Love on the internet

• innocent chalera
    12 years ago

Is it ok to have a girlfriend whom you've never met before?just an internet thing

• BlueJay
    12 years ago

I know I shouldn't input, but I think its a perfectly ok thing as long as you think its something you both could enjoy

• Beauty In The Breaking
    12 years ago

Of course. Despite what a lot of people will say it doesn't take sight or touch to fall in love, it takes a connection. I tend to view online dating and love as a form of more pure love in a way. You fall in love with the person, not the body and you don't have the physical stuff getting in the way of getting to know each other.

Actually met my boyfriend on this site a long time ago now. We've been together for years now and are happy, we're still working on getting to be in the same location though so it's still totally online.

Of course you have to be careful, there's a lot of creepy people and a lot of people that are only looking to hurt and take advantage of you online, but as long as you're smart about it, careful, and get to know the person well before you get to close then I see nothing wrong with it at all

• believeinlove87
    12 years ago

I agree completely^^^^

Alot of people can be lying,so you have to find out the truth & be careful. But if your happy thats all that matters(:

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

I think as long as you both know each other; as in, you know how she looks, her personality, you're not lying about it, both of you. Then it's totally fine... Love tests the boundaries of time and space.

• Liquid Grace
    12 years ago

With me I think you can certainly date someone. But I don't feel that you can love someone till you truly know them. This includes their little quirks that you would only get to see by meeting them face to face.

The best analogy I can give is.

"Words only form 7% or so of our communication, the rest is 38% tonality and 55% body language."

So while you can certainly get to know a person online, about them their past, future etc. Can you truthfully say you know a person 100% without the other physical elements. Can you truly say you love someone without actually knowing the person inside and out? I'm doubtful about that. Dating on the internet is fine, I just am highly doubtful that one can say they love someone without meeting them.

I adore when my husband would do these small little quirks, the way he spoke to me, the way he hugged me, how he treated me around others, even the stuff that bugged me: how tardy he could be, how sometimes he was 'too' affectionate, How forgetful he is. But I learned to love him for who he was in his entirety not just what he told me on a phone or on the internet.

• Gaby
    12 years ago

Honestly, my policy was NO ONLINE dating ever! Cuz it wasnt real. In my opinion. But then not too long ago, I met someone who broke every rule. Who I am now currently dating, for 2 two months and goin strong, although it is a long distance relationship. So I guess in the end it's whatever works for you man. =) Just make sure theyre not freaks and ur bein careful.

• Paul Gondwe
    12 years ago

Its okay, no harm in that

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

Amanda, always taking the words out of my mouth, haha.

• Ari
    12 years ago

I was in an online relationship for seven years. I was madly in love with him. Like, to the point where I was ready to move to another continent to be with him.

When we met in person, there was no chemistry.

On paper, we were perfect. In real life, we weren't. We fought a lot, we couldn't see eye to eye, one would do something and the other would misunderstand it or take it the wrong way.

It was horrible.

Most of our downfall was we had created images of each other in our minds eyes, people who were compatible with us because we didn't think to make it any different. My mind had cast him into a very specific role that wasn't at all how he was like. Most of human interactions and communication is done through boy language... How you move around people. Without seeing that, it's hard to judge any relationship.

So a word to the wise, online dating can be fine, but just remember that because your words get along, doesn't mean the rest of you will.

• Lofallenve
    12 years ago

"Most of our downfall was we had created images of each other in our minds eyes, people who were compatible with us because we didn't think to make it any different. My mind had cast him into a very specific role that wasn't at all how he was like. Most of human interactions and communication is done through boy language... How you move around people. Without seeing that, it's hard to judge any relationship."

I have to second that. Because that is what happens most of the time with online relationships. :/

But on the different side, they do have chances of working out. As long as the two are dedicated and have strong hearts.

• Britt
    12 years ago

"So a word to the wise, online dating can be fine, but just remember that because your words get along, doesn't mean the rest of you will."

That is probably the best advice I think I've ever read in this forum.

• Ari
    12 years ago

I'm glad I could help. Most advice though sadly, is heard but not received. I hope I'm wrong but most people need to make the mistake to understand the advice against it.

• average thoughts
    12 years ago

Its 100 percnt ok, as lng as ppl r nt lying ,and no doubt its one of d rsn dt sftwares like skype has bcm worldwide success..ppl js need distraction outta thr stresful life..and in future we hv like holographic display..jus like iphone 5.. And it wil change the whole experience of meeting new ppl in d internet..

• Lioness
    12 years ago

We can't help whom we love or have a connection with. We can't help how we meet them. If it happens it happens. The worst thing would be to deny yourselves happiness if there was a chance for it.

Just of course maybe speak on the phone to make sure they're actually the sex they say they are. I thought I was in a relationship with a guy and it turned out it was a girl playing a nasty trick on me.

If you're dating a girl, hear her voice at least over the phone to make sure

• Beauty In The Breaking
    12 years ago

Totally agree with Lioness. I've found Youtube, videos on your phone, or even using your camera to take a video and send it off helps. Skype, video cam on MSN or Yahoo messenger, any of it helps, both to reassure you that they are indeed who they say they are and you get to learn their body language, expressions, mannerisms and such.

You have to be careful, there's a lot of creepy, not so nice people online who love to trick you.

Also, as was said already, with online dating it's entirely to easy to make them into this perfect image in your mind, even with seeing them on Skype or videos, of who they are, how they'll fit and match with you, and it leads to a perfect relationship...until you meet. Be upfront and honest with them and ask them to be the same with you. My boyfriend and I have found it actually helps to admit when we disagree, I tell him when I think he's being a total idiot and he does the same, we argue if it comes to that. I let him see my faults and what makes me hard to live with and he does the same. Both of us are very aware that the other isn't perfect and when we meet and live together we're going to piss each other off and we're going to get annoyed. It helps to build a health relationship where you know your partner if you show them who you are, not just your good side. It'll help with cutting the chances you'll not like each other when you meet

• believeinlove87
    12 years ago

^^^
    I agree.

My best friend told me, you know the relationships that start off the internet last way longer, then if you meet them in person. They do because when you meet them over the internet; you're getting to know them for their mind, not their looks. :)