Religion......is it healthy?

• Ben
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

So, at work the above question came up and I was wondering what PnQ thought.....this is not an excuse to be crappy to each other more of a probing tool to see what you think ......Discuss.

:)

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

I would’ve answered a resounding no a few years ago. Religion seems to be at the root of a lot of evil, be it war, conflict, sexism, racism, etc. However, I know individuals whose religion gives them a sense of purpose and direction. It can shape itself as a system of support. Then again, I know individuals who use religion to justify cruelty... generally, I think people who find joy and meaning in religion deserve to have that for themselves, though if religion were never created, maybe they wouldn’t be able to use it as a crutch? I hate to call it a crutch. All I know now is that my preconceived notions were too inflexible and callous and I want to be open-minded.

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

There is no question about religion that can be answered in any conclusive manner. Like most social organizations there is good and bad about each religion as well as the practitioners of each.

"If god did not exist it would be necessary to invent him." [Épître à l'Auteur du Livre des Trois Imposteurs (10 November 1770) Voltaire]

• Liz
    6 years ago

I agree with Jane. I think it all depends on the person/people. Some people find piece through religion, regardless of which one it is. It either brings out the good in people or the bad.

My younger sister is currently going through a rough pregnancy with a grim prognosis and, while I have very different beliefs than my family, I think her faith has kept her somewhat peaceful and hopeful and more positive. In a way, I'm thankful for that.

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

Good thing to think about, and I think each person has their own experience with faith and how they view religion.

Years ago, I believed and practiced quite a lot of hateful rhetoric under the guise of religion. I thought I was just being a "good disciple". Honestly. That's comical to me now because I was so out of line. I literally would start conversations with random strangers and criticize their actions. I thought if I didn't understand it, then I had to be right and they had to be misguided or in need of prayer. I scolded people for their defense of same-sex marriage (that was my internalized homophobia) and I judged others for using birth control, for having abortions, etc. Never for a second did I step out of my bubble and think about how other people felt, others who didn't believe like I did. It was very humbling and painful once I hit that low point and realized how many people felt condemned, ashamed and hurt by my constant crusade for "religious liberty". I never want to go back to that person who hid behind the name of religion without knowing the hearts of other people.

I think if religion is important and faith brings one healing and strength, then it is a beautiful thing. My mom's whole life lights up when she is close to God and it gives her purpose in her day-to-day activities. In the past, I can say my faith probably helped keep me alive. I needed it back then. I'm happy with where I am now and don't rely on religion much anymore. I have friends who hold fast to their faith yet love and accept me even though they know I'm no longer practicing. But when people confuse and blur the lines, weaponizing religion for their own personal gain, then it is dangerous and needs to be called out. Think of all the endless debates on whether businesses have the right to discriminate or not, based on that owner's religion. Think of all the things you could slyly defend on grounds of religious liberty.

I feel extremely blessed that others helped teach and educate me on my own bigotry. That they accepted me when I realized my mistakes, and that they forgave me. I currently don't "belong" to a denomination or associate myself with one, and I am beyond happy about that decision. I don't know if I believe in God, I don't even know if I'm monotheistic. I would call myself more spiritual over religious.

Final thoughts: the moment your religion requires you to deny an individual or group their basic human rights, is the moment you need to evaluate the ethics of your religion.

• Hellon replied to Ben
    6 years ago

It has no vitamins, no calcium or iron content, no calories nor protein. It doesn't have any carbs, really it doesn't seem to have any nutritional value that I know of so...in answer to your question...is it healthy? I'd have to say no.

• Abed replied to Hellon
    6 years ago

Lol

• Jamie
    6 years ago

No. It's the root of all evil and should be abolished.

• Poet on the Piano replied to Jamie
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Hmm, I would happen to disagree. People discriminate, kill and defend awful barbaric acts in the NAME of religion, but that doesn't mean the religion itself supports that. Yes, if your religion and the doctrines of it specifically encourage that sort of behavior, then by all means, abandon it. Often times, it is the interpretation and one's own agenda that gets in the way. That also plays into whether a person can ever fully affiliate with a certain religion if they only pick and choose. For example, I do not call myself a participating Catholic anymore because I reject their teachings on LGBTQ+ people and feel it advocates for subtle discrimination. I'm not a true Catholic and I'm proud of that. I wouldn't and couldn't call myself a Catholic without being hypocritical, because I do not support or stand with many of their teachings.

Religion and why it exists is multi-faceted. To many, religion makes sense. Not in a common sense way but as a necessary way to survive. Religion requires faith. Having something to hope and long for and therefore encourage a person to live their best life. It's if it turns into a "cult-like" idea or following, that without a particular religion, a person is a degenerate or somehow misguided, that's when it causes trouble. IMO It's disrespectful and completely impossible to claim religion as the "root of all evil" when many religions/denominations do not have a history of violence. (And this is coming from someone who is right now spiritual or agnostic, not even sure what to call herself).

If a person is happy and is not actively or inactively participating in any bigoted attitudes, ideas or perspectives, then leave them be. If they are not pushing themselves on you, let them be in peace. Whatever brings each person individual meaning and purpose. That is not to say we are not allowed to criticize any teachings or fundamental beliefs of a specific religion or denomination that violate others' rights or dignity.

Such as with the Catholic Church's teaching on trans people. Pope Francis can welcome and use inclusive tones all he wants, but the Catechism still teaches that it goes against the will of God, Pope Francis even saying that gender ideology is an "annihilation against the image of God". You can say the Church is accommodating and changing its way, but the teachings of the Church won't change. The Catechism, the foundation and "rulebook", isn't going to suddenly disappear or be edited.

It's more about the core beliefs and what the religion traces back to, if anything. If you don't know the history of your religion or what it's evolving into, yet blindly participate in it, you don't know what kind of harm you're doing unto others, especially marginalized communities or those who don't have a voice.

• Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

Through the history of man there have always been people who have used religion as a means to control the populace often using violence and fear to keep control and gain power and riches. Through many religions have existed for generations the teachings are only as good or bad as the interpretation put on them by man and man is flawed. If you put one hundred people in a room and let them read the many literatures of the different religions they will all have different opinions on which is the right belief and so it is in the real world.

There are many similarities within the different religious groups yet they all seem to insist that their way is the only way. Like a group of children arguing. Each describing an orange for the first time but in a different way all convinced that the others are wrong.

Religion can be good when it supports its followers and teaches good life messages like kindness and tolerance and gives meaning to life and life after death. However it still continues to be a tool for some minorities to commit crimes against others in the guise that they will be forgiven under their interpretation of their beliefs. It is not the religions themselves that are necessarily bad but the interpretation of what their teachings mean to people. With every religion you will have those who follow the religious teachings one way and others that take a more liberal view.

Where a religion forces people to act against their conscience or to bring wealth and power to an establishment, to teach violent acts against others just because they are different or think differently isn’t religion it’s a cloak to hide the true evil intent behind actions.

• Em (marmite)
    6 years ago

Great discussion Ben.

If you'd have asked me a few years I would too have said no religion isn't healthy as it causes so much sh** or atleast that's what most terrorist try and put it down to (maybe not a good example but you get my meaning or atleast I hope so)
    But nowadays I'd say that yes in some instances religion is healthy and is usually no cause for concern (relating to terrorism etc) and I have recently become a little more faithful as some usually silly prayers of mine have been answered one way or another some may say it's coincidental but personally I believe differently and it's a nice thought to think someone up there is looking after me in fact all of us... Which is weird coming from someone who used to say there was no such thing.

All the best