Weekly Contest Winners - July 16, 2018!

• PnQ Mod Account
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Congrats to all! A big thank you to the judges for taking the time to read and assess so many nominated poems, and to our poets for their exceptional work and powerful poems! Have a wonderful week everyone :)

(And thank you to the two judges for nominating my piece and leaving your thoughts)

~MaryAnne

WINNERS:

“Life As Your Teardrop”
    by: Mortal Utopia 7 + 4 + 4 = 15 points

“Raven & Rose (Portland)”
    by: FTS Miles = 10 points

“#youtoo”
    by: IdTakeABulletForYou = 10 points

COMMENTS:

“Life As Your Teardrop” by: Mortal Utopia

“This poems imagery is really interesting. From reading it a few times I am pondering, 'who said?'
    Love the questions, the urgency and the emotion. Looking deeper points to the prospect of wasting our lives worried too much about what others think. (this is what I take from this) A clever write with many layers.” (7)

- - - - - - - - -

“Beautiful!! I liked how the poem was almost like it were being spoken to the individual and delving into this poem was really interesting! Thank you so much for coming up with such a creative piece.” (4)

- - - - - - - --

“Feelings of being excused or ignored within another person’s heart is what I'm feeling with this beautiful and yet sorrowful poem. I'm really admiring the metaphor of the writer being a teardrop, that was creative, unique and a delight to read. Just wonderful!!” (4)

“Raven & Rose (Portland)” by: FTS Miles

“Visual magic within this poem-
    Each line is filled with wording that takes you to the Inn/pub that the author is writing of and to me it sounds wonderful and a comfy place I would love to visit. I can see the raven mixing with light and shadow within the corner high beams, and using the word haunt gives it a dark feeling and yet comforting. with the word usage used it takes my thoughts beyond, to smelling of dark wines and incense perhaps. I really enjoy a poem that takes my visual insight above and beyond!
    Stunning visuals, captivating lines from start to finish!” (10)

“#youtoo” by: IdTakeABulletForYou

“I thought this poem was just stunning, the flow of the poem worked really well and I found the rhyming and I love the presentation of the relationship all together. This was really written by a poet of all poets and I look forward to reading more.” (10)

HM’s:

“For my Girl” by: Tanya Southey = 10 points

“Glencoe (Clachaig Inn)” by: FTS miles = 10 points

“Under Cover” by: Maple Tree = 10 points

“in god you blindly trust.” by: Poet on the Piano 4 + 4 = 8 points

“For a desirable world” by Satish Verma = 7 points

“Friendship” by: CJ Maleney = 7 points

“It Needs To End” by: CJ Maleney = 7 points

“Natures old master” by: Michael = 7 points

“Compromise (song)” by: Maher = 4 points

COMMENTS:

“For my Girl” by: Tanya Southey

“Being a parent, we all want to protect our children from, perhaps, the mistakes we made. Here Tanya is giving such advice to, what I presume is, her daughter. Not only did I like the way this was written, but also the deep sincere sentiment of it. How many times have we been deceived by a ‘veneer of brilliance’, believing all that is said and/or shown? I know I have been taken in by people and things that masquerade as more than they are. The world is cruel that way and many innocent people get hurt. It is sad that we only learn these lessons through experience. Or do we? Maybe this poem will resonate with, not just this ‘girl’ but with others too.

The overall message I took from this is this: Work hard to find the real worth in everything – make sure the deal is not too good to be true – saying no, is empowering, allowing one more time. The ending says it all for me and is why, this poem is a winner:

Dig your tunnel in the dirt
    scrape the earth that you know
    will lead you to something
    far more breath-taking
    get the dirt of you under your nails
    as you create the thing
    that all of us will stand and admire
    and say yes to.” (10)

“Glencoe (Clachaig Inn)” by: FTS miles

“There was a lot of poems nominated last week, 37 to be precise. After reading all of them, this was the one I came back to and awarded 10 points. I just love how it sings. There is a real professional rhythmic feel to this poem. I love the story telling as well. It shouts pride and is a great advert for Scotland. Just brilliant.” (10)

“Under Cover” by: Maple Tree

“Andrea, you show us strength each and every day, and help us gain strength in our own selves by showcasing yourself as the guide we look up to. I have no more words to say than thank you very much and I salute you for it all.” (10)

“in god you blindly trust.” by: Poet on the Piano

“A well written piece that should make one think. The very beginning got me thinking on how misplaced certain people can become; they know exactly how to link something very different to something exceptionally different in the wrong way, and to top it off get entire societies running behind their flawed ideology. And you rightfully end it, because sometimes, no matter how hard you try, certain people always find ways to support their own philosophies and there is no convincing them. I really liked this piece on how much more can be dwelled into with certain simple words you have framed (but still I wonder, can certain ideologies change even with simple words?)” (4)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

“I was equally tied with 3 poems for my 4 point pick. Mr Darcy's 'curious incident' and 'Bodies' by Rosy cheeks and Irony. I plumped for this because it is not just a brave write, but a relevant write. I often question the relevance of religion. Usually shot down by those standing on soapboxes. It is a difficult subject to tackle and you will upset somebody. But I think POP raises some great points and doesn't hold back. Good job” (4)

“For a desirable world” by: Satish Verma

“It was very hard to choose between first and second place because this piece was so stunning, the imagery associated with death was touching yet heart breaking at the same time, very well done.” (7)

“Friendship” by: CJ Maleney

“I knew this poem was going to receive my vote this week. I like a poem that inspires others. This one is about the power of true friendship. It is easy to comfort ourselves by believing we have many friends – but, do we really? How many would drop everything to be that person who is needed most? I have plenty of so called ‘friends’, but maybe, one or two I could count on.

C.J. has written this with good form and rhyme – this could be published as a card or wall mounted, it is that good!” (7)

“It Needs To End” by: CJ Maleney

“This is a very powerful piece, and it touches on various topics in my mind as well as the darkness it brings. In my mind while reading this poem, I see a precious person fighting a darkness within, perhaps an addiction/ skeleton in the closet that are trying to fight or overcome. To be able to face such darkness is truly a challenge in life, this poem touches that power and strength in a positive and loving way. Excellent!” (7)

“Natures old master” by: Michael

“Am I reading a poem or looking at Afremov's painting! This is exceptional. I very well remember the last time I saw a perfect painting in my mind through a poem - it was about four years ago - and I have treasured it all this while, but you have surpassed that imagery I once witnessed. This is very beautiful. Though I wonder, is this old master 'God'?” (7)

“Compromise (song)” by: Maher

“I envy songwriters, I do! To be able to not only write a poem that reads well, but also lends itself to a song.
    Maher sings of a ‘clerk in black’ a grim reaper coming to take his ‘sunshine’ away. It’s true, death ‘cut’s us short’ leaving those left behind, ‘in this empty place,’ bereft. Is it not also true, that we would ask the clerk to take us instead, leaving our loved ones behind with our lasting image.

I found this song heart wrenching, yet, with a love that is unashamedly selfless.” (4)

• Maple Tree
    5 years ago

The judge just made me cry. (In a good way)
    thank you all for your support.

Congratulations to the winners and all the lovely hms, just beautiful!

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Awesome writing all around!

• Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

Well done one and all.

• silvershoes
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all involved! Wow, what a week for tie breaks. Thank you to our judges! You guys are rock stars.

• Kitty Cat Lady
    5 years ago

Congrats to all winners, HMs and nominees. A great week! :-)

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

It must have been hard to choose among this week's lovely entries. Well done, judges.
    Congrats to the winners and HMs and thanks to MA for hosting.

• Meena Krish replied to Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Congrats Winners and HMs
    thanks for hosting MA and thank you judges!

• Michael

Hi all :)
    Thanks to MA for hosting this weeks competition.
    Congratulations to all front page poets, and HMs awarded. Thanks to the judges for their time each and every week,
    and the judge for voting and commenting on my poem (although, no I wasn't speaking of god)

Much love
    M:)x

• naaz
    5 years ago

Congratulations to our front page winners, the HM's and the nominated ones.

Thanks to judges and moderators for all their support and love towards all of us.

Thanks to maryanne for hosting the contest this week.

Let's cheer up together for MU, I WTABFU and fts miles on their perfect win.

Love you all!

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Congrats & thanks to each and everyone for contributing to make weekly contest the most amazing part of pnq.

Sg

• CJ Maleney

Congrats to all winners and all HM's and everyone nominated. The diversity of nominated poems is growing and I really like this aspect of the site.

Massive respect to all Mods and judges and for your efforts.

Got to say a massive thank you to the two judges who voted on my two entries. Having one poem in the fray is awesome but two is rather humbling. Thank you so much for your votes and your words.

With regard "friendship" this particular judge gauged my mood exactly and wrote some lovely insightful things.

"It needs to end" was gauged and understood completely by this particular judge, in essence they nailed that coffin.

Finally gotta say a massive thank you to Our Em and Mad Cat Lady for nominating me in the first place. I considered neither poem worthy of such. So thank you both.

God this is long.

Craig out.........

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

I must say, Mortal Utopia has hit a real purple patch in terms of writing at the moment - another fully deserved front page win. Well done the other two and to all the hms highlighted this week.

All the best