by Maple Tree . . . points 4
    Sleep by Risque . . . points 4
    Snaccident by Kitty Cat Lady . . . points 4
    The Glacial Heart by ddavidd . . . points 4

Congratulations to all three winners and to all those whose poems have been honorably mentioned.

So Many Things by Ben Pickard points 7
    I think that the sadness here is just perfectly expressed by the pauses inside the piece, add to that the wonderful tone, I felt this one very much. I think the subject matter is not really something new...but I really like the way this is formatted, it has it's own voice, one that is of sadness, but also of hope and strength. Great write.

----------

So Many Things by Ben Pickard points 10
    This poem speaks to me through a childhood innocence, but also a complete trust and admiration for a person. I know there has been a person in my past that I almost "idolized". He helped me through a very hard part of my life when I didn't think I could turn to anyone else, but I also became dependent on him. I didn't realize I could be strong on my own too. There was that budding doubt that I wouldn't be strong enough to stand on my own. It took me some time before I realized my world wasn't completely shattered with him gone. That was just my perception.
    I love the elements of sadness in this, of growth, maturity but also knowing some things in life just aren't meant to be, no matter how much we wish or dream for them to.
    There's that harsh reality that has brought us all down, but I hope you find the balance and reasons to "fly" in it. Moments of peace and relief in this world may not be beautiful, or shiny or happen all that often. But when we do get a break and our souls can rest and heal, I hope that is what we can remember.

The Mistress by Mihir Deshukh points 10
    What can I say about this write which has feelings and
    enticing images that takes the reader along with the writer.
    There was sadness and it made me as a reader feel for the
    writer’s loneliness but the ending brought it all into
    perspective. My…. I really liked the way this was
    penned and how sleep was labeled as a mistress!

----------

The Mistress by Mihir Deshmukh points 7
    There is story and intrigue in this, not to mention the rhymes and atmosphere so well penned. I enjoy your verses and describing sleep as your mistress, but you also being what she clings to. There's that dependency you have on her, and that restlessness when you wait for her to arrive. There's a history between you both.
    "no questions are ever asked,
    nothing is never said"
    - My only suggestion would be to read over these two lines. I feel like the tenses changed, either that was intended or it just threw me off. Also, "never" should be "ever" or you could write "words are never said", because of the double negative.
    A unique read and one that makes me want to personify sleep myself!

One smile by kasie points 4
    Kasie always fills me with some kind of emotion when I read her pieces and I know that's what poetry is about but this piece seems will resonate with many of us because just 'one smile' can make us feel less depressed and what makes them much more special is they're contagious so let's all smile at a stranger (don't be to smiley though or they'll think we've lost it) because it could make their day much better.

----------

One Smile by Kasie 7 points
    After 18 weeks of being a judge it's odd how ones perception of poetry and what one enjoys can alter. You read a more diverse and eclectic range of works than you would if you stick to your own preferences and taste.
    When I first picked up the gauntlet, I tended to favour the longer story telling poems and not the shorter.
    You come to realize that much can be expressed without the need to write a journal. I still favour the more encompassing works, but every now and then a little piece like this drops in front of my eyes.
    It is a lovely little poem with a simple but poignant message.
    A smile can make someone’s life a little brighter. A frown will only darken it.
    If everyone had the same attitude towards life what an amazing place it would be.
    The rhyming is fantastic and it all simply works.
    Thank you for the smile I gained on reading this.

A carefully guarded place by Brenda 10 points
    The tittle of this poem caught my attention first.
    I expected something about loved ones, siblings, family, children or even that place we all fine a little peace in.
    I was completely wrong.
    This poem is an extremely emotionally charged piece that does not release you.
    It grips and will not let go.
    Brenda is one of those souls that can seem to write about anything, she does it so so well too. Very often her work is lovely but in this she takes a darker tone and one gained of experience.
    Very brave and powerful writing.

Celebration by Milly Hayward points 10
    This was very beautifully written! I like the celebration atmosphere it has created from the starting stanza, and even until it ended I felt the vibe very much. Imagery here was great! The rhyming is commendable as well. A very inviting, uplifting piece! Great write.

The cycle of desensitization by Poet on the Piano points 10
    I absolutely loved the title of the piece and though I'll have to admit to Googling desensitization it fitted perfectly because I think we all have our own cycles of coping with the things we are afraid of and the poem did not disappoint... Everything seemed to fit perfectly like a glove, the words of the piece are woven together beautifully making for an astounding piece overall.

Missed call (Ben's thread) by Michael points 7
    Michael weaves his tale so well with rhyme and added humour which is one thing I like about Michael's work he always has a real sense of how to attract his reader and keep them throughout the piece too. Glad you lived to tell the tale so well through your poetry and the title is fantastic and could be take two ways until reading the content itself.

Word games by Em points 7
    Just three lines and in those lines there is a powerful
    image and a bag full of emotions which are struggling to
    come to terms! This indeed is another form of abuse which
    some live day in and day out through their lives; even if
    that person is not in that relationship anymore, its effect
    is lasting…a moving write.

I'll bring you Back, I Promise by Maple Tree 4 points
    This clearly speaks of a parents love for an estranged and perhaps lost child.
    I think it would be an easy thing to dwell upon and write about the negative aspects of such an experience but this poem does not follow that path. At least I think!
    It tells of hope, of not giving up and it shows a great deal of strength and resolve.
    I wouldn't normally quote from a poem but no this occasion I will.
    "My soul shall adorn you
    with a daisy chain around your heart,
    for you are golden,
    my child of the moon"
    Quite possibly some of the most beautiful words I have read.

Sleep by Risque points 4
    A very heart-warming piece, mourning even the short absence of a significant other. I like the sentiments here a lot, they are very raw, and that's what made it stand out for me. I love the 'scenes' all through-out the poem, it was expressed brilliantly, as well as the accompanying feelings. A lovely, unique write.

Snaccident by Kitty Cat Lady points 4
    I was intrigued by the title and had a feeling it was
    something to do with little kids and snacks! But this is
    something different a self talk and the war within which
    goes on when one is tempted just for another cookie! From
    start to finish enjoyed the read!

The Glacial Heart by ddavidd points 4
    The beginning of this piece makes me think of the power of what we leave unsaid, whether out of fear or not knowing how a person may react. Often, what is unsaid can be just as if not more important than the everyday topics we keep resurrecting.
    I love the power and wisdom within this poem. The emotions, the sorrows, the feelings we withdraw from and withhold, all that will someday be released and flow out. It is only a matter of time. We can only control so much of what we say and what we express until the truth must unfold. And who knows the impact that will have on this world, on our icy hearts. An event like that may just relieve some of the weight from the world.... it may warm hearts that have known the cold for too long.
    Such a provoking piece!

• ddavidd
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Thank you so much for my comment, thanks to Scott Cole and Liz (mossgirl19 ) for nominating me. thanks to Larry for hosing and his well known punctuality in posting the result even earlier than the site's clock. and thanks to the rest of the judges.

• Brenda

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Thank you judges for your wonderful comments on my piece. I greatly appreciate it. Nams, thank you my friend for nominating this. Thank you Larry, the Super Moderator for hosting this week. Lovely writes all around-

• mossgirl19

Congratulations our front-page winners! I am really happy that my nominated piece 'One Smile' won, such a beautiful message in that one. Congrats to our HMs as well. Well done guys, we had a very fabulous week of poetry!

Thanks judges and mods, especially to Larry for hosting!

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all winners & HM's.
    Thank you judges for your continued work and also for my comment and HM.
    Big thanks to Larry for hosting and posting results early!

Have a great week, everyone <3

• Meena Krish replied to Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page Winners and HM's!

Thank you judges for your time spent and thank you Larry
    for hosting and yes getting the results out early!

• Mark
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all front page winners and HMs. Thankyou to judges for their time and effort

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

Congratulations to Ben, Mihir and Kasie for their well deserved wins :-) And to all the HM's and nominations!
    Thanks to Em for nominating mine and for my HM and lovely judges comment ... I'm thrilled!
    As always, thanks to all those giving up their free time to make it all happen :-)

Kitty =^.^=

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Larry, any faster with the comments and you'll have people winning before they even posted the poem! Many thanks for hosting; I always enjoy reading your introductions.
    Congratulations everyone and many thanks to the judges for all their time and continued efforts.

Ben

• Kasie
    6 years ago

Congratulations everyone! Thank you Larry for hosting and thank you to the judges for your lovely comments, they made me smile!

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi all
    Congratulations to the front page winners this week, with wonderful poems and to all the HMs given. Thank you to the judges as always for taking time to comment and select winners and HMs including my HM this week :)

Thank you to Milly for nominating my poem

Much love
    Michael :)x

• Ya----Na
    6 years ago

Congratulations to everyone.
    Huge Thanks to judges and moderators for their valuable time and suggestions.
    Big thanks to our senior members for supporting and inspiring us...