Weekly Contest Results, 29 Jan 2018

• PnQ Mod Account
    6 years ago

Mark here, new week, new winners. Congrats to all those who picked up a win or a HM! Thank you again to the judges for your lovely work! Without further ado, here are your week's winners!

------------------------------------------------------------
    WINNERS:

“Earth & Moon” by silvershoes (30 pts)
    “A Piece of History” by Micheal (17 points)
    “Blessed Blue Eyes” by Mark (14 pts)

HMs:
    “the forever mountain” by Tobias Kinti(7 pts)
    “True art” by Dagmar Wilson (7 pts)
    “Transcendence” by Lyrical Madness (7 points)
    “I held it together until I got home” by Em (7 points)
    “Belongs to Nature” by Rohit Sapra (4 pts)
    “Into the Night” by Hope (4 pts)
    “The Knight and Me” by Meena Krish (4 points)
    “The Intoxication of Her Kiss” by Scott Cole (4 points)

“Earth & Moon” by silvershoes
    This is a poem with a theme of love and longing. Beautifully portrayed with superb metaphors
    which compliment the theme perfectly. I love the creative comparison of the moon and earth as
    potential lovers in this delicately sensual piece that tantalises the senses but without being vulgar.
    The poet has managed to weave strands of bitter sweet unrequited love through out resulting in a most pleasurable read. (10 pts)
    ----------------------------------------------
    An absolutely wonderful poem that narrates the author’s thoughts vividly. It’s dripping with metaphors, the prose is gentle and that helps evoke a sense of intimacy which ties in nicely with the theme of the poem. The fact that this piece is so short yet the author had no troubles creating a masterpiece is a testament to her skill. (10 pts)
    ------------------------------------------
    An extraordinary love story between two celestial beings. The beauty of love, its yearning and longing, and the pain of its non-reciprocity sum up to form one of the most beautiful love stories I have read here. There's beauty in romance, but there's much more in one-sided love (more than what the eye can see) and this love has been portrayed flawlessly in your poem. Beautiful. Congratulations. (10 points)

Blessed Blue Eyes by Mark
    Wow! The classic taste of this one is too much to not recognize. Mark has raised the bars with his beautiful words, wonderful mid and end rhymes here. And the title is amazing too! Extremely beautiful! (10 pts)
    This is a work of art; the rhyme scheme, the diction, the flow, everything is stitched together masterfully by Mark. A very endearing write. (4 pts)

“A Piece of History” by Micheal

I love how this piece took on the "shape" of a photograph as it talked about the image forming and again "shaped" itself after a puzzle and it's missing piece separately. Whether or not this was done intentionally it added a little extra dimension in my book and that is the kind of detail birthed from so much love for a piece that I feel really makes a poem stand out above the rest. The story was well told, the personality was amazingly conveyed, and every little section had its own rhythm in a way, yet the flow was never disrupted and the style managed to work wonderfully. Though I think the best part about this piece to me, was by far the ending. Not only did it tie up the moment the author was sharing, but it also led into the idea of the author either moving on or making more moments with the person in an entirely different way - depending on which of the dozen ways this can be interpreted each audience member wants to go with. (10 pts)
    The narrative style is ‘developed’ and that sets a great tone for this poem. It might not be intentional but I did notice the stanzas seem like puzzle pieces, and that’s a great touch to this poem. It’s a testament to how emotional & nostalgic we are, anything simple as a picture or a scent can transport us into the past and relive memories and emotions vividly. That said, I kind of got a ‘butterfly effect’ vibe from this, in the sense that I can see this being read aloud during the narration of that poem or worked into it, similar to how ‘interstellar’ had the ‘rage against the dying of the light’ poem. (7 pts)

"the forever mountain" by Tobias Kinti
    Tobias leads us on to a wonderful place and he vividly captures each and every detail of it. On reading the title I thought of a mountain with flowing waters underneath. I love the way he opened up the kind of mystical place, he starts the succeeding stanzas with 'and' like slowly showing us the people, what they do, the physical character of the surroundings. Some rich vocabulary in here, a real pleasure to read. It's beautiful. I just think that 'tree' in the last stanza does not need to be in a separate line, it kind of lost the rhythm. Amazing piece! (7 pts)

“True Art” by Dagmar Wilson
    The message here is one that many people have tried to express, however the personality in this one gave it distinction and beauty all on its own. For being a short piece, this spoke volumes and the more tamed word choice allowed for more people to relate or run wild with a similar idea even. There is a lot of possibility with this piece the word "art" could mean so many things to so many people - some that aren't even necessarily actually art, but that makes it all the more fun to read and experience. (7 pts)

“Transcendence” by Lyrical Madness

I like the idea of transcendence from misery. The thought of feeling broken and alone but having the potential escape route to transcend this hellish misery instantly caught my attention. Peace and reflection seems to be the answer. Reflecting that we are the universe and that as such we hold the universe inside is deep and inspires the reader to spiritual thought to think about what that really means. (7 pts)
    “I held it together until I got home” by Em
    Death is a devastating routine of life; the suffering worse than ever. But strength, endurance and holding ourselves put is the only thing that can be done, and although you speak pain in your words, you radiate strength in your poem. Tragedy strikes us all but staying strong through it is important. I take the message of staying strong from you, and I hope others do so too. (7 pts)

Belongs to Nature by Rohit Sapra
    This piece, to me, reads like a translation of a classic Indian poem. I appreciate the unique voice of this piece and the tranquil atmosphere that it creates. I think the writer has pulled his technique quite well with this one. A lovely 'one with nature' kind of write. (4 pts)

“Into the Night” by Hope

This piece almost looks as though there's a cloud and a steady stream of rain, which might not directly relate, but it definitely ties into the emotional scene of this piece. I think the absence of a period anywhere in the piece was an attempt at carrying on the flow, at least that was my initial ideal until I got to the end and could easily see someone going through this in their head and trailing off exactly as the author conveyed via ellipsis at the end. And since I am discussing the punctuation, I'd like to add that I did enjoy the use of the question marks and the way the questions tied sections into each other almost. This piece was interesting, and had many unique little charms to it that effortlessly invited the author into the scene of the weekly contest. (4 points)

“The Knight and Me” by Meena Krish

I read this piece several times and the more I read it the more depth I see in it. It raises so many questions in the nicest possible way. Who doesn't enjoy a tale of forbidden love, secrets, riddles and a tantalising hint of something romantic between the writer and the knight. It is well rhymed and gives just enough of a glimpse of forbidden love to get the little grey cells wanting to know more about this elusive knight and why love could never be. (4 pts)

“The Intoxication of Her Kiss” by Scott Cole

You have a gift to flow a story with beautiful rhyming. And the twist in the ending was something I could never have seen coming. After the glorious revelation of the subject of your affair, I re-read everything and couldn't stop laughing. You got me (and many others) well. Every description, every image so perfectly thought of, it was a sweet mockery. Loved being made a fool. Haha. Your last lines fit in to make a perfect Jigsaw story. Beautifully done. (4 pts)

• naaz
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

No idea what to say!
    I mean at one end, I see wins, there are beautiful poems on the front page along with the HM's, and on the other hand I see loss which can't be ignored too.
    I just hope those who left find their way back to home once again.
    Thanks to the judges, the mods, and actually congratulations to silvershoes (the mod) too because this week one of the front page win came from honorable mod.

Peace, power and poetry to all!

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi All :)

Congratulations to all this weeks winners including HMs. Thank you to all the judges again who constantly provide the wonderful comments on each poem and your time taken to work through all nominations, including mine. Brilliant job guys :)
    Thank you to Scott for my winning nomination

Much love
    Michael :)xx

• Em
    6 years ago

Congrats ladies and gentlemen.

Much humbled for my nomination and HM it goes without saying at this difficult time

X

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Congrats to the winners & HMs!
    Jane, you grace us with a rare poem & it rightfully belongs on the front page.

Thanks judges & thanks Mark for hosting.

• silvershoes
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Wow, thanks to everyone involved with getting me to the front page! I appreciate the comments, votes, whoever thought to nominate my poem, and the judges who deemed it worthy. The "Your Welcome" thread is what gave me a needed push to write a poem and post it -- thank you for that as well. This is such a supportive community!

Congratulations to the other winners, who I am honored to share the front page with for a week.

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

Ah, HUGE congrats to Jane, Michael, Mark and all the HM's. Incredible work!

Thank you also to Mark for hosting.

• Meena Krish replied to Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

Congrats to the front page Winners and those who received a HM.

Thank you judges for your time and thank you for the HM.
    Thank you also to the one who nominated my poem...appreciate it.
    and thanks to Mark for hosting this week.

• Larry Chamberlin replied to naaz
    6 years ago

Naaz/Black Hole: Just a minor correction: the Mark whose "Blue Eyes" won this week is not the Moderator Mark. The one is from Australia and the other from Canada.

• naaz replied to Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Thank you, sir.

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Congratulations to our winners and HMs!

Thank you judges, mods and Mark for hosting!