Poetry style

• Ash
    15 years ago

I'm just curious to know why is it that the only style that goes around in poetry is rhyme schemes? I mean, what happened to free verse poetry or any other styles? Is it only rhyme schemes that are now important?

Would like to hear your comments on this?

• Ash
    15 years ago

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Yes, I suppose that it is much easier to read and understand poems that rhyme but it seems that there is more of a dying trend with free verse poetry - which I believe is really more powerful than rhyming ones.

• Ash
    15 years ago

Yes, you probably are right - but I was refering more to this site than any other poetry sites...

• Ash
    15 years ago

Lol, yes, I haven't really traversed this site much. If you haven't really noticed that I've only been on this site for less than a month so please do excuse my ignorance.

Anyways nice to hear your comments on this topic.
    Thanx!

• Choose xX Alex Xx Life
    15 years ago

This may seem kind of strange but usually I speak non rhythmic poetry whilst the ones that do rhyme get written down. In my view poetry that doesn't rhyme may often be dissmissed by ourselves as verbal jargon therefore we can only associate it with ourselves believing it not may not be what people want to hear. It's a shame really because some of the worlds best poetry does not rhyme.

Alex xx

• Ash
    15 years ago

Interesting cos as far as I've seen most of the people her down vote non-rhyming poetry which I feel is quite unfair since all poetry should be regarded with equal feelings.

• Ash
    15 years ago

I'm sure that you know more than me regarding the matters of poetry. And thank you for sharing.

• Blueleo
    15 years ago

I love rhyming not because I think all poems should rhyme. Some of my poems don't rhyme. Sometimes the message needs to come out in a different way. I feel that rhyming has a certain key to the heart. It's a drug to the mind too. It's a nice feeling. I find it a lot more fun to write and sometimes even talk in rhyme. It's a bit soothing. I also love poems that don't rhyme, but they don't leave that sweet taste in my mouth after like a rhyme would. I think it's even easier to write a good poem with rhyme. The reason for that is you don't just dump your thoughts, but you have to take the time to find the right words and that gives you the chance to go over your line a few times and think of how exactly you wanted to come out.

• Lori
    15 years ago

Hmm I write rhyme schemes because personally I find them easier to express my feeling with....but thats just me. And I really enjoy reading ones with rhyme scheme..those are prolly my favorite ones.. i'm always open to other kinds of course:)

• Grant Gilbert AKA Slash
    15 years ago

I dont think one should limit yourself to any one style of writing i write in free verse and rhyme and very structured free verse like Haiku and others as well ,and sometimes combine different styles

• Invited
    15 years ago

No because rhyming poetry is in old times and non-rhyming poetry is a modern style poetry. so i think more people are interested in non-rhyming poetry.