Too many users!!!

• Boy
    12 years ago

Hi everyone! :)
    just wanted to know from last two days i was trying to log in but i got message.

" there are so many users at the moment please try later"

the message like something i don't remember exactly.
    does anyone know about this.

• Britt
    12 years ago

Everyone got the message. Server must've been down.

• Boy
    12 years ago

Maybe you are right/ server was busy two days continuously? is it possible...

• Kevin
    12 years ago

Or perhaps we need to cull some of the weaker/older ones.

It's clearly been a mild winter.

• Britt
    12 years ago

If the server went down, Janis would have to boot it back up (or whatever computer terms would be used that I don't know or understand).. it may take him a while, not like he signs in everyday to check lol

• Boy
    12 years ago

And if the server goes down and janis does not come then u mean this site will remain close unless he come and see it...?

• Italian Stallion
    12 years ago

I believe Janis, Dainz, and one other person (Janis' helper/coder) has the rights to have the server rebooted.

So no, to my knowledge, three different people have the ability to reboot it, so if Janis doesn't do it, then one of the others can; however, much like Janis, Dainz and this other guy don't come on very often at all.

So, like Britt. said, it takes time to get it rebooted when it does go down.

• Larry Chamberlin
    12 years ago

"Or perhaps we need to cull some of the weaker/older ones.

It's clearly been a mild winter."

LOL, Kevin. We'll arm you with a 'user clipper'

Wait a minute, I AM one of the older ones. You will find, though, some old guys can be pretty tough to cull.

Joe: I don't know that Janis owns the server. Unless he has several other sites, it would not be cost effective (although 5,500 users is respectable). On the other hand, if he has several sites, he could hardly miss the fact that the server was down. I think it may be on a shared server, whose maintenance crew does not work on Sunday.

• Italian Stallion
    12 years ago

Janis does not own the server, but he still has to call or email the people who he is affiliated with (for the server) to let them know that it is down so they can reboot it.

• Boy
    12 years ago

How long it takes to reboot the server?

• Italian Stallion
    12 years ago

Depends on the size and content on the server, but usually it will take a couple minutes to reboot.

• Boy
    12 years ago

Hi,
    what is the point to say.. "there are too many user.." cannot we get the the "server unavailable" or "server is down"... error because thus at least we cannot try again and again.

• Italian Stallion
    12 years ago

We can, it's a simple fix, but like many things we need Janis (or coding rights) to do that.

• silvershoes
    12 years ago

I'm glad you boys know so much about server rights and what not. I had no idea there was the possibility you mentioned, Larry, how interesting!

• Amreen
    12 years ago

Well i'm happy when the server started up....
    I was full tensed

• SiLeNtLy ScReAmInG
    12 years ago

The site was down for a good 2 or 3 weeks with that same message back in 2007. It always gets fixed eventually though.