How do you write?

• Vermilion
    10 years ago

How do you, as an individual person, write poetry? What are your inspirations, what is your purpose? What makes your words flow? Everybody has their own unique style, and I'm curious to hear some of yours.

• Poet on the Piano
    10 years ago

Hi, Vermilion!

That's a question with a lot of depth. But I hope many can share, good idea :]

For me, personally, I don't have a "set" style of writing or music I listen to...it all depends on the poem. If I have a lot I want to say, something just happened that made me upset or frustrated, usually it's more of a in-your-face poem or more opinionated, so it's more prose perhaps....my other poems give images and I don't gruel over a poem usually like a lot of poets may do. If I'm trying to be more crafty, I'll ponder over it and maybe read it aloud to see if it flows. I do editing and if something about it isn't right I'll wait a few days to see or such how I feel about it.

A lot of my most heartfelt, honest poems are in the moment when I have that thought- it usually doesn't work out to well if I try to hard to "plan" a poem unless I'm looking at it like a project and I've had this inspiration forever. I also like to listen to music, instrumental at night or just one song over and over. Sometimes though if it has too many lyrics I can't write because I feel like I'm being influenced by that or I can't focus on saying what I need to say. But I listen to TONS of different music...if I just have to write, to get my emotion out, it can be metal too or something that just keeps me in that moment, drowning out other things going on.

• Vermilion
    10 years ago

Thanks for your great feedback! :)

• Poet on the Piano
    10 years ago

No problem! Do you have a certain style you write in?

• Vermilion
    10 years ago

Not necessarily. Generally, each of my poems has a rhythm that plays in my head while I write it. It helps the poem flow.

• Poet on the Piano
    10 years ago

Neat! Definitely would make a poem sound and read more natural if you have that connection & rhythm with it when writing...

• Tim
    10 years ago

For me when I write, I have to have to first have something to write about, something that means something to me. Without a message to share, there is little point in writing. For me anyway. - I've seen people write for the sake of writing many many time, and it's as if that screams out through the words, and just doesn't ring true.

While writing, I like to try and mix up styles, so I can become better and more diverse. But I am a big fan of the rhyme, it adds that almost silliness to the piece. Obviously that isn't something you really want when writing about something very serious.

Good question though, I like it :)

• Vermilion
    10 years ago

Thank you for your feedback! You have great insight on poetry, I appreciate your advice! Thank you!

• james sony buchi
    10 years ago

Well for me,i write when there is truly something to write about,this doesn't however mean i always wait for something to happen before i write,sometimes i invent happenings and write greatly about them.I'm also deeply inlove with rhymes,symbolism and imagery,they add great beauty to my works

• Vermilion
    10 years ago

Thanks for your feedback! I also usually use rhymes in my poetry, it helps me to make the words flow