poetry critique thread

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

There's been a fair bit of talk about poems not being constructively critiqued on PnQ anymore. I thought a way to rectify that would be to have a weekly thread committed to critiquing three poems from random members (one each) on a first come, first served basis, so to speak.
    Every Saturday, a new thread will open and anyone who wants help/critique on a poem can post said piece on the thread (no more than one per poet). Once three poems are up, that's it for the week and all other members will be able to 'pull them apart' for the week - constructively, politely and in a way that helps and encourages - not discourages and disheartens.
    Just my thoughts as I genuinely believe so many poets on here have so much to offer each other. Everyone knows I love writing sonnets and if it wasn't for Michael (Mr Darcy) I never would have attempted. He suggested I should write one and he taught me everything I know about meter and how to structure a sonnet. And Andrea even got me writing free verse! (with some very useful tips).

*I know there is a 'writing poetry' thread on the boards, but let's face it, people don't really frequent it like the main members' message forum

• Poet on the Piano replied to Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Ben, neat idea! This could be like a workshop or at least something we can all participate in if we want and hopefully learn something from other poets.

• Adreamer
    5 years ago

I agree, this would be an awesome thing to try!

• Mr. Darcy replied to Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Sounds like a plan, Stan.

• abracadabra
    5 years ago

Really love this idea.

No sissies submitting poems for ego-boosting, please. No exhaustingly polite 'sandwich method' of feedback etc.

Just be prepared to accept fair, honest, constructive criticism.

Can't wait to sink my teeth in. Nothing personal.

• Hellon replied to abracadabra

No sissies submitting poems for ego-boosting, please. No exhaustingly polite 'sandwich method' of feedback etc.

^^^

haha...love it!!!

• D. replied to abracadabra
    5 years ago

Can I use semi-tiring and mildly impolite sandwich methods Abby? Or even a polite panini or baguette? I’m afraid my inherent Englishness prohibits me from critiquing in any other way.

:)

• Ben Pickard

If people continue to show this level of savage excitement at the thought of 'sinking their teeth in' to tender flesh, then I shall open the first thread next Saturday! (Unless someone else is keen or the mods want to take over?)

• Darren replied to Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

this is a good idea, but will only work if people are honest.

At the moment if a poem is good I'll leave a comment, if it is crap I wont comment.
    This is wrong and possibly a hangover from the 1-5 scoring system.

however if this is done right there may be some egos deflated.
    some spats
    some war of words

I'll get the popcorn ready

• D. replied to Darren
    5 years ago

This is not a place for egos (not that yoy said it was,) it’s a place for people to lay their poetry down, disassociate themselves and detach. If people post their poems and can’t handle criticism then they should’ve never posted it. Must be clear.

I don’t mind ‘hosting’ this a few times by the way, Ben, just not every week. :)

• abracadabra replied to D.
    5 years ago

I confess I do take delight in the occasional polite panini, Daniel. Very well.

• Ben Pickard

Sorry Darren but I'm with Daniel there. I don't want this to turn into what you describe, although I am aware it has the potential. But I would rather it was somewhere we can all post poetry (only if we are open to constructive criticism) and not a place for a war of words - that doesn't help anyone.
    Simple rule - post a poem and be open to advice and honest and helpful feedback. That doesn't mean we can't question it (that will all be part of the discussion) but not attack others' views or opinions simply becasue they don't like something in your poem.

By the way, Daniel, that would be great. Maybe near the end of each week we could just ask if anyone specifically wants to host the next thread and if no one steps up, well, I suppose the onus falls on me for coming up with it...

• silvershoes
    5 years ago

Awesome idea. Can’t wait.

• Everlasting replied to Darren
    5 years ago

This thread along with the other about how you feel about the weekly competition has reminded me of a poem I once wrote called “confession of a writer” or something like that

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/poems/1248411

Haha, I just hope that I won’t feel like that again. Though, ironically, I just sighed when I read some sentences from that piece of mine. Those sentences need some editing.

I look forward to the poetry critique thread. Though, I can’t promise I’ll participate with a piece, but if I can, I’ll jump in and drop a critique.

• Maple Tree
    5 years ago

I am 100% in support of this, I love to be critiqued it helps me tremendously, however I am not very good and breaking things down for another. I can do it... but at this time my brain is not in high gear. I love this idea and think we should do it :-)

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Ben and Michael are star poets of the site, and Daniel has joined them too. Daniel, my friend, your poems are beautiful. Keep on penning.
    As far as my poems are concerned, I am thankful to Hellon for always letting me know how to improve my poems. Like grammar mistakes, or I should place my poem in the center. What Hellon did always helped me and few of those poems got hm and showed up on front page too. For me, criticism turned out to be a good thing. I don't mind if someone criticize my poem, try to give me a little advice.

• Hellon
    5 years ago

Every Saturday, a new thread will open and anyone who wants help/critique on a poem can post said piece on the thread (no more than one per poet)

^^^

So....where's the thread???

• abracadabra
    5 years ago

Logged in for some teeth sinkage and NOTHING.

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Hello, all. Genuinely sorry about this but I've had some difficulties this week that have kept my mind elsewhere. I'll get this up and running this coming Saturday - promise.