Your Feelings Are 100% Valid.

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

A friend recently brought this up, where she felt like people were just giving empty words, and that a majority of the time, she felt like people would either misunderstand or underestimate what she was going through. So while she was given support and love, it felt like something done out of necessity and to make people feel like they helped out a friend. If you have friends or family who brush over what you're feeling and don't acknowledge it, it can lead to isolation and feeling like you can't ever be honest, worrying that sharing what your emotions might bring people around you down.

So I wanted to make this post to say what you're going through is valid and real. I know people mean well when they say "it gets better" or "you'll get through this", but I also know it can seem like you're not allowed to express the depth of what you're feeling.

No one can be positive all the time. We shouldn't have to fake what is our reality.

• Sunshine
    6 years ago

Indeed, thoughtful post MaryAnne.. I know many people do not even know how to show compassion, words fail them. But that should not hold anyone back from expressing how they feel, no matter what are the circumstances.

• Jamie
    6 years ago

I truly believe the worst thing you can say to someone who is suicidal/depressed is, it gets better. I absolutely find that phrase disgusting. but that's just from my experience.