Weekly Contest Results, 11 March 2019

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Weekly Contest Results, 11 March 2019

Devotion takes form in ways that bind beings in beneficent relationships. Aegis remains devoted to a love in a manner which borrows from the mystical nature of surreal beings; Daniel’s hunter profits with life and sustenance from the devotion of the Leshy; Andrea’s devotion to Robin goes beyond the imminence of her passing and pledges the mother’s unconditional love. Congratulations to each of these front page winners and to the honorably mentioned also.

Thanks to the judges for their insightful and interesting comments as well as their devotion to their task.

Front Page Winners
    The Princess and the Paintbrush by Aegis 10+7=17 points
    Leshy (The Forest Dweller) by Daniel 10+4=14 points
    Throwing in the Towel by Maple Tree 4+7=11 points

Honorably Mentioned
    A Verse Full Of Love (English Sonnet) by Ben Pickard 10 points
    I Love her More by Mark 10 points
    Torn memories by Jiminize 10 points
    I'm bitter (because I want to be) by Poet on the Piano 7 points
    In leaving by Ben Pickard 7 points
    Tea by Tanya Southey 7 points
    A missing title...” by S.T.A.R. 4 points
    Life is Not over by Dagmar Wilson 4 points
    The Taste by Anna Banasiak 4 points

The Princess and the Paintbrush by Aegis 10 points
    Firstly, the title here is captivating and sets up quite a great narrator - esque voice to enhance the piece. And the introduction is very storybook like and inviting, which was not only interesting, but well crafted as well. At first you wonder if this is a miniturely summed up tale of young love or something to that effect, then the reader carries on and it becomes an entire love story (start to finish) with heartache at the end. Overall the feeling here was well expressed, the story was captivating despite the sorrow laced tones, the imagery was phenomenal and honestly this piece felt both authentic and uniquely memorable. Stunningly penned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Princess and the Paintbrush by Aegis 7 points
    Things always happen in Aegis’ poetry. It seems he likes to try as the first sentences of the “Metamorphosis” of Kafka, to hit you hard with the first sentences. Then when the surrealistic assembly of imageries are done he complains that surreal things are impossible to be articulated realistically. This declaration prepares you for the rest of this poem’s venture. Facing the inability to express with words, while you are under the unsought of some indescribable semblances of splendorous beauty.
    Something that one might be able to articulate with paint brush, instead of bruised lips. But the bruised lips do not speak of articulating some world, it is the surrealistic urge to draw the crescent with his lips, he wants the kissing to go farther than a sense of pleasure. Aegis wants to recreate, and draw a sheer moment with a sheer feeling

Leshy (The Forest Dweller) by Daniel10 Points
    Another masterpiece is born!! Daniel introduces us (or me at least) to something new once again. If I would give you an advice, please put Rusalka (The Water Nymph) and this together in a book, and I’ll be the first to buy it!! Words flow beautifully narrating and explaining the situation, which makes me imagine it, I am almost hearing the sounds within that forest. I am truly blown away!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Leshy (The Forest Dweller) by Daniel 4 points
    This piece by Daniel is the second in a fascinating series of mythical forest creatures. He writes with a lush descriptive that stirs the imagination. I never knew these creatures existed and although this Leshy looks formidable the fact he looks out for the less fortunate is an admirable trait that I wish more of us "creatures" did in today's times.

Throwing in the Towel by Maple Tree 7 points
    Personally I enjoyed the piece for a wide variety of reasons; perhaps my two most clearly aligned ties are that Maple Tree has written a poem that practically sums up my favorite book of poetry to date "IWroteThisForYou Just the words" and secondly because there are so many different people who need this piece at various points in their lives - especially us PnQers, so it's nice to have this at our finger tips waiting for the perfect moment to help heal a soul or dry some tears. On the other hand though, I enjoyed this piece because there is something enchanting about Maple Tree's voice that is so enchanting. This piece not only fails to disappoint, but the structure and craft of this piece were truly on point as well. While the style and structure of this piece allows the piece to feel well balanced between lively and calm it also utilizes a sense of imagery that truly elevates this piece. Beautifully written!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Throwing in the Towel by Maple Tree 4 points
    Although Andrea has written this for her daughter, it speaks volumes to others.
    For me personally, the way she begun the porm is brilliant. I could imagine this as a continuing conversation I am having with my mother. The imagery within each stanza are so inspirational, and feels very sincere.
    “I am laced within the silence
    that circles around an empty room,
    embracing the fears that you feel
    when you think you are alone.”

A Verse Full Of Love (English Sonnet) by Ben Pickard 10 points
    Love is in the air and so it should be when writing a sonnet. Love is not always easy, it takes commitment and faith. Ben, is not saying ‘actions speak louder than words’, rather, words speak louder than actions.
    If anyone wants to use an example of how to write a sonnet, use this fine one.

I Love her More by Mark 10 points
    This is a lovely Sonnet so descriptive and delightful. The language is sublime and flow embraces each word and rhymes come like they belong, like they were only made for this piece. The poem has no transcendental message but the adoration of beauty. The imagination of an over zealous lover who honestly is intimidated by the sunshine and asks the question: Who loves her more. The reason of question night be how she glows under the rays of light when sun: “rays do kiss her eyes of aqua blue”
    Or : “Whom struck her beauty so, my chest does pause.”
    Though the competition is a fulfilling urge to discover that how different shades of sunshine could hold and translate her translucency to to different languages of splendour.
    In the end regardlessly, he celebrates the victory over the very glow that almost defeated him in the competition:” But I with extra eye have doubled sight,?To gift her twice the worship you relay? And thrice more when the lover's love by night.”

Torn memories by Jiminize 10 points
    After reading this poem I had to go on this poet's page and to read this young lady is a mere 16! This poem reads with a depth that belies a much older person. Which in turn impressed me all the more. She writes of growing up with this boy, childhood friends, always together, even when when tragedy struck and her whole family was killed. He was there. Friendship grew to more but in the end his love for her wasn't enough. She was damaged and staying with him would damage him too. In the end it was the story of heartbreak and avoidance and remenents of memories.

I'm bitter (because I want to be) by Poet on the Piano 7 points
    Mental health awareness can take many forms, but perhaps, a personal account, depicting the not so, merry-go-round, is just what that doctor should have ordered.

In leaving by Ben Pickard 7 points
    Ben's poem is of loss of a loved one. He mourns the fact he wasn't able to say the last good bye. He talks about his loneliness and marking the days until him.and his beloved will be together again. It's a story of true love and often the regret that goes with unspoken words.

Tea by Tanya Southey 7 points
    I got shivers reading this, and almost in tears. Too many thoughts crossed my mind..
    I started reading it, but to be honest I did not expect much. I am not voting for this because of my emotions, but for how poetic this is. What is Tea? Too many types, what would you choose? Many a bitter drink, till sugar is added. Some are sour, some naturally has hint of sweetness. I’ll leave it to this... Well done Tanya!

A missing title...” by S.T.A.R. 4 points
    I think is always wise to look at someone’s eyes before labelling him/her a Psychopath. But we live in the world that our labels, appear, on the screens before we ever get the chance.
    And the one who is deemed psychopath, is also afraid to be abandoned again by responding to question of her whereabout.
    From here on suddenly we find ourselves in a surrealistic journey when the guy instead of deeming ‘her’ a psychopath, or abandoning her right away, opens her chest in order to paint her heart white. This takeover is so masculine, and shows the real love seeking beyond the imagery.
    White is pure. The man has taken away all the stains. HE?? Perhaps saw the true colour of her within because he, looked at her eyes. Then he sutures the chest yellow, meaning proceed with caution.

Life is Not over by Dagmar Wilson 4 points
    The title to this piece was interesting and well penned. The actual piece is both inspiring and a little bit heartrending because your mind tries to fill in all the gaps, but then when rereading the piece it's more clear that the point isn't really to get the outside factors of the story, it's to understand where the author is coming from - exactly what they were feeling in a select moment. It is stunningly penned and well layed out to create an easygoing flow beside a well voiced piece. I feel like the main reason to hilight this piece though is it's ability to mean so many different things to each and every reader creating a type of versatility and a disconnecting connection between the audience members that encourages them to chat and share their feelings about the piece thus creating even more of an expiecence blossoming from a single poem or author. Very well crafted!

The Taste by Anna Banasiak 4 points
    Our senses are incredible and Anna offers an excellent example of this. Her childhood memory is painted as delectably vivid as her sensory experience is jocund.

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Congrats everyone. Thanks to judges and moderators for all their efforts.
    Much love
    S

• Meena Krish replied to Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Congratulations to the front page winners and all those who received
    a HM. Thank you judges for all your work and thanks for hosting Larry

• Maple Tree
    5 years ago

Aegis and Daniel,
    Adore your poems <3 Really cool to be on the front page with you both :-) I admire both of you greatly. Thank you judges and everyone for your support and for this win, winning for Birdy melts me. Yes I wrote this poem for her but as Bird says to me daily, if my darkness can touch another than keep on writing Momma <3

Congratulations to all the Hm's and thank you everyone for your hard work and dedication to this site.

Larry- Hugs you dear friend <3

• Star
    5 years ago

Thank you soooo much for the HM!!
    The HE?? part in the HM comment I would leave that for interpretation, which is why I intentionally included the second person persepictive.
    Congratulations winners and HMs, really great poetry this week :)

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Love, love, love all of them! Thank you Larry for hosting and our panel.of judges for making the tough choices.

• Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

Thanks, Larry for hosting and well done to our front page heroes and our truly worthy HM's. As for our judges - thanks, guys.

• D.
    5 years ago

Always a pleasure to share the front page with you, dear maple! Also, congratulations Aegis! A great poem.

Thank you once more for the lovely, thoughtful comments, judges. I cherish every word as always. Keep on being awesome guys!

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Well done to the winners. Thank you so much to the judges for their time and comments on my poems.

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Congrats to the winners! Thanks to Larry for posting, to our judges and a special thanks for the HM and comment. Sometimes I can only process my mental health through writing.

• naaz
    5 years ago

Love you all!

Thank you judges, moderators.

Congratulations!