Weekly Contest Results 6/4/18

• silvershoes
    5 years ago

We have one clear winner this week, which is Michael's poem, "Grandmother stories." A 3-way tie was broken automatically by the site between Mark, Tasha, and William Mae for their respective poems, "Summer Seas," "Hear Us Roar!," and "Who Mourns the Rose." Well done to all. Thank you to our judges and sub judges.

-Jane

-----------------------------------------------
    VOTING RESULTS:

Grandmother stories by Michael: 10 + 10 = 20

Summer Seas by Mark: 10 + 7 = 17

Hear Us Roar! by Tasha: 10 + 7 = 17

Who Mourns the Rose by William Mae: 10 + 7 = 17

It Didn’t Hurt Much by Kitty Cat Lady: 7 + 4 = 11

A Poet’s Winter by RustySoul: 4 + 4 = 8

Disconnected by Phoenix: 7

Cocoon by mistake: 4

One. Drop. Could. Kill by Em (marmite): 4

COMMENTS FOR WINNERS:

Grandmother stories
    by Michael
    10 + 10 = 20

"I am sure that I am not alone when I say, I miss my Grandmother. I don’t know if they all told stories like mine did, or like this? Did they, because they were brought up in time before TV was commonplace and so, telling stories was the norm? I think so. 

I recall my Grandmother telling stories that had been in the family for 50 years or more. Here, this writer shares a story or two with us and a detailed description of a photograph worn by time. I could almost taste the steam engine smoke and hear the chuff, chuff of the train as it pulled out of Victoria station. A lovely image brought to life, with its real emotions of the day – the fear, the heartache and courage. 

This poem will receive my points for its vivid imagery, and for how it captures the precious dialogue of his Grandparents. Thank you for sharing this with us. 

I award, this week, a nostalgic: 10 points." (10)

"Thank you, because of you, I inhaled high expectations of hope this week. One promise you should make to your readers, your followers, you will keep on writing such beautiful poems again and again." (10)

--

Summer Seas
    by Mark
    10 + 7 = 17

"For me, awarding this ten points was an easy choice this week. It is often the case that rhyming poetry simply covers bad content. The problem with that method comes when the rhyming is bad too! However, what if you can rhyme a poem effortlessly and never once sacrifice the content and imagery? Surely, then, you have the 'complete' poem. Mark is one of the few on site who achieves that on a regular basis and has the talent to write beautiful rhymers like this or wonderful free verse just as (seemingly) easily. A lovely piece." (10)

"The imagery in this poem is just phenomenal and it was only enhanced by Mark's skillful use of diction. The abab rhyme scheme really worked here and, like the high seas depicted, flowed from beginning to end." (7)

--

Hear Us Roar!
    by Tasha
    10 + 7 = 17

"I like the confidant voice and positive tone of being a woman. A powerful write and an uplifting message for women!” (10)

“This poem doesn't need any rhyme to be perfect. This poem is all about the women power and they are God's perfect creation. They can rhyme any situation of their life and write a good poem with fewer words." (7)

COMMENTS FOR HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Who Mourns the Rose
    by William Mae
    10 + 7 = 17

"There is a beautiful extended metaphor throughout this piece. I paused to consider both the literal and figurative meanings to this poem. On the one hand I have thrown away countless wilted roses throughout the years without second thought. I spared more emotion when my phone died than when the delicate carnation wilted slowly throughout the week. 

Is it more or less tragic that the roses died prematurely solely because they were chosen for their beauty only to be discarded when they were no longer beautiful?

As for the figurative meaning... I feel this poem speaks to our taking for granted the beautiful things in life and not fully appreciating them when they are gone.

This poem was deep and thoughtful with a heartfelt message behind it. Well done Will." (10)

"I like the visuals in this write along with the message. A rose is looked from a different view. Nice read." (7)

--

It Didn’t Hurt Much
    by Kitty Cat Lady
    7 + 4 = 11

"There is something powerful and almost, palpable about this poem. Was it the refrain? Was it the 3 tight unrhymed quatrains? Was it the emotional disclosure? Or, just the laid bare, honesty? 

In short, all the previous apply. I found this poem sad, like when I discover, by delving deep into my bag of delicious humbugs, that I did in fact, eat the last one yesterday. 

Well done, an excellent write that I will read again and again. 

For this reason, I award, this poem, a blue-tinged: 7 points." (7)

"Surely, if thorns are to be removed then pain must be the balance paid for the relief of them. We get nothing for free in this life, after all. For every up, there is a down and for every happiness, there is a sadness. What, then, when we expel an affliction without any seeming consequence? Well, it probably feels like an unmitigated relief, for a while at the least. But once those metaphorical thorns are removed, a little time has past, and those scars still aren't healing properly, then all of that relief is tempered by something more sinister: what if that balance is still demanded? And how (and when) will you actually have to pay it? Surely, then, debts are better squared quickly…" (4)

--

A Poet’s Winter
    by RustySoul
    4 + 4 = 8

"I love how Mohammed describes writer's block as seasonal. I'm sure everyone reading this can relate to the frustration they feel as a writer when the "leaves wilt," but he leaves us with a day of hope with the reminder that sprung is right around the corner." (4)

"I am waiting for the spring too. This poem shall never face the winds of criticism and your words never wither or fall." (4)

--

Disconnected
    by Phoenix

"Trying to hold yourself together for the sake of those around you that need supporting is not a new concept, but that is why I like this piece so much. There probably isn't a one of us on this site that cannot relate to that scenario to a greater or lesser degree which, in turn, means most of us here relate to this poem. 
    I suppose the irony of a situation like the one portrayed here is that - as difficult as it is support others when you yourself need supporting - it is probably that which holds you together in the end. Superficially, it seems like an extra burden - the straw that breaks the camel's back - but it is the keeping busy and the looking after of others that is the distraction someone in this position needs and, ultimately, their salvation, perhaps." (7) 

--

Cocoon
    by mistake

"Some poetry works well with complicated similes, intricate twists and some subtle turns. This poem, however, in 6 verses, delivers the well-known journey of the butterfly, from a cocoon. This in itself is not unique. The reason I will award my points is, its format. Upon reading this for the first time, many, including myself, would/ will miss this. 

The first 5 verses follow a similar rhyme scheme until the last one, when to symbolise the freedom from the cocoon, the rhyming last line breaks free, ‘emerges’ just like butterfly.

A simple idea, translated into a well thought out poem. Consequently, I will flutter your way, 4 points." (4)

--

One. Drop. Could. Kill
    by Em (marmite)

"The feelings in this poem lie between fire and water, passion and full with a lingering sadness. A read I'm sure all will share." (4)

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Outstanding writes yet once again. Thank you judges for your time and interesting comments. Thank you Jane for hosting.

• Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

Congratulations to the winners and those with an HM - I just love those blue letters. Thanks, Jane for hosting and for the judges for their time.

• Kitty Cat Lady
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all the wonderful winners, HMs and nominees. Thanks to the judges for my HM and for their comments, I'm really chuffed! Thanks also to Ben and Milly for their nomination. :-) x
    =^.^=

• Mahal Ko Kuya Ko
    5 years ago

Congratulations to the Winners and HM's. Thank you, Judges and Jane for hosting!!! (:

• Ben
    5 years ago

ugh...Killer poems this week omg!!! Congrats winners and HM's alike!

• Em (marmite)
    5 years ago

Thanks Jane for posting, to all judges for your time and comments.
    Congratulations to front pagers and HMs and thank you personally to the judge who voted for my piece much appreciated

• Michael
    5 years ago

Hi All :)

thank you Jane for hosting this week.

Thank you so much to the judges for their time and all efforts each week, and to the two who voted on my poem, and lovely comments. Well done to the other poets for their winning pieces.

Also thank you to Mr Darcy for nominating
    Much love
    Michael :)x

• Mark
    5 years ago

Thank you judges for your votes and Michael for nominating :)

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Wonderful poems again this week. Congratulations all round!

• Meena Krish
    5 years ago

Congrats to the Winners & HM's.

Thank you judges and thank you for
    hosting Jane.

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Nice work, judges, thanks!
    Thanks to Jane for hosting.

Congratulations to the winners & HMs.

• Phoenix ¥
    5 years ago

Hi

Thanks so much for my first HM!! Had to search a bit to find what it means and to find this page but thanks to everyone involved in the process for their time and interest.

Phoenix ¥ xx