Weekly Contest Results 12/31/18

• PnQ Mod Account
    5 years ago

It's the last day of 2018 and we're going out with a bang! Thank you to our wonderful judges who have completed their term this week.

Congratulations to our winners. A very well deserved front page spot for Maple Tree/Andrea, who has written a poignant piece about spending the holidays with a loved one absent. The pain of being a mother to a sick child seeps out of "Christmas without #1." With "The cup I now welcome.," Poet on the Piano/MA has earned her spot on the front page. She has created a meaningful poem filled with heartache - ending with hope and wholeness. Finally, congratulations to She of the Stars, a talented newcomer who has come quietly blazing onto the front page with "Back to the Earth."

Results:

-------------------------------------------------------------
    WINNERS

Christmas without #1
    by Maple Tree
    10 + 7 + 7 = 27

"This poem broke my heart. The very last line brought me to tears. I have to give this poem a 10 for its truthfulness, anguish, and because someone going through such a horrible experience with their child deserves a win, no matter how small and insignificant." (10)

"A Christmas tale all-too-familiar is one such as this, where Christmas can remind you of what you won’t and can’t ever have… whether it be normalcy, sobriety, or just completion. We find, over decades of living, that everyone discovers empty seats at their table. The pain such constant reminders bring, during what’s supposed a happy season, never truly abates, for the best presents in our lives are the people in it. Thank you for bringing an important spotlight to a struggle we might not know or remember the people next to us are enduring." (7)

"Maple tree has a great way of telling us a story and pulling on the heart strings. She juxtaposes the joy and abundance of Xmas with the sadness of the missing family member. Using an empty chair as the image to describe the emptiness was very powerful. This is an extremely sad write that is thought provoking and makes us question our own excesses." (7)

Back to the Earth
    by She of the Stars
    10 + 7 = 17

"At first read I thought that the adjective use was okay, nothing spectacular. Then I arrived at the final stanza. What amazing imagery. This poem doesn't take itself too seriously. I would say it is efficiently written throughout saving the genius for that final stanza. An easy 10 for me." (10)

"I’m a sucker for good free verse, and this poem is a perfect marriage of substance and style. “The cold breeze curled around her” grabbed me, and then each line tugged me further in. Sentimental without undue adornment. Peaceful, almost somber, and absolutely beautiful." (7)

The cup I now welcome.
    by Poet on the Piano
    10 + 4 = 14

"It seems that Poet on the Piano has a valuable lesson for our poetry community: it is important to fill your cups with something you want to drink, not something you must drink. Empowering as it may be, many still continue to drink the “never easy to swallow demons” they feel forced to consume. I loved this poem especially for its dedication to the metaphor, through and through." (10)

"This poem reached into my heart and plucked unforgivingly at the strings. MA has delivered a poem that is unapologetic in its raw honesty. So much obvious hurt from a daughter who has felt misunderstood by her father. The second stanza shows a marked, positive change. Home actually feels like home. I breathed a sigh of relief for our dear poet." (4)

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Then I’ll Let them Feel
    by Dancing Rivers
    7 + 4 = 11

"I really loved this poem. It’s so clear, and demonstrates real power but hints at the frustration and desperation of not being understood. The persona in this poem is on a personal quest, and has a wish to feel enough, appreciated, and it’s this vulnerability, coupled with the gritty determination that makes this poem so powerful." (7)

"I really enjoyed this piece by Dancing Rivers. I related and empathized with many of the sentiments throughout, especially when she spoke about trying “to make dreams materialize from empty promises.” We all try to make something from nothing and dealing with the fallout of failure can be debilitating." (4)

Scouring
    by Satish Verma

"Theres such a wonderful control and choice of language here - it’s fantastic. The message of not being able to find a home with ease, without trouble is cleverly described here with an economic use of metaphor, and unique imagery." (10)

Happy New Year
    by Milly Hayward

"Delightful piece, it says it all, nice unforced rhyming." (10)

An Echo, A Sign
    by Daniel

"Loved the "Phases" in the poem set up, I smoke, I drink, I love; with the explanations given, nice work." (7)

Drowning
    by Spanish Star

"A little bump in the grammar, slang ok, overall a heartfelt, rhyming poem." (4)

Gifting Away
    by Satish Verma

"Despite not knowing much about this writer, and having never spoken to them, they always produce interesting and thought provoking work. This poem is no different - the idea of rebuilding self is a relatable topic, especially this time of year, and the poem explores the images of self destruction without resorting to cliche." (4)

To a Poet on the Piano
    by Dancing Rivers

"What a marvellous dedication to another member this is. Dancing rivers has taken the time to read a profile and use the info there to conjure this magical poem. Not only that I believe to the best of my knowledge that she has hit the nail on the head with her assumptions. A touching tribute to another poet and a great idea for a contest prompt. 4 points" (4)

• Darren
    5 years ago

Congrats all involved

• Michael
    5 years ago

Hi All :)

Firstly happy new year :)
    Congratulations to the winners and HMs awarded.
    Thank you to this term judges, who have done a sterling job, and not an easy one!

Much love, M :)x

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Lovely work this week. Great to see a new member on the front page, too.
    Thank you to the judges for all their time this term and happy new year to all

• Star
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Thank you so much for the win, it’s a great surprise. Congratulations everyone!!

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

I want to give Andrea the biggest hug and also give a huge shout-out to She of the Stars. It is wonderful indeed to see a new member on the front page and what a great start to the year! Thank you to the judges for your support and comments, as well as those who read and gave their encouragement. I feel such peace that I am able to share on here and not only bear my heart but know this is the best place to do so. Also, thank you to Hazel for the kind tribute. Thank you to Jane for hosting and of course, our round of judges. We always appreciate you.

Have an awesome start to the year, everyone!

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Way to end the year! Andrea's poignancy, Mary Anne's introspective hope and She of the Star's nature envelopment. Great work judges & thanks, Jane for hosting.

• Maple Tree
    5 years ago

Hugs to MA <3

Congratulations to She of Stars- Welcome :-)

Thank you to the sweet judges for your comments, when I post a poem in general it warms my heart for the support- when I write for my Bird and it is chosen to be highlighted, I dont think this site knows how much it means to me... the support and the love is overwhelming, thank you.

Congratulations to everyone and thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to this precious site.

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Happy New year's everyone! I hope this coming year brings much happiness and prosperity. Congrats to all the front page winners and HM's! Stellar writes all around. Jane, thank you for hosting and judges a big thank you for your time and dedication to this precious site.

• naaz
    5 years ago

Congratulations to everyone.

Moderators, judges, poets, thanks to all of you for making it possible.

For creating another wonderful week and reminding us how beautiful life could be.

New year wishes!

Love you all!

Enjoy!

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Happy for the winners and HMs
    Grateful to the judges for showering so much love on all of us.
    Thanks to our hardworking Moderators and to all the beautiful members for their time to read, comment and obviously nomination.
    Much love for pnq family..

S

• Dancing Rivers
    5 years ago

Wooooooowww so the old year is now quite well and done. I sort of blinked and found an entire new life fluttering before me.

I would like to wish you all an impossibly amazing new year (mine is off to an amazing start new job for me and for hubby and a new baby on the way which means a new home will soon need to be found)

I also want to congratulate everyone for all the awesome work throughout the years, the poets without whom this site would not exist, the judges who so fairly bring recognition and light to so many deserving works each week the mods who are kinda like the mafia and the elders of a tribe all at the same time (kidding about the mafia ;) ) you guys have become family.
    And lastly I want to say whaaaaaaaaattttt????? I was just reading my comments on my works feeling all warm and fuzzy and suddenly it hit me.. judges comments and then it sunk in so I came here and found not one but TWO hms and I can only say that I am humbled. Thank you for these unexpected honors I am thrilled.
    May you all be blessed ???