Life of a PnQ Poet - Sylvia

• sibyllene
    13 years ago

Well, a new week has rolled around, along with a new year, and that means it's time for 2011's first PnQ poet spotlight!

Meet Sylvia! She's a classic lady with whole bushel of poems, seen here:

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/author.html?id=371678

Here is her most recent poem, entitled "Sunset."

Sunset

Naked, bare, a mere tree stands waiting
    as the sun sets, bringing a moonless night,
    brimming with darkness of understanding
    and the oceans cry.
    Time passes as night blooms and
    inside the meaning of ourselves spirits rejoice,
    for tomorrow her lips will wake the sleeping city,
    and young lovers will breathe the child of desire.
    In the valley of disorder, shadows will sing,
    apathy will permeate minds void of thoughts,
    thoughts that should bring joy for another
    day and another sunset.

Copyright © 2010 Sylvia All Rights Reserved

Written for PR Club Image Contest

http://esoteric-art.co.uk/scenes.html
    Image Used Sunset at Ennerdale copyright Jade Ashcroft 2006

-----

Feel free to ask her any questions, and she will feel free to answer those she chooses. Thanks, Sylvia!

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

And my answers are:

What is your favorite topic to write about?

I don't really have one topic that I favor over all others and none are easy for me.

What is your favorite topic to read?

Once again, in poetry no particular favorite topic to read. I read all poets, all their work regardless of the topic. In books, mysteries are my favorite.

Do you like critiques on your poetry?

I don't mind critiques as long as I feel the person is giving the critique honestly and for instructional purposes.

Who is your favorite football team? Did they make it in re playoffs? (had to ask a football question of course!)

Of course I knew that, lol. I guess I would have to say the Colts and it looks like they made the playoffs in spite of themselves. lol Play the Jets in a wild card spot I think.

Who are your favorite poets, both PnQ and famous?

PnQ Poets - Rob, Karla, Randy (Night Flyer) , Britt, TJ Becker, James, Willow
    EDIT: Cindy, when she writes (smiles)

Famous Poets - Sylvia Plath, Christina Rossetti, Emily Dickinson, The Bronte Sisters (Charlotte, Emily, Anne), Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Robert Frost, Khalil Gibran, Pablo Neruda

What got you started in writing?

I was going through some very personal issues in my life in 2006 and a very good friend who writes suggested that maybe it would help me to write poetry about my emotions, feelings and those issues. Plus I had always had a secret desire to write and here I am. lol I have experience writing technical computer software documentation and curriculum for teaching software so I used that background as well.

Do you enjoy contests?

NO!! lol My reason is that typically there is a set topic to write about and I don't do well when that is the case.

• Cindy
    13 years ago

Who or what has been your biggest insperation in your writing?

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

Who or what has been your biggest insperation in your writing?

Cindy, I would have to say that life in general and one very special friend inspires me.

• End Of Eternity
    13 years ago

What kind of music do you like?
    Do you think music also inspires you for writing?

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

Nitin

What kind of music do you like?

Being the country girl that I am, Country Music is my favorite. I have to say I like most other music genres except for Classical, Heavy Metal, Hip Hop and Rap.

Do you think music also inspires you for writing?

Yes it does. At times I will hear a word or phrase in a song that inspires me to write a poem.

• Cindy
    13 years ago

Sylvia......I love the country too...LOl....I know what Nitin really wanted to ask you....was it about line dancing? hahahahaha

So you have written some of your poetry while listening to music?

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

LOL, I have been known to take part in line dancing and another shameful secret, lol, pole dancing of sorts. I had a few to many drinks one night in my youth, visited firemen friends, decided I could descend from the second floor like they did and so jumped a two feet gap around the pole and slid down to the first floor. LOL

To be honest, I very rarely have the radio on or music playing unless I am driving. TV on yes, but no music.

• Sunshine
    13 years ago

SYLVIA :)

if my question was asked before ignore it XD.
    ----------------------------------------------

1) How are you ?

2)Are you a tempered person ?

3)What is the dearest poem to your heart by Cindy ?

>by you?

>by a famous poet ?

4)Did any of my poems leave a strong impression over you ?

5)Do you know that you have a very unique syle :)

6)Oh please tell me how did you write Sunset ? I want the recipe :P it was fantastic !

7) what was your dream when you young :)

8) what's your real name ? (if you mind/skip it)

9)give me your top 7 wishes

10)Define happiness.Then tell me if you are happy

11) mmm do you know who?

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

1) How are you?
    I am good and getting better. lol

2)Are you a tempered person ?
    Most of the time I am an even tempered person but I have my moments like the rest do. Then I have a motto I try to live by, sleep on it before you respond. Works most times for me.

Light of Freedom

>by you?
    The Old Lady
    EDIT: 2 favs actually the other is the Forever Garden

>by a famous poet ?
    Lady Lazarus by Sylvia Plath
    Remember by Christina Rossetti
    Uphill by Christina Rossetti

4)Did any of my poems leave a strong impression over you ?
    Most of your poems leave me with the impression of sadness and strife at some point in your life. Your poem, Bring me The Sunset In a Cup and not because it won made a strong impression.

5)Do you know that you have a very unique syle :)
    No I didn't. lol

6)Oh please tell me how did you write Sunset ? I want the recipe :P it was fantastic !
    Thank you. After studying the image I selected to use, I came up with the first line, not sure how I managed that and then wrote a bunch more lines, rearranged them, added words, took words out, labored over it for days. lol Writing doesn't come easy with me since I tend to be a perfectionist I think and the words just never seem right.

7) what was your dream when you young :)
    I had two dreams actually one was to be a nurse, the other was to get married, have a little white cottage with a picket fence and lots of children. Neither came true, no regrets though. (I did get married and have one child)

8) what's your real name ? (if you mind/skip it)
    Sylvia Ann Feeley (Maiden Name was Reynolds)

9)give me your top 7 wishes

World hunger would be eradicated
    No one would be homeless
    There would be no need for animal shelters
    People would learn to get along with each other
    Racism would be eradicated
    My family and friends will have long and prosperous lives
    That my best friend is not dead

10)Define happiness. Then tell me if you are happy
    Happiness to me is peace in my soul and yes I am happy.

11) mmm do you know who?
    ??? I know the band Who, lol

• Sunshine
    13 years ago

12)oh yaa I made you lol didnt I ?
    jumps around*

13) Donuts ???

14)what's your favorite plate?

15) favorite dessert ?

16) did you love your childhood ?

17) what's a moment in your life that you will never forget ?

18)a moment that you miss ?

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

12)oh yaa I made you lol didnt I ?
    jumps around*
    Yes, you made me laugh.

13) Donuts ???
    I love Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, the best in the world.

14)what's your favorite plate?
    Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Lima Beans, Homemade Biscuits (yes I can make them, lol)

15) favorite dessert ?
    3 favorites, Red Velvet Cake, Peach Cobbler, Banana Pudding

16) did you love your childhood ?
    No, I didn't. My mother was sick a lot and we moved around quite a bit.

17) what's a moment in your life that you will never forget ?
    The night an agonizing scream woke me from sleep and scared me half to death. I learned the next morning, that at the exact time the scream woke me, the guy I was dating was killed in a car wreck. I can still hear that scream today.

18)a moment that you miss ?
    Sitting on the floor next to my mother's chair, my head in her lap and her smoothing my hair behind my ear.

• Sunshine
    13 years ago

Krispy Kreme is my fav as well!

I am so sorry to hear about that guy..gave me goosebumps. Sorry you had to go through that.

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

Britt, The scream woke me from a sound sleep and as long as I live I will never forget it. It was so full of agony and I was scared out of my wits at the time.

Yes, I have had other experiences like this. In fact one within the last couple of days. I found a feather in perfect condition laying about 1 foot from my computer desk. No one ever walked in that area and my pillows are foam. I have a friend who sent goodbyes to all our friends saying that life was to overwhelming and that they could no longer live. I had prayed that they come to me so we could try and work through these issues. When I spoke of this, Connie told me this legend

"that finding bird feathers means you have been touched an angel and are being protected. If you believe this go to the spot you found it and try talking to the angel." I did go to the spot and talked and got chills all over my body. The only bad thing about this if I believe and I do is that my friend succeeded in taking their life.

Nana, those doughnuts are the BEST!! I think going through things like that weren't all bad, helped make me the person I am today and changed my beliefs in the spirit world, angels, ESP, etc.,

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

Sibyllene, I have been remiss in not thanking you for calling me a classic lady. That is so nice of you and makes me feel good.

• silvershoes
    13 years ago

Have you ever ridden a horse?

Are you well travelled?

Do you share your poetry with family or friends outside PnQ?

Do you think you'll try to get published?

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

Jane

Have you ever ridden a horse?
    Yes, infortunately I have. My girlfried had horses and insisted I ride with her. Bareback with me behind her and took me on the wildest ride I could imagine. I promised God if I got my feet back on the ground, I would never get on another horse and never did. lol

Are you well travelled?
    Just around the US, mainly for business trips.

Do you share your poetry with family or friends outside PnQ?
    I have a blog where I post my poems and at one time on a few other sites but for the most part just PnQ. I wish my mother was alive so I could share them with her.

Do you think you'll try to get published?
    I don't think so. I have heard so many horror stories about publishing scams that I wouldn't trust publishing companies and personally I don't think that my work is good enough to publish. If I could write like Plath, Rossetti or Dickinson, I might give it a try.

• Meena Krish
    13 years ago

Hey Sylvia..seems like most of the questions have been asked but here is one:

If given the chance, is there anything in your life that you would want to change & Why?

• Sunshine
    13 years ago

Oh wow Sylvia you gave me chills regarding that feather story..

Will you write a poem about it ?
    If you did, let me know!!

And yes they are:) I will go righttttt now and grab some. Ya I will share, no worries. (:

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

Meena
    If given the chance, is there anything in your life that you would want to change & Why?

There is one thing I would change. I spent a great deal of my life being angry at everyone and everything. That cost me friendships and time with my family. After dealing with that anger life became much better, I regret that it took me so long to get rid of the anger.

Nana
    To add to your chills, (smiles) one of our other friends, (On Sunday night) dreamed about baby birds, how small they were and all they had to do was hold out their hand and the baby birds would come to them. On Monday another friend was at work, saw a bird flying around the sky and a thought popped into their mind, He's Free Now.

Yes I started a poem about the feather yesterday and as soon as I finish it, I will let you know. As for those doughnuts, you better share or I will hunt you down. LOL

• Lu
    13 years ago

Sylvia though I barely know you, I feel you are a terrific lady.

Ohhh and I must comment your poem. I LOVED that poem. It was amazing !

A few questions (if they have been asked please ignore)

- What time of day is your favorite ?

- Do you have any of the same friends as you did as a child?

- Did you go to your prom ? If so ... what was it like ? Magical - Disaster

- If you could do ANYTHING at this very moment that you read this. What would you do or where would you go ?

• Meena Krish
    13 years ago

Sylvia, anger makes one to lose many a relationship as well as oneself..I am glad that you were able to deal with it and carrying forward! Always wish you the best!

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

Lu, thank you for the compliments.

What time of day is your favorite ?
    Early morning before anyone else begins to stir, which now is not a problem for me. lol

Do you have any of the same friends as you did as a child?
    No, I don't. My family moved around so much, I didn't make friends every easily. My one and only childhood friend Donna, lives in Tennessee and every few years we touch bases.

Did you go to your prom ? If so ... what was it like ? Magical - Disaster
    I went to the prom but it was normal. lol Nothing magical, no disasters.

If you could do ANYTHING at this very moment that you read this. What would you do or where would you go ?
    To the kitchen to check on my toast and get more coffee. That is actually what I did. lol

Meena, you are so right. It took all my time being angry and I missed so much and lost me in that anger. I am so glad that I was able to deal with it, changed my life greatly.

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

Connie, this is the first poem that I wrote in 2006, the first time I left my husband. It started out long and rambling and with help from my mentor, this is the final product. It reflects how I felt at the time.

Your Words
    by Sylvia

Ten years, memories of the past
    Words hurled and spewed, they will not last
    You'll never know the pain I feel
    To hell with others, so surreal

Memories painful, my soul is aching
    Words hurled and spewed, my heart breaking
    Daggers piercing my heart and soul
    Will the wounds heal and close the hole

Why did I stay for all those years
    Was in love, put away my fears
    Cruel and vicious, I am confused
    Awful words, left me bruised

Defeated me, soul eroded, left me stunned
    No more, now free from what was done
    Putting pieces together, once again
    Battles to fight, victories to obtain

*I wrote this immediately after leaving an abusive marriage and was in a hurry to get these thoughts out of my mind and to start the healing process.

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

Lol, My mentor was big on rhymes and syllable counts. After a while I started to branch out and try new stuff.

• Cindy
    13 years ago

Light of Freedom
    ^^^^
    Thank you Sylvia :)

What is your favorite season?

Who is your favorite actor?

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

Britt

What is your biggest pet peeve?
    Being late and being made to wait after I am on time. lol

What's your biggest pet peeve in poetry?
    Misspelled words, apostrophes left out, punctuation missing, wrong words used like its, it's, then, than, their, there

EDIT: Forgot one, people who insist that every poem MUST have a metaphor.

What's your favorite song, musician/band?
    Favorite song, Why Don't We Just Dance by Josh Turner
    Favorite musician/band, Simply Red

What's your favorite TV show? Movie? Color?
    TV Show, Law and Order SVU
    Movie, The Silence of the Lambs
    Color, Blue

Cindy
    What is your favorite season?
    Summer

Who is your favorite actor?
    Anthony Hopkins

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

I would have to say this is my favorite poem by a famous poet. Rossetti is said to have written this over a broken engagement but I also think the words apply to the death of a loved as well, a dual purpose poem if you will. The message to me in either case is that when the loved one is gone, not to be sad and grieve, but remember the good times.

REMEMBER

by: Christina Rossetti (1830-1894)

REMEMBER me when I am gone away,
    Gone far away into the silent land;
    When you can no more hold me by the hand,
    Nor I half turn to go, yet turning stay.
    Remember me when no more day by day
    You tell me of our future that you plann'd:
    Only remember me; you understand
    It will be late to counsel then or pray.
    Yet if you should forget me for a while
    And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
    For if the darkness and corruption leave
    A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
    Better by far you should forget and smile
    Than that you should remember and be sad.

• silvershoes
    13 years ago

It is my guess that Sylvia hasn't seen the further activity in this thread or she would have commented/responded in some way. Silence yes, not arrogance?

The thing about arrogance is it's often synonymous with pride, which any good Christian will tell you is a sin. Actually, my Sikh boyfriend told me yesterday that pride is considered a character flaw in most religions. To an Agnostic like myself, virtues and vices in religions are based on morality and common sense, therefore it's not presumptuous to assume being called arrogant is not a compliment, nor is it neutral. It's an insult.

I don't think it's a mod's opinion. I think it's a general opinion.

Anyway... don't see why you 2 are arguing ;) Not worth the effort as far as I can tell! The accusation here of Sylvia being arrogantly silent is probably more out of boredom and with the intention to stir things up than an intentional condemnation.

Sayonara.

• silvershoes
    13 years ago

Ddivib, I see a revolutionist in you. Viva la revolucion! More power to you, just try to respect other members while you're doing your energizing thing ;)
    You haven't broken any rules and no one's penalizing you. Stop acting like it, buddy.

• Sylvia
    13 years ago

I am sorry if you are insulted that I didn't answer your questions. I just saw them within the last few days and to be honest, don't have answers because I don't understand what you are asking. I can tell you that I am not arrogant at all.

• silvershoes
    13 years ago

We're running this site fine, I have no insecurities there. I'm not defending Sylvia since you meant no offense? I have no problem with being told I'm wrong. If you think insinuating that someone is arrogant isn't an insult, let's hope Sylvia feels the same.

You claimed Sylvia hasn't responded to you because she's being arrogantly silent. Britt commented that maybe she hasn't seen your question(s) yet, and even if she has, she has the choice not to respond. Then KABOOM, what a big blow up on your part!

Now if you don't mind me saying, you need to take a few deep breaths and figure out what the heck you're flipping out about. Do you think I'm going to punish you for disagreeing with me regarding my logic that arrogance is a vice? I'm not. That would be an abuse of power. Chill out.
    I've got no qualms with you, and I'm not sure why you've got qualms with me.

*Ah, here's Sylvia now. I'm going to retreat and let the 2 of you discuss whatever...

• silvershoes
    13 years ago

Was there a question I missed?

• silvershoes
    13 years ago

I understand completely we are here to learn and there's no win unless it's a win for everyone on PnQ. I'll be the first to put aside my ideas or opinions if it's not what the group wants. I'm about collectivism, not individual gain... it can be seen time and time again when I've supported what the majority has decided even when it is against my ideas of what would be best.
    I wasn't trying to argue with you about arrogance or how the site should be run. I only wished to shed light on a different perspective.

• silvershoes
    13 years ago

I thought you said there is no win? Here you are trying to apologize to Sylvia and look like the good guy, meanwhile pinning Britt and me as bad guys who make a big fuss and disrupt meaningful discussions. We have inhibited absolutely no discussion in this thread. If you recall... you were complaining about arrogant SILENCE.
    Inhibiting discussion requires a discussion. It also requires editing and deleting of posts, which we've made no move to do.

• silvershoes
    13 years ago

Hmm... yes, I see what you mean. I believe in democracy and going with the majority (because I believe the majority of active members on PnQ are intelligent and have good intentions), but I will state my own opinion, especially when I disagree with the leanings of the group. Sometimes stating my view persuades the group to take my side. Usually it doesn't, and I take that as I must be wrong somehow (since I can't always be right).

I struggle to avoid dictatorship and any advice or suggestions as to how to avoid it is always welcome. I don't wish to hide amongst popularity, but it's a fine line of supporting democracy and blindly following group mentality.

• silvershoes
    13 years ago

I didn't call you rude, did I? I don't recall using that word. I'm not telling you I have given you mercy. Mercy would require you breaking a rule and me not penalizing you for it. You haven't broken any rules. I'm simply stating the fact that no one is punishing you, but you continue to act like someone is. I'm in no way saying that you deserve to be punished, because you don't.

Yes, I was a simpler member and I am STILL a simpler member, but now I have been given the responsibility to regulate PnQ. There's nothing for me to regulate here. I came in to state my opinions as a simple member, but instead I was told I'm unwelcome because I'm a mod. That's the gist of it.
    You pinned me as a mod in this thread, not me.

• silvershoes
    13 years ago

Oi. It's not that big of a deal to me... If you think you can make this or any other thread more exciting, be my guest.

• silvershoes
    13 years ago

I would love to read some of your thousands of ideas to improve this site. There have been lots of changes made in the past months because of suggestions from members.

• LJ Roodt
    12 years ago

Sjoe what a long time.

Was on my time a big member on PnQ

Cleared my account and focused on my book.

Its so great to be back and see you all are still here and all the new things happening.

Well Sylvia here it goes:

-------------

Q1:

So what inspires you to the full extend for your love of poetry ?

Q2:

Ever thinking of pursuing this as a career in the future by starting a book ?

Q3:

Whats your fav type of poem style ?

Take care Sylvia :)